Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 23-Aug 29,2021 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 23-Aug 29,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 23-Aug 29,2021

Unread 08-23-2021, 04:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 23-Aug 29,2021

If your hysterectomy was between Aug 23-Aug 29,2021 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your hysterectomy recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns instead of including the question in your update! There is information on how to start a new thread in this link: New Here? or you can use this link: Post a New Topic in the Post-Op forum.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

We hope you are recovering well with plenty of rest and water and a bit of walking. Don't forget to pamper the princess!

How to use the Recovery Progress Reports thread:

• 1. This thread is for the purpose of sharing updates on your recovery as you heal from your hysterectomy.

• 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress and to share encouragement with your surgery week Sisters.

• 3. Remember to start a new thread on the Post-Op message board to ask your questions.

• 4. The Progress Report threads now begin in our special forum for all Hysterectomy Recovery Reports and will remain there for you to always find your discussion.
  • 5. Remember all the love and support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Support forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of women helping women!
  • 6. You can also share support and experiences with post-op members in all phases of recovery in the Post-Op Hysterectomy Support forum by replying on the new threads they create.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2021, 05:28 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 23-Aug 29,2021

Dear sweeties -

You made it !!!
I’m thrilled to see you on the recovery side and on this thread .
I know this website and my own recovery forum was vital to me during my own recovery in 2017.
I’ll check in with you every day to see how you are doing and to try to answer your questions .

For now ::
rest up and drink your water !
Walk a little and take your meds !

xoxo
Unread 08-24-2021, 08:58 AM

Hi everyone,
I had my surgery yesterday morning at 7:30 and was discharged around 1-2pm. It apparently went well and the doctor found some endometriosis, which explains some of the pain I had experienced.

Back home yesterday, I was pretty tired. I took multiple naps on my zero gravity chair and ate some light food. The pain has been constant, but not too strong, so I'm foregoing the oxicodin for now. Just alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen. I was given some anti-nausea, which is working and is great.

The shoulder gas pain is here too, as well as at my right diaphragm (I think), but it's manageable. I may be lucky here. No BM yet, but I'm starting to fart more often today. It also still burns a bit when I pee, but I think it's better than yesterday and the nurse said it was likely normal. I'll monitor it though.

Plan for today: Rest, walk a bit, watch TV and nap.

I hope everyone's surgery went or goes well this week!
It can only get better from here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2021, 06:27 PM

Leeninglion-
glad to see you here on this thread!
I always marvel at our healthsystem and wish that everyone could stay at the hospital for a few nights. But then again perhaps not right now with the pandemic....

Good news on releasing gas!!
Let it out whenever you have the urge. Plip plip plip, I remember telling my family excitedly about this, they laughed!

Your plan to rest and watch TV is perfect.
Rest rest rest.
Do walk a little bit, just a bit. And be kind to yourself, and take your meds on time. They key is to stay ahead of the pain. And if you need a rx painkiller then take it! Your sugery was just yesterday so you may need something stronger than over the counter meds.
Just one thing: Write down when you take your meds. I remember being quite fuzzy brained and jotting this down helped me remember when it was time to take more meds (or that it wasn't time yet).

Sending a gentle hug!
Unread 08-24-2021, 07:18 PM

Hi Mamihen,
Thank you for your message. Yes, I am resting a lot in my anti-gravity chair, but still walk around every hour or so. I feel lucky that I had my first BM already. It made me nervous, but it went fine. The burning sensation when I pee is also gone, and I'm better at emptying my bladder. To be honest, right now, my biggest pain is the one on the right of my diaphragm. It increases when I'm lying down and makes speaking a little bit tough. Is this something others have experienced? I think it's because of the gas, but I'm not sure.

Another thing I have noticed today is that my hands are very warm, but I do not have a fever. It's a bit weird.
Unread 08-25-2021, 06:11 AM

sweeties!

Let me see what I can find about gas pains, since all of us have gas after the surgery, but our sisters with a laparascopic surgery really do suffer.

Here we go:
During a laparoscopic surgery for hysterectomy, CO2 gas is used to fill the abdomen and lift it away from the internal organs, giving the surgeon a better view for the procedure. Even though the CO2 is removed following surgery, the gas can become trapped against the diaphragm, causing pain and discomfort that can then radiate into the shoulder because of pressure on the phrenic nerve.

Heat and pain medications often bring relief. Try using two heating pads—one on the front and one on the back of the affected shoulder. If you are not taking medication for pain, ask your doctor which one might work best to alleviate your gas-related pain.

Also for the shoulder pain, some hospitals recommend lying on your side and bringing your knees up to your chest for 5–15 minutes. This can be difficult after a hysterectomy though, so check with your doctor first. Lying on your back with your hips elevated on several pillows may also help.

To help dissipate intestinal gas, consider peppermint tea, ginger ale, or carrot juice. Some doctors recommend drinking warm liquids. Carbonated drinks should be avoided for a few days.

Walking may help any trapped gas to dissipate, and over-the-counter gas aids could help with any intestinal gas issues.

Within a few days, the pain should subside.

As always, check with your doctor for advice before trying any medications, including over-the-counter products.

Sending a hug!

Unread 08-25-2021, 12:10 PM

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery yesterday (Aug,24) at 8:30am and was released around 2pm after being able to pee.

My doctor told my husband that the surgery was successful and I came back from the anesthesia with light side effect (dry mouth and sore throat).

I had difficult to pee at first time in the hospital, even feeling that the bladder was full, because it was burning a lot. But after 2 attempts I was able to empty my bladder.

I came home feeling strong and happy, light pain that become strong when my bladder is too full.

I started taking pain medication that was prescribed from my doctor late afternoon yesterday and this morning after waking up with a strong pain due to a cough that happened because my throat was too dry.

The first night was better than I was expected. I tried to not lay down so I arranged a lot of pillows to sleep in a comfortable reclined position. I had to stand up several times to pee and to drink water. Also had pain on my right shoulder and on the right of my diaphragm during the night so I took a gas relief (simethicone 125mg) that helped but not make the pain disapear.

Today I am feeling great, resting in my recliner watching TV, drinking a lot of water and walking few steps every hour to help the gas relief. I am feeling more bloated today due to the gas that I am trying to relieve but I am afraid of making lot of effort to fart and feel pain.

I was glad to read LeeningLion post-op comments here so I could see that what I am experiencing is similar. Hope all of you have a good and smooth recovery process.

Gentle hugs to all hyster sisters.
Unread 08-25-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnsilva View Post
Hi everyone,

I had my surgery yesterday (Aug,24) at 8:30am and was released around 2pm after being able to pee.

My doctor told my husband that the surgery was successful and I came back from the anesthesia with light side effect (dry mouth and sore throat).

I had difficult to pee at first time in the hospital, even feeling that the bladder was full, because it was burning a lot. But after 2 attempts I was able to empty my bladder.

I came home feeling strong and happy, light pain that become strong when my bladder is too full.

I started taking pain medication that was prescribed from my doctor late afternoon yesterday and this morning after waking up with a strong pain due to a cough that happened because my throat was too dry.

The first night was better than I was expected. I tried to not lay down so I arranged a lot of pillows to sleep in a comfortable reclined position. I had to stand up several times to pee and to drink water. Also had pain on my right shoulder and on the right of my diaphragm during the night so I took a gas relief (simethicone 125mg) that helped but not make the pain disapear.

Today I am feeling great, resting in my recliner watching TV, drinking a lot of water and walking few steps every hour to help the gas relief. I am feeling more bloated today due to the gas that I am trying to relieve but I am afraid of making lot of effort to fart and feel pain.

I was glad to read LeeningLion post-op comments here so I could see that what I am experiencing is similar. Hope all of you have a good and smooth recovery process.

Gentle hugs to all hyster sisters.
Hi abnsilva,
I am glad to see other women here. You look like you are doing well so far, that’s great!

I am also glad that you found my posts useful. I hope you continue feeling better.
Unread 08-25-2021, 02:51 PM

I’m on day 2 post op and today is harder than yesterday. I probably did not eat enough for breakfast, which led me to be a bit nauseous. I also needed to poop and tried a few times before it worked, so there was a lot of getting up to go to the bathroom. I still feel I could empty more, but I am not forcing anything. I’m scared of forcing when I need to pass gas as well. How long do we need to be this careful after the surgery?

Today, I have been feeling a lot more anxious than yesterday. I am paying such close attention to my body that anything weird makes me wonder if there’s something wrong. For example, my left arm feels a bit numb, which scares me. I can use it normally and this numbness has happened in the past (when holding a book in bed for example) so I think it is normal, but I’m still scared of DVT. This does not help my nausea… so, I am meditating and resting a lot today. Took a nap this morning and I’m about to take another one. I’m keeping on top of my meds and don’t feel much pain. I just feel discomfort. I hope I feel better tomorrow. I’ve read that this recovery is often 3 steps forward, two steps back, so I understand that things can get worse before getting better. I also think that this feeling today is due to the anesthesia getting flushed out. I just wish I was feeling much better already
Unread 08-25-2021, 06:07 PM

My hysterectomy was yesterday, Tuesday 8/24. Report time was 11:45, but the operating room was so behind that my surgery didn't happen until 6pm. So my husband and I sat in the pre-op room for 6 hours. I felt sick to my stomach because I was sooo hungry. I hadn't eaten since dinner on Monday. Surgery took about 2 hours. The Dr told my husband that it went very well. We got a hotel room to stay in last night, just down the street from the hospital, since the hospital is nearly 2 hours from our house. I'm glad we did that because it was 9:30pm by the time we left the hospital. I notice that it takes a lot longer for me to urinate and it burns, they say from having had a catheter. When does that burning stop? I don't remember having that burning after my mastectomy surgery, and I definitely had a catheter then too. My appetite is good. They have me anti-nausea meds in the IV. They also gave me an anti-nausea patch behind my ear. The patch works for 72 hours. They gave me an antibiotic in the IV, but didn't send me home with any antibiotics. They gave me 5 oxycodone pills. Also said to alternate acetaminophen and ibuprofen. My lower abdomen feels heavy, but only somewhat painful. I'm using a heating pad on my belly. Very tired so I've been on the recliner for most of the day, but making sure I'm drinking plenty of water and getting up and walking around the house to keep the blood circulating.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register