2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Unread 10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
New Here

I just got home from hospital about an hour ago. Feel kinda like a mack truck rolled over me and parked. I had a full hysterectomy done on 10/4/07. Should have been home sooner but when they got in there they found a bunch of infection on the right side, not only in tubes but in abdominal wall itself so had to do IV antibiotics as well. I have never been much of a cryer but sat night I woke up at 330 and bawled for 5 hours straight. You only had to look at me to set off the tears again. I have walked and walked and walked. I drug the IV pole all around the hospital trying to stay ahead of the gas. I can handle the pain what I am most struggling with is the emotions. I know it will pass but i sure wish it would hurry on by.

I just called the dr to let him know that I seem to be allergic to the estogen patches. I have a huge red welt that itches like crazy. Nurse said they would have to call in a prescription for me.

This being female aint for wimps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Incision Burning...

Hi Girls!
My surgery was Friday October 5th.

When I stand up, there is burning pain, mostly on the left side at the incision. Doc said in the hospital it was the location of where ligaments were tied together and should go away soon.

Right side almost no burning, but left side consistant when I move or sit up and whew! when I stand up. Suck in air, suck in air to get thru the pain... got it. ok, let air out. Houston, we have standing!

I've been in bed. Taking pain meds and anti-inflammatories as directed. Sure liked that morphine pump better when I was in the hospital. Maybe I should call doc and tell him pain is not being addressed with every six hours of pain med.. Lortab, I think.

The burning has me wondering what other people experiences have been with this little complication that is causing me misery at the moment.

Bowels still rumbling, lots of gas and loose. Yuk. So gross. I've been sucking on that plastic air machine to make my lungs stay open and clear. The LAST thing I want to do is cough.

But this burning.... (bottom lip stuck out) poor me.
Unread 10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Not a good day today.

It's been a week and things have been progressing well. I've pretty much done away with the Percosets and only take advil as needed. Today, though, I got all emotional and crying. I don't know why. My belly hurts. Not the incision but above it in the swelly part.

I'm feeling sorry for myself, too. I almost ordered flowers today since so one else has sent any. See, I'm being whiny. My DH has been awesome! Thank goodness we have each other. We're both retired so we're used to being around each other all day. I think he's finally getting tired of waiting on me so I've been trying to do more and more to give him a break. He tells me to get back to bed and he gets whatever it is I need. He's been great!

Sorry I haven't been updating more. I really don't feel like sitting at the desk for very long.

Best wishes to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2007, 05:31 PM

Hold on there, Love2Knit
Ordering flowers for yourself is ok. Tell your DH to get you some, you'll like them much more, even though you had to tell him, he gets to pick them out and that personalizes it for you.

I'm taking Climara, estogen patch so I'm hoping no crying spells. My DH is taking care of me. Right now he is at a meeting and out of the house so I'm alone and thinking of my burning belly. Oh well, I know in two weeks we will feel so much better, but until then... that is so far away.

The good news, we are period free! Yea!
Oh where, Oh where has my uterus gone, oH where oh where can it be??? Now what would the funny second line be... and where is my mandolin??
Unread 10-09-2007, 05:45 PM

well i guess i will try my ab lounge tomarrow after reading all this. I hope it doesnt hurt bad i am allready physicaly fit so mabey it wont be so bad. has anyone had sex befor the 6 wk mark? if so r u ok?
Unread 10-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Hi there,
I am reading that alot of my sisters are from the U.S. I am from Canada.
My surgery was October 4/ I was in a semi private room in the local hospital. The biggest decision I made was the spinal and heavy sedation vs the general anesthetic. What a difference in the recovery. The spinal is a one time shot that freezes you from the waist down to your toes. I was concerned about waking up during the surgery however they assured me that I wouldn't. It was weird how supposedly I had this conversation with the anesthesiologist during the operation. Oops hopefully I didn't reveal any secrets. lol
I was woken up shortly after my operation and remember speaking to my husband. He said he wanted to stay and stayed for an extra 5 hours. I do remember some of the conversations however I was on percoset and morphine pump. I was really proud not to be using the narcotics too much until the second night when I really the importance of using them. The nurse believe that the freezing was coming out and feeling the pain.
All in all it wasn't a bad experience. We are going into an election year and it was sad to see so many patients in the hallway at the hospital. I stayed in hospital for 3 days. I was offered to stay an extra day however it was my husband that washed me and help me to walk and eat. So many patients and not enough nurses. I decided to give someone in the hallway a chance for a room. Nothing beat home right.

That was my trip at hospital and will report back in couple of days. Baby steps. Sorry things are a little fuzzy stills.
Time for snooze and will report back soon
New Begin
Unread 10-09-2007, 05:47 PM

i would like to know how to chat with u ladies privatly i am just learning how 2 use this computer.
Unread 10-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Swelly Belly

Hi Ladies,

My surgery was Friday, October 5 and I really am doing much better then I thought I would be doing. I went out to breakfast today and then took a walk around K Mart, my mom was looking for something and I figured walking is walking, well I tell you I got home changed back into my PJs and rested the entire afternoon. I can't believe how tired I get doing the slightest little thing.

I am not aking any pain meds, I told the doctor I didn't think I would need an RX and so far since Sunday I have taken maybe 4 Alleve. The gas pains are getting better but I think its because I have been walking like crazy.

Sitting is not so much fun and my belly is hard and swollen, its a good thing I lost 45 pounds before the surgery or I would have nothing that fits me, I can't believe how swollen my stomach is.

I go to the doctor tomorrow to remove my staples, I feel like I can do an office supply store commercial I have so many staples in me, my husband said its just like when we close the gazebo up for the winter (not very pretty in my mind). I must say the doctor did a very neat job and it is very low so wont really get int the way of my regular undies or jeans when I can get back into them.

The one good thing about the swelly belly is I can't really eat or drink to much at one time, I feel stuffed right away.

Well I will sign in tomrrow after my first post op visit and let you all know how it went.

Hang in there ladies we will get thru this faster then we think just remember how long the pre surgery wait felt.
Unread 10-09-2007, 05:54 PM

The abdominal exerciser??!?!?!?!?!?

Have you lost your mind?
Stitches need weeks to heal.
One trip on that and you will mostl likely be back in the operating room.

OMG!
Unread 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM
No stitches, no staples...

My doctor did all the stitches on the inside, very impressive. The incision is very thin, there are no frankenstein marks and all the stitches are internal to dissolve in two months time.

There is only one spot that is more open, where he must have ended it all and that will heal nicely looks like it anyway.

So, loosely covered with gauze and tape, no oozing, no drainage, no staples, no stitches. Amazing.

Quite a talented guy, I think.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register