Preparing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Preparing

Hi Everyone! I am scheduled to have a TVH on Dec 16th. I am extremely nervous! Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can prepare. More specifically on what kinds of foods/drinks I should be having in my house. I hear cranberry juice for bowel issues, but is there anything else that I should stock up on? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Re: Preparing

I just had that exact surgery. Good luck!! I bought a giant water container to store cold water that dispenses with a level in my fridge. Super easy to fill up before I went to the hospital and it was nice and cold when I got home. I too got cranberry juice and prune juice as you will most likely get constipated. That will help push things through I also stocked up on easy meals. Some things I prepped and froze and then I had a ton of canned soups and soda crackers. Those were so handy the first few days. And make sure you have a heating pad on hand! That was the best thing ever when I got home. Your abdomen will be tender, applying the heating pad on low heat for 20 minutes or so at a time is amazing!! Just don't fall asleep with it on, you don't want to get burns. I hope this helps. I am just two weeks out but I feel fantastic! It's hard to remember I just had a major surgery because I don't feel like it.
Unread 12-03-2013, 04:33 PM

Mine is also scheduled dec 16th @ 1pm TAH with removal of both ovaries. I am 31, married 9 years with 3 kids. I am nervous as well. Have had 4 laparoscopic surgeries done for these female issues but still super nervous. My surgery is expected to last 2 hours as long as there are no complications. I've never been out under for that long before but I know to us it seems like we are just out for a few minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2013, 07:56 PM

You will want to keep meals mild - not spicy or gassy. Your bowels will thank you for that!

Prepare frozen meals that you can just pop in the microwave. You will not have the energy, nor be in the mood, to cook much. Keep breakfasts and lunches simple as well. I did breakfasts of oatmeal and yogurt, and just got those ready-made frozen meals for lunch.

You will also need:
-loose fitting clothes like sweat pants or yoga pants; loose fitting dresses also work.
-underwear one size too big for you
-small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (I used a throw pillow from one of my couches)
-large pillow to put over your tummy to protect against pet visits while sleeping (if applicable)
- blankets and pillows for a recovery corner
- DVDs/reading - keep these light - to entertain your brain

Hope this helps!

Unread 12-03-2013, 10:16 PM

I, too, am having a laparoscopic assisted hysterectomy on December 16! I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow and I'm beginning to get nervous. It's starting to get real! :-/ Great question--thank you for asking it. These are also things I need to know. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Unread 12-04-2013, 01:45 AM

Prunes!!! Prunes and maybe some more prunes!! But seriously, have some light easy things ready to snack on, things you really enjoy that are easy to digest while you might not feel so great, yoghurt, custurd, rice pudding, ice cream all that sort of stuff!!! And one major thing I didn't have that I wish I did was stool softeners and gas x!!!!
All the best and we will be here for you at the other end xxx
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:17 AM

I bought everything that every woman on this site recommended! Lol my surgery was on Monday and the one must have is the binder that you can purchase on here! I have very little pain and the binder feels good on! Like it's holding everything together. The other item I LOVE e is the softy bras, so comfy!

I bought different foods, fudgsicles, soup, crackers, tapioca, jello and easy munchie stuff.

Good luck with your surgery!!!
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:34 AM

I had TAH Wednesday. Got home yesterday. I have been eating healthier, high protein, high fiber, multivitamins. Lots of water. I started gas x in the hospital. I am starting colace this morning. I alternate between Percocet and op ibuprofen for pain. Right after surgery, they gave me ice pack for my belly. It felt like it was on fire, seriously! That was a relief. besides that my back hurt a bit. So a heating pad is helpful. Otherwise sleeping on a few pillows is helpful. Loose fitting clothes. Easy slip on shoes. So far, it has been an very easy recovery. best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register