5 weeks post hysterectomy - feeling frustrated | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks post hysterectomy - feeling frustrated 5 weeks post hysterectomy - feeling frustrated

Unread 06-13-2021, 03:38 PM
5 weeks post hysterectomy - feeling frustrated

Hi All,

So it will be 5 weeks tomorrow since my operation so I thought I would post a little update. I also had my one month post op meeting with my consultant a few days ago.
My consultant told me Iím now allowed to do anything I want and can go back to Ďnormalí from this point.
Iíll be honest Iím not quite sure about that! Iím still getting really tired at various points of the day and the swelly belly doesnít seem to be getting any better.
Iím struggling a bit with feeling low right now as Iím frustrated with the healing process. I had hoped I would be able to exercise at this point (to try and loose some of the weight I have put on) but even though my consultant said I was allowed to I just donít feel ready to do anything other than walking right now.
Howís everyone else doing, is anyone else struggling with similar?
Thanks x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2021, 04:36 PM

My dr said 6 weeks i can do more but not nearly what is normal. She said 6 months is when you are really really healed up. 4 months she said is pretty darn healed and can pretty much do normal tasks again safely. Just listen to your body. I feel 5 weeks is too soon to act normal again. Its better to be too careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannaHyster44 View Post
Hi All,

So it will be 5 weeks tomorrow since my operation so I thought I would post a little update. I also had my one month post op meeting with my consultant a few days ago.
My consultant told me Iím now allowed to do anything I want and can go back to Ďnormalí from this point.
Iíll be honest Iím not quite sure about that! Iím still getting really tired at various points of the day and the swelly belly doesnít seem to be getting any better.
Iím struggling a bit with feeling low right now as Iím frustrated with the healing process. I had hoped I would be able to exercise at this point (to try and loose some of the weight I have put on) but even though my consultant said I was allowed to I just donít feel ready to do anything other than walking right now.
Thanks x
Unread 06-13-2021, 08:33 PM
Re: 5 weeks post hysterectomy - feeling frustrated

I think one of the misunderstanding is that when your doctor tells you you can resume ďpre surgeryĒ activities, youíll be as if nothing happened.

It is not, what your doctor is saying is you can resume life as youíre out of danger zone.

It doesnít mean you wonít ache or fell tired.

Healing is a long journey, be patient
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2021, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks x
Hi
I am 5 weeks post op today for a total hysterectomy abdominal. |I am getting pains on both sides of tummy when I have done my 20 min walk a day was hoping to increase this as of today but dont think im able to, i think it was probably where my ovaries were, is anyone else still having pain and swollen belly after 5 weeks. I dont have follow up appts with my surgeon im in the UK, but I did go and see my Dr 2 weeks ago and he felt my tummy and thinks all ok. im really not sure if walking has caused some damage...Any similar stories will be much appreciated..
Unread 06-14-2021, 06:04 AM

with our Sisters. Even though you've been released, you're not fully healed. The road to 100% healing takes 4, 6 months, with some traces like fatigue, occasional swelling or nerve twinges lingering longer. I didn't fully buy into it either, until I had a few more months in the rear view mirror. Our article How Long Will the Pain Last After Hysterectomy? is not really so much about the pain, but rather the view from 36,000 feet about this recovery. Another good article is Returning to Real Life After Hysterectomy. Key word... g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y.

I was released at 4 weeks; my doctor advised "Don't do anything crazy like swinging from the chandeliers" , not that I would've been able to. I got dull aches and swelling through 8 weeks, and beyond 8 weeks whenever I did more than my body was ready for. Sometimes it was activity specific, like power washing the front porch or shoving a 24-pack of soda over my head on a high shelf. One time it was an 18-hour day of working, driving, attending an outdoor concert and driving back home. I gradually (there's that keyword!) added back exercise, starting 2-3 weeks after my release date which was at 4 weeks. Cardio was low impact and I slowed the tempo, and I avoided core work. I added walk-run intervals, but kept my gait to a "shuffle" to minimize impact. By 12 weeks I was doing more, but still not full throttle. Last time at the mat with those girl-you-did-too-much symptoms was after kicking up the intensity of a core routine, and that happened at 5 months.

You'll likely notice improvements week by week rather than day by day. It's not really an "a-ha" moment either, but more the realization that "hey, I couldn't do [insert activity here] two weeks ago".

Unread 06-14-2021, 10:05 PM

I feel EXACTLY the same. Today is day 28 post-hysterectomy (I've just got my right ovary left, that's all that in there), and I don't have a check up for 2 more weeks, but literally everything you said is how I feel. I'm too exhausted most of the day, and I never can't tell when my pain is suddenly going to flare up and my belly to swell (even more so). How could I possibly spend a whole day teaching?

My belly is STILL SOOOOO SWOLLEN. Compression belts used to help but lately they've been making me hurt.

I think about how I get exhausted going up and down my stairs to start the laundry, or take our little dog out to the yard to pee. I know I could NOT handle racing back and forth across a school in between classes or handle walking around a playground for supervision. I still feel guilty that I can't handle the small stuff, when I know I need to lose weight.

It's a major surgery. The body has been traumatized and needs TIME and REST to heal. At the same time, just like you, I'm struggling with not feeling like I can do more than I actually can. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm allowed to feel like napping, or I'm allowed to feel like "Nope. I'm not ready/that's going to hurt me". Accepting these temporary limitations is hard.

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks x
Unread 06-15-2021, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks x

My belly is almost flat besides the bloating gas. Very hard for me to gain weight even though I'm eating three times a day

Maybe you can use the belly support to help the swelly belly.
Unread 06-15-2021, 01:13 PM

Hi Joann,
I had my procedure done on May 17 2021- a week after you. I had LSH done but kept my ovaries. What you described is exactly what I'm experiencing too. My frustration is through the roof- living in Florida with the heat adds to my tiredness. I have been camped out on my couch for 4 weeks now. UGH!!! Also been dealing with feeling low as well. Certain songs or movie scenes will have me ugly crying for a minute meaning swelly belly and scars are the least of my worries. It's my state of mind i'm worried about. The anxiety that comes from noticing every little spasm, twinge or stab of pain as my body recovers is more than I can handle right now. I'm usually focused and determined with getting things done throughout the day but my recovery has me so twisted that I can't even focus on school work which, I am doing from home. So i spend my days coloring in adult coloring books, painting rocks and re-watching old tv shows .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register