Studies about Soy and Black Cohosh - INFORMATION ONLY DO NOT REPLY - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Studies about Soy and Black Cohosh - INFORMATION ONLY DO NOT REPLY Studies about Soy and Black Cohosh - INFORMATION ONLY DO NOT REPLY

Unread 12-22-2003, 08:38 PM
can soy make you have heart pals.....

i have been taking a soy drink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2003, 11:28 AM
whole soy not a pill effective (new study)

Here's another study in the pursuit of a better picture about what will help--

This was a study of monkeys in surgical menopause. They had whole soy protein, cow's milk protein, and cow's milk protein with soy isoflavones. Only the whole soy protein decreased the risk of artery clogging, through lower levels of LDL cholesterol.

During the study, researchers led by Dr. Janice D. Wagner, of Wake Forest University, fed 60 monkeys an unhealthy diet for two months. The monkeys were then split into three feeding groups for an additional 20 weeks, in which one group got all their protein from soy, another ate only milk protein, while the rest ate milk protein plus the isoflavones genistein, daidzein and glycitein

Reporting in the journal Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, Wagner and her colleagues found that soy-fed monkeys

So, as a researcher said, "you can't substitute an isoflavone pill for the soy protein and get the same benefit."

SOURCE: Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, December 2003.
Unread 01-05-2004, 05:31 AM
herbs that also help with this insanity

flax seed, flax seed, flax seed...not oil or cereal or crushed. spend the extra 3 bucks and buy flax seed. keep refrigerated and just put them in your cereal or plain...This is wonderful for your skin and appears to rid the body of all the toxins we have..As for soy milk, I put mine in the freezer and eat it as icecream, or a smoothy..actually its wonderful and for me I would have gagged if it wasn't..Here I thought the hyster would make me feel so much better...Now into 9 weeks and now I am spotting, cranky, sad and just miserable..though I forgot to renew my patch I think that might be the cause..With all the techo today why can't they find something that keeps us healthy..Also, since I started spotting my family is all over me to lay down...I am calling this morning to get my old friends back black cohash and flax seed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Black Cohash and Evening Brimrose

I opted to not take HRT. I suffered with the hot flashes and my daughter draged me to the heath food store and the book Memopausal Years by Susan Weed. Also the herb section.
So I came home with the book and both Black Cohash and the Evening Primrose.
Me being about 48 had a lot to do with the menapause book. I just could not stand the hot flashes.
Well after I had been on the herbs for about a month there was a difference. I did not notice that until I ran out of the herbs and then the hot flashes started again. So I got back on them.

I had read that there were good studies on the effects of the Evening Primrose and that had me check out to be sure that I was taking the recommended amount of that.
I take both with my vitamins.
So far I feel fine and the hot flashes are minimal. But is there anyway that I can boost my estrogen without taking HRT. I am concerned about the calcium levels in my body.
Now that I am perimenapausal and have problems with my bones. I am concidering the HRT but do not want to go that route if there is something else that could help.

But it is important that my boy still be able to obsorb calcium and that will end once you are finished if not during menapause.
Or am I doomed to more bone problems thanks to my mothers genes!
Unread 05-08-2004, 06:14 PM
black cohosh

take black cohosh with the understanding that if you have undetected breast cancer it can cause it to spread to your lungs.
Unread 05-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Studies about Soy and Black Cohosh - INFORMATION ONLY DO NOT REPLY

I am due May 19th to have a TAH along with both ovaries..I have been searching for an alternative to HRT as well..matter of fact that is how I found this wonderful site...I also came across a site for an herbal formular called Olivia's secret..I plan on trying this...it contains black cohosh ...false unicorn root...licorice root...dandelion root geritian root and juniper berry .. Some of these herbs are supposed to have calming effects..any thoughts on this? I purchased a bottle and brought it to my GYN ..he said it just may work...has anyone out there ever tried it? the manufactures say 30 to 60 days to realise full benefits.
My bio sister just had her TAH last November and has been on a roller coaster ride with the HRT program she is on since then.( btw..I told her about this site). So I figure what the heck it's gonna be a battle no matter what road I chose. so again my question..anyone ever try it? If not I'll let you all know... As with everything time will tell..and ALWAYS check with your own doctor for any kind of interactions with meds you may be on before doing any herbs. be blessed gals
Unread 06-30-2004, 08:22 PM

this is so interesting and I'm just beinning to learn.

I have an article "hot flashes and alternative therapies" by MD Dept. of OB-GYN, ACMC
"Some of the following are classifies as phytoestrogens. These are compounds that are derived from plants and bind to the place in cells where estrogen nomally binds. They have some of the same effects as estrogen on those cells. There is a lot of research being done with this class of compounds. The hope is that they may be useful in preventing cancer but their safty in patients who should avoid all estrogen (such as those with breast cancer) is unknown.

Alot of alternative supp. seem to work but I can't take them due to the cancer in my family. I have been told to take Vit. E, calcium/mag. with a multivitamin.

"Black Cohosh- cimicefuga racemosa, a memeber of the buttercup family
It is a phtoestrogen and may bind to estrogen receptors.
The most common source is Remifemin at 20mg twice daily up to 6mo.
Uncertain safety for long term use because its effect on the lining of the uterus (endometrial cancer risk) is unknown until longer studies are done"

So, what about us who have no uterus? I don't know.

"Nausea is the most common side effect
Higher doses are associated with headaches, vomiting and dizziness.
See precaution about phtoestrogen
No drug interactions reported."

"Soy-
Soy and other legumes contain isoflavones which are types of phytoestrgens. Some specific isoflavones are genestein, daidzein and glycetein. You may see them in the ingredient list of some supplements. Processed soy products (soy milk and tofu) availavle in the US may not be as removed in processing. Soy tablets are not effective. These doses are not protective for osteoporosis.
Side effects - none - See the precaution aobut phytoestrogens"
"Evening primrose: associated with seizures if used with certain antihistamines"

As with any thing you need to make sure what you are taking is ok with whatever else you are taking.

Autum
Unread 07-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Supplements...

I know that alot of people think that if it is "Natural" it is safe...and that is NOT the case(arsenic IS natural as is plutonium). If you are not supposed to take estrogen than please be warned that phytoestrogens that act like estrogens act that way because they ARE estrogens...education is your best ally and defense. No one can ever know TOO much about what they are taking and a doctor CAN be as wrong as your next door neighbor! IF you put it into your body it is YOUR resposibility to know what it will do while it is in there...

Roni
Unread 07-12-2004, 02:31 PM

This is in response to AUtum's post re: report from ACMC, whatever that is!

It is my understanding that Black Cohosh is not an estrogen-type herb and does not work by binding to estrogen receptors in the body. While estrogen and "natural" estrogens could have a major impact on breast cancer, again, Black Cohosh is not in the same family of drugs or herbs as the estrogens.

I am starting Black Cohosh today and will report results re hot flashes and night sweats.

I'd appreciate and cited, documented references re: Black Cohosh. I'm familiar with the German double-blind study but don't recall any info on side effects.
Unread 07-12-2004, 03:02 PM

Here is a well cited and documented source of info on Black Cohosh:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/BlackCohosh.asp

There is no information here that supports the uncited article at Breastcancer.org which claims black cohosh causes breast cancer (if you have it) to move to the lungs.

The above-gov article does say that there is conflicitng data on whether or not BC has estrogen-like properties. This article is not that supportive of BC, but is well documented and cites many recent studies.

This really is a jungle!
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register