Upcoming hysterectomy 8/18: Keep Cervix or not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/18: Keep Cervix or not Upcoming hysterectomy 8/18: Keep Cervix or not

Unread 08-01-2021, 05:05 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/18: Keep Cervix or not

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and my surgery is in over 2 weeks. I'm freaking out!

A little bit about me, I am a 44 year old woman with severe MS who is wheelchair bound. Five years ago my obgyn told me I had fibroids, I didn't think anything of it cause I was dealing with other problems. Fast forward to May of this year, I thought I had a uti, but after 3 different doctor visits and a trip to the ER, turns out my fibroid is gigantic and sitting on my poor little bladder.

My obgyn, who I've known 20 years, referred me to a gynecological surgeon and said I needed to remove it asap, This surgeon is in high demand so I've been waiting for the surgery for a while. He cautioned me after our consultation to stay off the web, and now I know why.

I'm so scared. There is so much bad info out there about fibroids and hysterectomies. "Try these herbs, do keto, try UFE, etc." Well I'm exhausted. I did all of the natural alternative therapy crap back when I was trying to fix my new diagnosis of MS. Where did it get me? $10,000 poorer, and still in this *****g chair. So I'm just biting the bullet and going ahead with this surgery.

I have just two questions though. First, what am I going to need to bring with me to the hospital and 2. SHOULD I KEEP MY CERVIX OR NOT????? I keep reading so many conflicting articles and comments about this, I seriously don't know what to do. My surgeon says I don't need it or will even know it's gone, but then someone writes on a hysterectomy blog about how loosing their cervix was the worst thing that could of happened to her. Well, which is it? Do I need it or not???

I'm having this done Laparoscopically and am keeping my ovaries, BTW.

Thanks for reading. I'd appreciate the feedback

Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2021, 07:13 PM
Re: Keep Cervix or not

Elizabeth2021, Glad you found us here at Hystersisters!

Here are a few article links here that might be helpful for you on what to bring to the hospital and help you prepare for your surgery.

6 Things Your HysterSisters Think You Should Do When Preparing for Your Hysterectomy

Preparing: What Will I Need?

Must Have List for Hysterectomy

What to Take to the Hospital

So, there is no easy answer on your question of “Keep or Remove your Cervix” I really think this is a decision you and your doctor needed to make. Here is a link to a HS article that you might find helpful.

Should I Keep My Cervix? Vaginal Cuff-What Is It?

When I met my surgeon I asked to keep my cervix, tubes and ovaries as under the mindset of if it was healthy why would I remove it. She said bottom line it was my decision but then shared some information which in my eyes made me change my mind on a few thinks. Tubes: she mentioned studies showing that often ovarian cancer cells have been found in the tubes first and go undetected until they spread, okay I agree to have those removed. Regarding my cervix, I mentioned I wanted to keep it. She reviewed my history of endo, ablation and with ultrasound results showing I had major scar tissue in my uterus, she was not sure that it was healthy to keep, then add in the cervical cancer risk. I decided to let it be removed. Think the biggest on my wish list if at all possible, keep my ovaries due to not being in menopause yet. There was a question if I would lose one or both due to a cyst(s). When I saw her after surgery she said that it would have been impossible to separate my cervix from my uterus as it was so heavily scarred, but she kept both my ovaries. That to me was the bigger win!

Do what is best for you!
Sending good thoughts on your surgery day in a few weeks, imagine you are enveloped in big warm hugs full of love, support and healing energy.
Unread 08-02-2021, 01:45 AM
Re: Keep Cervix or not

Hi Elizabeth. My cousin has MS so I understand (as well as I can) that part.

I also understand trying all sorts of alternatives for things - I did this for 3 years before realising hysterectomy was the answer.

On hospital: a book or something to occupy you; a nightie, dressing gown and slippers; something easy to dress in when going home - I wore a summer dress; toiletries. Just simple.

On cervix: I’m 2.5 weeks post-op and had mine removed. I was conflicted on it but went with what my gynaecologist said as he is the expert. I was paranoid about my pelvic floor collapsing but prepared by doing pelvic floor exercises before the operation and my physio said to start doing them straight after my operation. I had a TAH and it feels fine when I do the exercises. For myself as well, I was going in for major surgery for fibroids, cysts and a lot of endometriosis. I didn’t want to leave anything behind that could mean I went through more surgery. I’ve read things about how intercourse may feel different for some women. For me, with all the other issues I had, that wasn’t an important factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2021, 03:32 AM

A few more suggestions on what to being to the hospital: an extension cord to plug in your cellphone; a phone app to keep track of your pain medications; an eye mask and earplugs if you'll be spending the night; moisturizing cream for your face and hands - I have rosacea, and I could not withstand the dry hospital environment without my face cream. As for your cervix, my surgeon had originally planned to do an LAVH, which would have mandated its removal; I pushed for a supracervical aproach because my cervix was perfectly healthy, and my research, which was corroborated by subsequent talks with my family doctor, indicated that a vaginal approach would not be appropriate for me because I'd never had children. Hopefully, the above article will help you to clarify your decision, so you can so what's best for your individual situation. Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Unread 08-03-2021, 10:02 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/18: Keep Cervix or not

Hi Elizabeth, nice to meet you. I want to share with you that i am also undergoing surgery on the same day with you, 8/18!! I'm having a full open hysterectomy and I'm also as scared, not knowing what to expect. My fibroid suddenly grew very big within my uterus and it's time to remove it. I'm removing my cervix, fallopian tube, uterus and keeping my ovaries. I wanted to remove my cervix to prevent cervix cancer. Know that you will be ok.
Unread 08-04-2021, 11:00 AM

Yes, it is a shock when the term hysterectomy is used. For me being post-menopause, the "cancer" possibility term was also used. I wonder if they'd say that to you--that the fibroid could have cancer in it as rapid growth is a sign as is bleeding. I also grieved a little at the idea of the loss of all that. They are right, after it's gone you can't feel anything much different once you recover.

I was shocked about removing cervix and ovaries too. When my doctor explained that some patients later get cysts or cancer in their other parts and require a 2nd operation, it was more clear to me to do it once and not take the chance. That was the biggest reason for agreeing to it all for me. Turned out my fibroid was benign. It was pressing on my bladder and since my operation, I have noticed my bladder holds a lot more and when I pee, there is more. So, yes, some benefits.

If you are day surgery as I was you don't need a nighty. I was told if they were going to keep me that a family member could send a bag of items later. Due to Covid no family member was allowed to go into the hospital. I took my health card, eyeglass case with my name on it with tape, my cell phone, earbuds, my tablet as my hospital had free wifi; a hairbrush, chapstick, and as others have said, your charger (preferably one with a long cord). I wore light gym socks as I get too hot with socks but you are told you can keep them on but they put little hospital booties over them. They put your clothes and shoes in a bag with your day bag (no purse) and it travels with you, but they put my glasses into my case and hung it on a pole during surgery so they could put them back on me right after.

The tablet was helpful as I wanted to message my FB friends and to check on the pharmacy hours, scroll FB while recovering...Be mindful if they keep you late, which is highly likely, you may not get to the pharmacy in time of it closing. I don't know if they send you home with meds. I had med to bed service (hospital pharmacy) and a nurse had to run down to pick up my prescription before they closed at 6. I was not released until 10 pm. I was borderline to being admitted only because I didn't meet the bladder emptying quota.

They will serve you beverages or snacks, but you may have to ask for them. They want you to pee a lot after so you need some fluids IMO other than the IV fluids.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions as knowledge helps lessen the fear.
Unread 08-06-2021, 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies and warm messages. I'm a lot calmer now and ready to have this done. Story Teller, it's so nice to know someone out there will be going though the same thing on the same day. My surgery is at 7am that day. I don't know where you are or what time your surgery is, but I will send healing thoughts your way before they put me to sleep!
I just wanted to say THANKS again to everyone. This is a great site with great information and support!
Unread 08-06-2021, 11:08 AM

Hi Elizabeth2021,

My surgery is at 9am but I’ll need to be at the hospital by 7am this very same day like you! I’ll be thinking of you and I’ll be sending you good thoughts after meditation. I plan to do some meditation this weekend and next. It helps calm the mind. Know that you and I will be ok. All our hyster sis who went through this were ok. Please keep us posted on your recovery. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 08-14-2021, 01:05 PM

Hi, Elizabeth! I’m about three and a half weeks out from mine. I’m anxious and restless with excitement more than anything else but some nerves of course. I am following your thread as I’m finding it hard to concentrate on much, rest and a heating pad is helping my pain, and also want to keep busy to help time go by faster. Hang in there!
Unread 08-14-2021, 04:58 PM

Hi All,

I am 5 weeks post op and I wished I didn’t put this surgery off as long as I did. I am so happy with my surgery. I was same day I was at hospital at 7am but didn’t get my surgery till 1 pm (surgery before me went longer than expected and then a baby had to be born by c section.. I woke up around 6pm had a sandwich and past my milestones to leave hospital. The worst part about this surgery for me was waiting till surgery day and now waiting patiently to heal up. And you must rest up after surgery you will have issues if you don’t rest. I just took my cellphone and charger just in case I stay over.. they have a gown if I needed to stay the day of surgery I worn a dress and sneakers. Now I could of stayed over if I needed to but resting at home is more comfortable for me. I even climbed one flight of stairs the same day to get to my room. Just calm down don’t stress out that will slow down healing and afterwards.. I wish you all that are going to have your surgery a successful one as mine was.. go into surgery with a positive thoughts. I also get very nauseous from Anesthesia so I made surgery they gave me medicine before and during surgery for nausea.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register