Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 19, 2021 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 19, 2021 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 19, 2021

Unread 09-19-2021, 01:13 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 19, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethechange170 View Post
Hi all!

Surgery is tomorrow and I am feeling a bit apprehensive. Even though this ain't my first rodeo (numerous other surgeries, four gyno-related), this is the first time I've had so many things done at once, i.e. ovary, tube, uterus, cervix. Anyway, on a lighter note, good luck to all!

bethechange170
bethechange It is very normal to be anxious and apprehensive. I have had a number of surgeries and I was still nervous. Take a deep breath dear … you can do this. You will be in good hands and your medical team will take good care of you.

dear … remember you are not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2021, 02:23 PM

First Surgery?

For those having their first surgery ever this week, I understand how stressful this is! Here are a few articles to let you know what to expect when you arrive at the hospital.

First Surgery – Hysterectomy

If Hysterectomy is Your First Surgery Part 1

If Hysterectomy is Your First Surgery Part 2

If Hysterectomy is Your First Surgery Part 3
The waiting is really the hardest part, because of all the unknowns. Once you are on the Other Side, it's a big relief. Remember you are not alone. There are many ladies here in the same boat with you, and we are always here when you need a hug.

Unread 09-19-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOliveTree View Post
Hello there,

I am 40 and live with my husband and two tiny dogs. My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday 9/22—I am having a total abdominal hysterectomy and salpingectomy. My ovaries will stay. I am having the hysterectomy because my uterus is really, really good at growing fibroids… I have many of them (the largest is 13 cm), and they are now so large and numerous that they are severely compressing my iliac veins, putting me at risk of a deep vein thrombosis (a blood clot in my legs). The vein compression was found on MRI this summer, and since then I’ve been on a blood thinner to prevent clots while I wait for surgery. I will need a vertical abdominal incision for the hysterectomy because of the size and location of the fibroids, and I’m a smaller human, so my surgeon says the incision will likely come above my belly button. She said to expect that I will stay in the hospital for at least two nights.

This is my first surgery, and abdominal surgery in particular feels so vulnerable! The vertical incision feels daunting...I wonder how much it will affect my mobility. My husband and mom will be my primary caregivers for those first weeks when my body will be particularly tender. I have watched videos about and practiced getting in and out of bed, and I have several belly pillows and 2 different abdominal binders. And grabbers!

I am grateful for this site and all who share their stories and support here... in my lurking I have learned so much and have been able to prepare (again, I have purchased A LOT of pillows). I am carrying a lot of hope into this surgery and recovery. I have been living with a great deal of pain, fatigue, and other symptoms from these tumors, and I hope and trust the surgery and recovery will eventually bring me a lot of space and freedom… not only in my body, but in my life.

With gratitude and healing wishes for all of you… see you in the recovery thread!
GreenOliveTree I'm so glad they found the iliac veins were being compressed ... especially before any blood clot formed. I understand how daunting a vertical incision sounds ... be sure to talk with your doctor/nurses about how to best protect your incision. It will be important to follow all of your restrictions ... no pushing, no pulling, no bending, and no lifting over a gallon of milk. Many of our ladies have found binders to be very helpful. I didn't use one after surgery but I did when I broke my ribs last summer ... I wish I had used one after surgery.

I'm glad that HysterSisters has helped you prepare for surgery. Praying with you the surgery will take care of the pain and fatigue you have been having. Remember exhaustion is a very normal part of this recovery. It tends to stay around for a bit ... please don't get discouraged, it will get better.

Best wishes on your surgery dear.
Unread 09-19-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgets6346 View Post
Good morning everyone!! I am scheduled for my surgery Wednesday, September 22nd. It will be done laparscopicly(I think I spelled that wrong lol) and they will be leaving my ovaries. I am very anxious about the surgery. I'm not sure why as I've had other surgeries without any issues. ..what should I anticipate after the surgery, how long were you experiencing severe pain and what did you do to occupy your time (I'm very active and not sure how I will do for 6-8 weeks being restricted) Thanks in advance!
Lgets6346 It is very normal to be anxious about surgery dear ... you can do this dear. Remember you will be in good hands and well taken care of.

We all heal at different rates and tolerate pain differently. The first weeks are more painful ... be sure to stay ahead of your pain by taking your meds on time. Many doctors recommend taking ibuprofen in-between pain meds so you don't have to play "catchup".

I understand about going from active to resting ... it can be hard. Many of our ladies do lots of reading, binge watching on netflix, crocheting or knitting, working on puzzles (both crossword and jigsaw). Try to set up face timing with friends and family.

Boredom Busters for Hysterectomy Recovery

How Long will the Pain Last

Best wishes dear.
Unread 09-19-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenldy View Post
Good morning,

My surgery is tomorrow morning and they are doing it laparoscopically removing ovaries, tubes, uterus and 3 different prolapse repairs. I am 56 yrs old and having the surgery because recently I found out that I have Lynch Syndrome, specifically MSH6 gene mutation, so my risk of ovarian or uterine cancer are extremely high.

The surgery itself, I am not anxious about and have had a few surgeries over the last few years including a bladder suspension. So I kind of know what to expect in terms of limitations. I am anxious, though, about going through menopause because I am still peri, sex afterwards and will I ever get my body back to the healthy state that it was at 5 yrs ago. I also suspect that they are going to find fibroids and endometriosis as I have had horrible periods for the last few years which I was just starting to have looked at when COVID hit.

I have a recovery basket with everything from the checklist on this site as well as a few other items that were suggested from a few YouTube videos I watched on hysterectomy recovery.

Good luck everyone!!!! I hope everyone's surgery goes smooth and I look forward to hearing about your recovery in the Recovery thread.
maidenldy ... I know the thought of prolapse repairs can be scary . . . you are having a lot of work done. My surgery was a dvTH/BSO plus enterocele and rectocele repairs, and my bladder was tacked up. My first repair work lasted for 20 years.

There are several things that I found very helpful:

Personal wipes are more soothing than tissue

Peri bottle for personal cleansing

Ice packs . . . I wet pads and froze them.

Sitz bath ONLY if approved by your doctor.

Thin pillow or cushion but not a donut cushion. (They create more vaginal pressure)

I also found a recliner to be the most comfortable for sitting . . . you can lean back and ease the pressure.

Having a BM can make you very anxious. It is important for you to try to relax when the time comes and DON'T STRAIN. Be sure to drink lots and lots, walk around every hour or so, and take your stool softener. Eating fiber rich foods is helpful . . . bran works wonders. Try propping up your feet on a short stool . . . this is known as the Squatty Potty position. I know it sounds "odd" but it changes the angle and helps everything to move better on its own.

Take a deep breath . . . you can do this. We have a PFBI forum to help you as you recover from your repairs, etc. Please come and join us if you have questions and need support.

One of the best ways to help prevent having another prolapse is to strictly follow all of your post op restrictions ... no pushing, no pulling, no bending, and no lifting over a gallon of milk. Each of those things put pressure on the pelvic floor and can cause a prolapse. It will also be very important to strengthen your Pelvic Floor muscles (this is more than kegels) ... it would be very worth talking to your doctor about Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy. I went through 4 months of therapy and my muscles are very strong. One more thing would be using vaginal estrogen cream to help strengthen your vaginal walls.

on your surgery my dear. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Unread 09-19-2021, 03:17 PM

Surgical menopause can be different for each woman, and this can cause some stress as it's hard to know what to expect. Doctors vary with regards to HRT, some women wake up in Recovery with a patch, and others may wait 6 weeks before starting it. Please keep in mind, that HRT can involve a little trial and error to get it just right. Here are some articles that may be useful for you:

6 Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgical Menopause

10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About HRT

Do This - Not That: Managing Surgical Menopause

You may also wish to browse through the Menopause Articles List, we have many articles on different types of HRT so you can do some research. Make a list of questions to ask your surgeon, and either call his office or ask him when you see him before your surgery.
Sending hugs for a safe surgery & easy menopause!

Unread 09-19-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMcD View Post
Hello!

I just found this site yesterday, and I’m so glad I did! I am 54 (not fully menopausal though) and I’m having robotic laparoscopic hysterectomy on Tuesday September 21st.

I’ve had several abnormal endometrial biopsies (although not cancer), endometrial hyperplasia, irregular endometrial stripe, and fibroids. After pain, cramping, and abnormal bleeding periodically, it’s time for a solution!

My dr hopes to leave my ovaries, unless she sees any issues or intraoperative pathology finds any cancer cells at all.

Normally I over prepare. But I’ve been reading comments last night, and I have prep to do today!

I’m a bit nervous about recovery. Keeping you all in my prayers!
EAMcD ... we're excitetd you found us. Remember you are not alone dear ... we will be with you each step of the way. I'm so glad that you and your Doctor have agreed that now is the time take care of the issues you have been having. you will be able to keep your ovaries.

It is ok if you don't get everything done. Do what you can ... it will be ok, honest.

Best wishes dear.

Unread 09-19-2021, 04:59 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 19, 2021

Hello, ladies! My hysterectomy is tomorrow morning, so I’m in the middle of the dreaded bowel prep. Ugh. My surgeon had me drink a bottle of magnesium citrate in the afternoon, and then I’m to give myself an enema in the evening (one hour from now)…SO not looking forward to the enema! I was very worried that the mag citrate would mess up my potassium (mine is chronically low), but it seems to be okay for now. I’m a bit bottom-sore, but it’s not terrible so far.

I’m keeping my cervix and ovaries, and having the uterus and tubes removed laparoscopically. After seven children, my uterus is starting to misbehave, so it’s time to set it free.

I hope everyone here has an uneventful experience, and an easy recovery!! Grace to all you ladies!
Unread 09-19-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenreine View Post
Good morning! My surgery is set for Friday, the 24th. I'm having a Laparoscopically Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy. I'm married, with kids, a cat, chickens and ducks. I've had two caesarian sections before but I was awake for those. This'll be my first time being "put under" so that is my main concern? But I'm not super super worried. I got diagnosed with adenomyosis earlier this year but I've been having troublesome periods since I started having them. I've had fibroids before so I'm expecting they'll find some more during the operation. The surgeon said my uterus was pretty big too. We'll see how it goes. Good luck to everyone!
ravenreine. Reading your post reminds me of growing up on our farm … I haven’t been around chickens or ducks in a very long time.

I’ve had quite a few surgeries … the anesthesia is what I dread most. You will be able to Talk to the Anesthesiologist before Your Hysterectomy. Please don’t hesitate to let him know your concern … he’ll be able to talk you through the process. They can also give you something to help calm you.

Best wishes dear … remember you are not alone.
Unread 09-19-2021, 10:59 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread Sep 20-Sep 26,2021

Our time today has come to an end - our Pre-Op Open House Chat Thread is now closed. Thank you to all our members who attended as we support one another - women helping women.

The staff of HysterSisters is sending you hugs for the best outcome for your hysterectomy.

As you wait for your scheduled surgery, if you have more questions, please start a new thread discussion here in Pre-op hysterectomy forum area.

Then, after your surgery, there will be a specially created thread for our members who have surgery this week. Look for it in the Post-op Hysterectomy Recovery forum - specifically the Hysterectomy Recover Reports forum with dates matching your surgery date. You will find your surgery sisters there.

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register