Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: scared about general anesthesia - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: scared about general anesthesia Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: scared about general anesthesia

Unread 01-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: scared about general anesthesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody38 View Post
The doctor quote me with the laparoscopic procedure I will go home the next day but of he has to do an abdominal incision then it will be 3-4 days
Those sound like the typical times. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2015, 06:13 PM

Hi melody,

Your worries are so like many of us. But from my experience they really have things down to perfection. Most of us don't know when we went to sleep or when we woke up. And the after effect are so minimal. You are going to wake up just fine. I am going to be your SunshineSister so I will be on the other side waiting for you on your Recovery Progress Report thread. So see you when you are ready to post after you wake up. By the way try and go to your User PC and update your profile with your surgery date, surgery type, and any other info you want to share with your sisters. I always am interested in where my sisters are in this wide world. Have had them from all over. Talk to you later on next week.

Hugs,
Anndy
Unread 01-16-2015, 06:15 PM

Melody38, I had a similar surgery to yours (except everything removed) and was absolutely terrified of going under GA. If you search the preop board for my thread from early November you will see what a state I was in. Everything turned out just fine with the anaesthesia. Preop testing is where you usually talk to someone from anesthesia abt your history and concerns. Remember it is the job of the anesthesiologist to make sure you are ok. They sit beside your head during surgery and focus only on ensuring you're doing well. They don't interact with those doing the surgery unless they have to. They can reverse the effects if you have any reaction.

I did a few things to get myself to feel better. My dr let me bring my phone and earbuds into OR and I put on Pherrell Williams song Happy to distract myself when they were putting me under. I was in recovery for only a short time, chatting with the techs wheeling me into my room and then with my husband. IV and Catheter out early next morning and walking the halls immediately after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2015, 06:19 PM

Thanks Anndy big hugs to you
Unread 01-16-2015, 06:22 PM

Thanks LesileCi
Unread 01-16-2015, 06:23 PM

I had the divinchi robotic surgery last Friday 1-9-15 . .all I have left is my ovaries . Main issue was I can't handle pain meds. And constipation was horrific. My advice is on 3rd day take magnesium citrate so you don't have to deal with that. I went to store today with friends for groceries. .
Unread 01-16-2015, 06:33 PM

Pamtam75 how are you feeling now do you experience any hot flashes yet
Unread 01-17-2015, 10:18 PM

May I ask if you ladies asked for the epidural or if it was offered? I have woken up during 3 of the last 4 procedures I have had so I am a bit nervous, I think I would like the added protection of the epidural
Unread 01-18-2015, 07:32 AM

MrsHudson, I wasn't offered an epidural, but perhaps since mine was DaVinci robotic there are special issue that prevent that from being an option.
I can only imagine how terrifying it must be to wake up during surgery. What general anaesthesia were you under when this happened?
Unread 01-18-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHudson221b View Post
May I ask if you ladies asked for the epidural or if it was offered? I have woken up during 3 of the last 4 procedures I have had so I am a bit nervous, I think I would like the added protection of the epidural
I was told I was having an epidural, no ifs, ands or buts. The anesthesiologist told me it would be better for pain management and indeed, my pain management was excellent! :-)

I had abdominal surgery with a three-day hospital stay. That may have influenced the anesthesiologist's decision, since once the epidural catheter was in, it could be left in until the morning of the third day to provide pain meds.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register