Ascites 10 days post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ascites 10 days post hysterectomy Ascites 10 days post hysterectomy

Unread 08-02-2021, 09:44 PM
Ascites 10 days post hysterectomy

I had exploratory laparotomy that turned into a radical hysterectomy including lymph node and omentum removal specifically because I’d been suffering with ascites (free fluid in the admbdominal cavity) for two months. After weird purple/black bruising on my mons pubis and left side of my vagina/labia, they ordered a stat ultrasound today. Thanks to MyChart, I know I have ascites again but no idea how worried I should be about it until my appointment in two days. Does anyone know anything about ascites after hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2021, 06:25 AM
Re: Ascites 10 days post hysterectomy

Thing is, bruising and swelling 10 days after a hysterectomy - or any more serious abdominal surgery - is not unusual. Your My Chart showed a finding of ascites, but was that a finding during your hysterectomy or have you been diagnosed since? I'm guessing the statement in My Chart was a finding during your surgery, and the ultra sound will determine if anything else is going on.

A hysterectomy entails multiple ligaments, blood vessels and connective tissue being cut as well as organs removed, and whatever was bleeding has been stitched or cauterized. That alone is enough trauma to cause bruising and swelling, and you had more done with lymph nodes and omentum removal. The swelling many of us experience is tight-belly swelling, as if we have a soccer ball in there. It's so common, we've given it a nickname, swelly belly and it can last for many weeks (8 weeks for me, and then afterwards for a few months during those times I used my core too much).

More recently, I had open abdominal surgery for a non-gyn issue with a vertical incision. The bruising was incredible! Both the bruising and the swelling were lopsided, too, appearing more on one side than the other, and according to the PA it was likely from where the retractors stretched me and dug in. I'd given more details in an early reply to one of your posts.

We've had very few past conversations on ascites after hysterectomy over the history of this site, but the few we do have were not immediately after a hysterectomy - it was months or years. The best discussion is here Fluid in Abdomen, Distention Dr's Dont know whats wrong (08-11/2010). An article from Healthline.com on Ascites: Causes and Risk Factors notes that typical ascites symptoms may be caused by other conditions.

Given your pre-hysterectomy issues, I think it's good to get an ultrasound just to make sure nothing serious is going on. If all is clear, then likely what you're dealing with is pretty typical for 10 days post-op.

These are resources I often share with new members for guidance on these first 6-8 weeks after surgery. Since your surgery was unplanned, you may not have had time to wrap your head around what to expect during recovery. I hope these help - there are a LOT of links in the Do This - Not That article which give you more detail.
Unread 08-03-2021, 08:50 AM

Thank you for your reply. I had ascites all summer, and the MyChart saying I had mild to moderate ascites was from yesterday’s ultrasound. They drained the pre existing ascites as part of the surgery. That’s why I’m so worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2021, 01:36 PM

I got an answer from my doctors office today. It is new free fluid since they drained it during the surgery. However, they are not worried. My body has been producing ascites fluid for months now and the hysterectomy didn’t cause it to hit the shut off valve instantly, especially since the surgery further traumatized the abdominal area. She said that it will take about three months for the ascites to go away altogether. I’m relieved that it’s no big deal! Thank you for your support!
Unread 08-04-2021, 02:54 PM
Re: Ascites 10 days post hysterectomy

I'm glad you've got that peace of mind!
Unread 08-04-2021, 05:47 PM

Thank you! Me too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register