Upcoming hysterectomy, TLH 2/11/20, prep question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy, TLH 2/11/20, prep question Upcoming hysterectomy, TLH 2/11/20, prep question

Unread 01-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy, TLH 2/11/20, prep question

So my TLH is scheduled for February 11th. I’ve already had my pre op appointment with my doc back in December. My pre op at the hospital is January 31st. I noticed on my order to take to the hospital, my doc ordered no prep at all. No bowel prep and no special wash or wipes for the skin. He also only ordered blood work for the pre op. No EKG or anything like I see most people get. Anyone else have doctors that did this? Is this standard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2020, 04:32 PM
Re: Upcoming TLH 2/11/20, prep question

Hi there,

I had my TLH on 10/24 and the only prep I had was pre-op bloodwork and Hibicleanse (sp?) to use the night before and the morning of in the shower. I didn't have an EKG, bowel prep or any other further testing.

Best wishes for your surgery!
Unread 01-15-2020, 05:25 PM

Hi

So each doctor/hospital policies of pre-surgery requirements are different. I only had a pre-op appt with my surgeon and blood work at hospital before surgery. Consider yourself lucky you get out of bowel prep

good luck on your upcoming surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2020, 06:50 PM

I just had TLH 2days ago. Several weeks before did b!oodwork at my dr office and got prescription s from my dr/surgeon. Hospital called week before and gave me the instructions on hebiclens (fyi... One bottle will get you 2 washes) and no eating or drinking 8 hours prior to surgery. Then they did pregnancy test and blood work morning of surgery which included CBC and blood type. I didn't have to do anything beyond that.
Unread 01-16-2020, 06:20 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy, TLH 2/11/20, prep question

There's no one size fits all when it comes to pre-op instructions. What's important is that you (and all members) follow your own doctor's orders to the letter--nothing more, nothing less--so that you will be prepped the way your doctor wants you to be.

Best wishes to you for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 01-16-2020, 06:40 AM

Morning! I have my TLH on 2/11 as well and don't have any instructions for a bowel prep either (which would thrill me quite frankly!). I just rec'd my "book" from the Cleveland Clinic yest. and it has a check list but nothing is checked off yet. I am supposed to bring it to my pre op appt. on 1/29. I have 4 appts. that day. Appt. with my surgeon, appt. with the nurse, lab work and then an interview. Not sure what the interview is all about. I will be curious to hear what procedures you are given at your pre op appt.
Unread 01-16-2020, 07:09 AM

I just had blood work and a test for MRSA.
Unread 01-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Thank for all your replies. Make no mistake, I’m definitely not complaining about not having a bowel prep! I was just curious as to what other’s doctors ordered because mine didn’t order much of anything.
Unread 01-16-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMU88 View Post
Thank for all your replies. Make no mistake, I’m definitely not complaining about not having a bowel prep! I was just curious as to what other’s doctors ordered because mine didn’t order much of anything.
Mine was no eating after midnight but I could have water or black coffee up to two hours before surgery.

No bowel prep

I had a skin wash to use the night before

I did not have an EKG

Something that my surgeon didn't say anything about but I did was start eating lightly the couple of days prior to surgery. Your first bowel movement might take several days and in order to be okay with that lapse in time and to make it easier - I recommend having your "last meal" three days prior and then the two days before eating light and easy to digest foods. I feel like that really helped me since I didn't have a bowel movement until 4 days post op.
Unread 01-16-2020, 10:31 AM

You’re lucky if you don’t have to do all that stuff. I had to do a bowel prep, bloodwork, ekg and go to the hospital for a pre-surgery interview where they went over everything! Luckily because of my medical history I had a printed out sheet with all me meds, surgeries, doctors and their specialties and all my disorders, medical conditions etc. Really looking forward to crossing off PMDD and PCOS. 😁

Off I go!
TTFN
Melissa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register