Surgical Menopause and Estradiol Levels, 1.5 weeks post-hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical Menopause and Estradiol Levels, 1.5 weeks post-hysterectomy Surgical Menopause and Estradiol Levels, 1.5 weeks post-hysterectomy

Unread 07-25-2021, 06:53 PM
Surgical Menopause and Estradiol Levels, 1.5 weeks post-hysterectomy

I'm 1.5 weeks post-op. I'm 48, and had a complete hysterectomy with both ovaries removed. I was told I would immediately go into menopause after surgery, but I don't feel too much different than I did prior to surgery with the exception of having hot flashes more often than before.

I was just reviewing my pre-surgical bloodwork, and I noticed my estradiol level was a 36 prior to surgery. On the notes section of the bloodwork, it said a level of 30 would indicate menopause.

My question is this: Is the reason I'm not experiencing major menopausal symptoms because my level was already close to 30? (I'm secretly hoping the answer is yes so I can stop wondering whether or not I'm going to wake up one morning in the next few weeks with major symptoms!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2021, 05:50 AM
Re: Surgical Menopause and Estradiol Levels

Our bodies have stores of our hormones which will get used up when the main source shuts off, whether with surgery or the slower natural menopause. Also, there are other sources of estrogen - adrenal glands and fat cells produce estrogen, though not in the levels our ovaries do. Depending on your body's stores and other resources, you may not feel a significant difference right away, or it may not be as bad for you as it is for others.

Be aware that a single estrogen reading is not indicative of approaching menopause, for it could simply where you are in your cycle. Estrogen levels vary greatly with our menstrual cycles. According to one abstract I found on the NiH, a reading of anywhere from 36-380mcg during our entire cycle is possible, but I've also seen articles with numbers like 20-450. You can read more about why doctors don't do baseline hormone testing in our article Hormone Testing before Hysterectomy. In short, we're not equipped to answer whether a 6-point difference will make an impact on your menopause symptoms.

I can also tell you at 48 I was still pretty regular in my cycle. I was late to the menopause party beyond the "average" age, just as my mother was!

Unread 07-26-2021, 02:30 PM
Re: Surgical Menopause and Estradiol Levels, 1.5 weeks post-hysterectomy

Thank you, Cussette! I will read the article you provided. Everything you said makes sense, so I wonder if I'm going to have any reactions in the coming weeks and months. I guess we will see!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2021, 04:15 PM

Hi ,
I had a Radical Hysterectomy in February of 2018, so no ovaries here either .
I had no symptoms until 2 years after my surgery , then it all started !!!!
So , hopefully you’ll have some time ,before you notice the changes to come !
Unread 08-03-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelakeats View Post
I'm 1.5 weeks post-op. I'm 48, and had a complete hysterectomy with both ovaries removed. I was told I would immediately go into menopause after surgery, but I don't feel too much different than I did prior to surgery with the exception of having hot flashes more often than before.

I was just reviewing my pre-surgical bloodwork, and I noticed my estradiol level was a 36 prior to surgery. On the notes section of the bloodwork, it said a level of 30 would indicate menopause.

My question is this: Is the reason I'm not experiencing major menopausal symptoms because my level was already close to 30? (I'm secretly hoping the answer is yes so I can stop wondering whether or not I'm going to wake up one morning in the next few weeks with major symptoms!)
Hi! I had my TVH (and ovaries) at age 43 and didn’t notice changes right away. I kept expecting hot flashes or something, and honestly it was 2-3 months before I could chalk anything up to menopause. Hang in there!
Unread 08-03-2021, 04:37 PM

I want to second what others are saying. I had a TAH/BSO in mid-April, and my surgeon told me that menopause symptoms wouldn't start immediately. However, she did start me on an estradiol patch a few days after surgery. I'm 51 and she is concerned about osteoporosis since I'm fairly young and will be severely lacking estrogen without my ovaries. So far, so good with the patch.
Unread 08-03-2021, 06:46 PM

Thanks! I may ask about the patch. I'm still not experiencing any bad symptoms, but I do worry about osteoporosis since it runs in my family and I fit the profile (thin and small boned). I'm 48, but the way my doctor made it sound was that I was already pretty close to menopause anyway, and that I may not feel much different. So far, he's been right, but I know from reading here that it may hit me like a ton of bricks in the coming weeks.
Unread 08-04-2021, 08:57 AM

I'm 3 months post-op on total hysterectomy + BSO + endo excision. I'm 51 and was still having periods pre-hyst (2 per month--ugh). I was having maybe 3-4 hot flashes per WEEK before surgery, but they were really mild. Since surgery -- not using hormone therapy because it can reinvigorate any speck of remaining endo -- I only feel different in that I have 3-5 (mild) hot flashes DAILY during waking hours. I sleep a bit hotter at night, and might wake up with 1 mild night sweat episode--and most nights I don't even have any night sweats.

I do take 1000 mg evening primrose oil, about 700 mg fish oil, and 800 IU vitamin E daily since surgery. For me, if I try to eliminate any of those, the hot flashes get a bit worse.

I'm not sure if any other menopausal symptom(s) will appear in the near future, but so far pretty good. I have noticed my facial skin looking worse since surgery--more dullness and more red tone. So I've stepped my my skincare regimen accordingly with stronger products ha ha, and that's pretty much resolved that issue too.
Unread 08-04-2021, 01:19 PM

I was only 3 days away from turning 41 when I had my radical hysterectomy and my left and only remaining ovary removed. I started experiencing menopausal symptoms around one week post op. I had to wait until my 2 week post op appt to start HRT because of endometriosis….we had to wait for the hysterectomy pathology to come back to see what i could take.
Unread 08-04-2021, 02:46 PM

I went into surgical menopause age 39 so i wasnt as close to natural menopause but it took me a week or so to feel anything, then i felt night sweats. Shortly after i went on HRT and i feel normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelakeats View Post

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register