Passed a blood clot? 2 weeks post hysterectomy. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Passed a blood clot? 2 weeks post hysterectomy. Passed a blood clot? 2 weeks post hysterectomy.

Unread 08-02-2021, 05:23 PM
Passed a blood clot? 2 weeks post hysterectomy.

2 weeks post op. It’s like if I lay on the couch I’m good but any movements (we literally drive 5 minutes to my in laws so the kids could swim) I start bleeding and cramping again. Ugh!!!’ This time it looks like I passed a small blood clot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2021, 04:43 AM
Passed a blood clot? 2 weeks post hysterectomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcrave90 View Post
2 weeks post op. It’s like if I lay on the couch I’m good but any movements (we literally drive 5 minutes to my in laws so the kids could swim) I start bleeding and cramping again. Ugh!!!’ This time it looks like I passed a small blood clot.
I had ovariohysterectomy 12 weeks ago and have had 3 "types" of bleeding since then:
1. Post-op : mild fresh blood at the end of urinating : likely due to flushing of vaginal wound blood. I also had an egg sized haematoma in my stomach wall next to the laparoscopy wound which resolved overnight with a pressure bandage.
2. At 4 weeks post surgery I had a "collection" (haematoma) at the vaginal suture site which started to drain blood via the vagina (blood looked like a menstruation with occasional small clots). I had previously had rectal pain and pain when passing stools. The bleeding commenced after I passed a stool one day and on reflection I think this was due to my rectum squeezing the "collection" (haematoma). I was diagnosed by CT scan and I also had a positive culture result from a vaginal swab. I had 10 days of high dose antibiotics. I had a follow up ultrasound after 1 week. I blood spotted for about 5 weeks afterwards.
3. At 9 weeks post surgery I had fresh red vaginal blood with clots up to 4cm long : vaginal speculum exam by my gynaecologist revealed mild granulation tissue which didn't need treatment (although sometimes can be cauterised with silver nitrate). This resolved by itself.

I suggest getting checked by your gynaecologist (alternatively my gynaecologist wasn't available when I bled at 4 weeks so I went to my local hospital directly).

I've taken iron supplementation (liquid form to avoid constipation) continuously since surgery. I was already iron deficient pre-op and with all the surgery and post-op bleeding I didn't want to develop anaemia.

Hope that's helpful.
Unread 08-03-2021, 05:56 AM
Re: Passed a blood clot? 2 weeks post hysterectomy.

I passed a very small clot both at 4 weeks and 6 weeks. In my case it was "scabbed" blood which finally came loose. Sunny Sky mentioned a hematoma draining itself which is also happens enough. Check the "Similar Discussions : From This Forum" links below this conversation.

I'm also going to suggest talking to your doctor at least. You've had two previous questions about bleeding, some links were provided to you here, but since you still have concerns I think it'd be best to hear what's normal from your doctor's office and ask questions about activity levels and bleeding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2021, 06:02 AM

Thank you both. I think the blood thing just freaks me out. But I’m feeling like some blood is normal? My doctor agreed. Cautiously optimistic today (:
Unread 08-04-2021, 05:41 AM

Yes, and it may well continue through 6-8 weeks post-op.
Unread 08-04-2021, 06:45 AM

Hi. I went to the doctor yesterday and he felt for a tear. I didn’t have one and he did an internal exam further squashing most of my fears. Feeling much better physically and mentally today

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register