Hysterectomy dates Mar 10-Mar 17,2008 - Page 25 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 10-Mar 17,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 10-Mar 17,2008

Unread 03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 10-Mar 17,2008

Denise,
I feel like I know you so well, and I wish we were in the same town. I just explained that same thing to my husband....An hour ago I was locked in the bathroom crying my eyes out from watching the "Sound of Music" on television...that was the 1st movie my mother ever took me too...I know the **** thing word for word. She and I were very,very close, but she past away 16 years ago, and sometimes it just feels that she (my mother) is the only thing that could possibly get me through this "rollercoaster" I'm on. The next thing I know my 15 year old son comes in with some teenage line of crap I am supposed to fall for. Then I go into "drill sargeant", you know the "drop and give me 20 type"...and scare everyone in the house, because they are not used to seeing that side of me. Then I read one of your post's and everythings OK again...I am not the only one, and as far as your advice goes, the only part I take too serious is the part that says "I (we) will get thru this... Although, I would love to jump out of my bedroom window, but I live in the 1st floor....nothing but bruises and more aches and pains there....I would have to survive just so I could whine about it...lol

Again....Thank you for your humorous understanding. I honestly believe laughter is one of the best medicines, but a good prescription helps alot too!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2008, 08:42 PM

So, I'm noticing the poop trend here. I am curious what everyone's symptoms are?
I am BMing fairly well, but it seems that 1out 3 or4 times, my bladder gets all mad and hurts like the hoobie! And I'm forced to take a percocet. Other than that one thing, I'm doing well if I take it easy. So I wonder what everyone else is having?
let's get deep. <tee hee>
Unread 03-23-2008, 08:53 PM

Hmmmm....my analysis of the situation

We are being dethroned (sp) husbands going back to work, meals to be made for ourselves, life is becoming real again except that I for one do not appear to be as equipped to handle it like I use to, and we dont feel a whole lot better than we did a week ago.

I am counting the days since my surgery, funny I was doing that before the surgery too.

I actually cried only two times today-fabulous and to add insult to injury I cried and DH walked right passed me like I do it all the time.

Went to dinner and was ok but exhausted. Good to see my family though. Guess I will call it a night...sweet dreams girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2008, 09:00 PM

I'm not sure if my situation is different than anyone elses, but considering my rectum has been cut to pieces and sewed back together, my BMs are fairly easy as long as I continue with the mineral oil, stool softeners, and the red robin catheter.

I really have a hard time (pardon the pun) controlling the BM until I can get to the bathroom and get everything set up. It is a process. It's very painful. However, as soon as I go, I'm all better. I have bright red blood EVERYTIME I go. Then all the pain is actually centered directly in the rectum. It brings me to tears (although probabbly more emotional than anything else), I have a very difficult time getting clean, which is of MAJOR importance since I am dealing with an open wound. It is extremely frustrating. I really could use some help which at this point, I have not asked for because of the my feelings of humiliation.

Anyway.....once this is complete I usually take to my bed with a pain pill and I'm done for the rest of the day.

The common thread that I see between all of is that the stool softeners are of utmost importance. If can recommend nothing else......I would say PLEASE take your stool softeners regularly until you are completely healed. The painkillers will cause harder than normal BMs......I truly beleive that the painkillers and stool softeners work hand-in-hand.

HysterHugs to all,
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Post-Op March 17

Glad it is over, I was worried more about the surgery that the actual recovery. I had a TVH/BSO on March 17. I have been home since Wednesday and it has been great. All I have read about the gas, bladder & BM are true, they were difficult at first. They took the cather out 24hrs later, but had to put it back in the next day and I still have it I have a Drs appt tomorrow to have it taken out and once that is done, and my bladder will cooperate I believe it will only be down hill from there. First BM was terrible just take the MOM as soon as you get home and remember the stool softners. Once you get past the initial part it is really not to bad. The emotions are playing havic on my I am wearing a patch with the bio-natural hormones which seem to ease some things. I will check back in a few days to let you know my progress, hang in there everyone.
Karen
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:40 PM

You gals are great! I've gained so much advice here preop and it's wonderful knowing that I have somewhere to share all this "stuff" I'm going through.

I've laughed, cried, etc. THANKS!!

Here's the lowdown on my day. I finally got to sleep at 4 am only to wake up 1.5 hrs. later to take meds. I only slept till 7 then I was up. I went to the grocery store to pick up a couple of things.

I spent some time with the kiddos and made Easter dinner. Did u get that....I did it!!!

Ring Ring! Check the caller ID, unknown name so not answering. Wondered what solicitation I could be getting on Easter. Ans. Machine picks up and it's my doctor. I pick up the phone. Told him I wondered who the heck would be calling on Easter. Doc says my culture came back positive for Group A Strep. He wanted to make sure I was on the correct antibiotics. He asked me how the drainage was (still draining off and on, sore off and on) and asked me how I was feeling. Told me he'd see me at my next appt.After cooking and cleaning up afterward I was beat. My belly was aching so I took that as a cue to go lay down. I did and I fell asleep for 3 hrs. I woke up dazed and confused. I had leftovers for dinner, took more meds.

Then I got in my PJ's. The kids tucked me in. I watched Extreme Home Makeover, Rock of Love II, and Keeping up with the Kardashian's. Had some cuddle time with DH which I so much needed. I think he's afraid to touch me. Oh course I guess major surgery, strep in my wound, and thrush doensn't do a whole lot to keep a man around. The fact that he's still here says it's all. LOL!

I was reading about everyone's poop stories and I will have to say at first I would run to the bathroom thinking here it comes and no....just painful gas. Not having much gas issues lately and I'm going fairly regularly now. I'm still taking the stool softeners though. I don't want to have to send hubby for an enema. Lord knows what the heck he'd come back with.

In general I'm feeling better, but not 100% yet. I guess surgery was only 9 days ago. Still having trouble sleeping. Not sure why. I was sooooo tired the first 5-6 days then bam....AWAKE! I definitely have more energy now as long as I'm not up and moving around. I do need to get some sleep tonight though. I'm home alone with all the rugrats tomorrow. They don't have school!

I may venture to the store to get some elastic pants. I tried jeans with gauze over my belly button, but it just irritated my belly button too much yet.
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:48 PM

LOL....if you have to send him out for the enema.....just tell him that Summer's Eve doesn't make an enema. Enemas just don't come in all the fancy scents and packaging. LOL......unfortunately with enemas....male or female one side fits all.

Ah....heck....there go the pain meds again. I need to go to sleep.

Here's to another day tomorrow.....

HysterHugs to all,
Unread 03-23-2008, 11:09 PM

End of day 11 post-op. Today was the first day that I felt somewhat of the normalcy of being the person that I was before I had the surgery! I got up and got ready to go out into the world for the first time since my DH drove me to the hospital 11 days ago. I actually got dressed, and found something that fit that was appropriate for church for Easter Sunday, and I was shocked that it fit!!! Well, it was tighter than it should have been, but it worked! I was so happy! My DH had to help me get dressed, still can't reach the feet! I really want to have my toenails done so that I can slip into some pretty sandals! But that did not come for today. That is still something to look forward too- sigh! I was worried about the drive in the car, the bumpy roads and such, but I tucked a pillow under the seatbelt and I was amazed that it was not too bad! I made it all the way to church and enjoyed so much the service! Then home and waited for the family and friends that were coming for dinner to arrive. I did not have to do anything except sit and enjoy it all. After they all had cleaned everything up and left I was all smiles that I had actually been able to enjoy a day that was so wonderful. I am sure I will be in bed all day tomorrow recovering back my strength. But it was well worth being up and be part of everything today. I am still amazed that I felt so well. I have had "melt-downs" everyday since the surgery about dinner time each day. But today so far I have not had one. But I am sure one will return tomorrow. I usually have a flood of tears that feel like the ones you get from mass grief. My poor DH patiently listens to my grief poor out with my tears over the loss of the parts they removed, even though I know we did the best and wise thing. I figure it is a process and a loss that needs to be grieved on my part. And the hot flashes are no fun, I hope they don't bother me too much for too long. I have a fan in each room to turn on at a minutes notice and also a hand held one that is great to have! So, off to bed I go. Tomorrow if I pay for all that I did today, it will be worth it. A minor set back to have enjoyed a day that I was dressed, got a drive in the car, sat with people at dinner and chatted as if nothing major had just happen in my life over the last 11 days. Yep! It was a great and blessed Easter!
Unread 03-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Insomnia

GRRRR! I will get to bed one of these days. I've read over posts about taking baths and have decided to take a short warm bath with no added bath products. I think this will help with the swelling and drainage from my belly button. I will of course make sure everything is dry afterward. I am freezing and won't be able to go to sleep. I think a bath will relax me as well. maybe I'll take a Percocet beforehand seeing as my belly button is causing me some discomfort.

My hubby turned the heat down to 66. I feel like a popsicle. Where are the hot flashes when you need them....LOL! Since having this surgery I've been hot and cold. Waiting for Lupron to wear off. I had my last injection 2/13.

Night Ladies!
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:09 AM

Dear DeniseS,

Poor baby. You must find Sage brand Comfort Shield perineal care wipes. I found them online here:
http://www.planetrx.com/shop/detail....106&zmap=a9333
They should also have them at a drugstore in your area. Call around or order them with rush shipping. They will help keep you clean, very softly, without burning, and will provide a protective coating to keep things smooth and clean without irritation. They are the only thing that has worked for me for a cracking, bleeding perineum. They seem to actually aid the healing process. They are large, you can cut them down to the size you need. You can warm them or cool them before use.

I obviously cannot recommend them more highly.

I also found them at Amazon.com in a smaller 8 pack size.

It is the best recommendation I can make for you.

Hope this helps honey!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register