Scheduled TAH Upcoming September hysterectomy: Spinal Cord Injury Patient | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming September hysterectomy: Spinal Cord Injury Patient Upcoming September hysterectomy: Spinal Cord Injury Patient

Unread 08-03-2021, 09:27 AM
Upcoming September hysterectomy: Spinal Cord Injury Patient

Hello,

Does anybody on this forum also have a spinal injury? I am due for a TAH but have a spinal injury to contend with too which will make dealing with bladder and bowel issues extra difficult. Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2021, 05:48 PM
Re: Spinal Cord Injury Patient

I wish I had personal experience to share but I don’t.

I’m going to bump this up in the hopes that one of our members with relevant experience will respond.
Unread 08-17-2021, 04:11 PM

[quote=PSully78;1527854481]Hello,

Does anybody on this forum also have a spinal injury? I am due for a TAH but have a spinal injury to contend with too which will make dealing with bladder and bowel issues extra difficult. Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/

Are you healed?
I broke my back but am since healed.
Had a my procedure july 30th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2021, 05:54 PM

I do not either. Im 3 weeks post op TAH. And the bowel & bladder issues have been challenging without a spinal injury. Sending BIG hugs your way for the additional medical condition you will have to contend with. I wont lie - it has been more difficult than I expected. Hope someone is able to provide more insight for you!! Best of Luck!!
Unread 08-17-2021, 06:09 PM

Don't have same experience, but
have a sister with mobility issues.
As far as bladder issues, check out a product called PureWick urinary system. If your Dr will prescribe it, (if it seems helpful to you) insurance might pay for it. It's a little spendy. :*(
I found increasing my fiber before the surgery helped prevent gas issues. I was lucky tho and didn't have to take but a few pain tabs.
Good luck and will for you!
Unread 08-18-2021, 01:57 AM
Re: Upcoming September hysterectomy: Spinal Cord Injury Patient

Hi There, , I had my TAL last June. 9 months later I had total hip replacement. Mobility was a big issue for me as I could only walk 10 steps at a time. My husband installed a toilet riser and a hand held bidet to help with cleaning. I also had a shower stool because my shower was in the bath. That helped a lot too. Before my surgery I did a detox which helped the drugs get out of my system quicker. I took a thermos to the hospital with fresh lemon and mint which I drank in warm water from the time I was awake. This helped get rid of the gas. Even now I use disability tools to help me get dressed (sock fitter and grabber for underwear/zips. Water exercise helped before my surgery and later when I was allowed to. I had a very smooth recovery and I am absolutely sure all this helped. Good luck with your surgery and dont be afraid to ask for help as soon as you need it.
Unread 08-18-2021, 06:08 AM

If you check at your local home health care store, then you may find several items that can help with your recovery; my top picks would include a grabber, an extra-long shoe horn, a sock fitter as mentioned above, bungee laces so you can just slip your shoes on and off, shower aids, and clothing specifically designed for mobility issues including a bra that can be fastened in front. For bowel issues, I recommend having the following items on hand: a good pair of walking shoes; peppermint tea; fiber from frozen blueberries, whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, or a psyllium based product like Metamucil; magnesium from dark chocolate or pumpkin seeds; ground flaxseeds - I buy them whole and grind them in a coffee grinder; fennel or coriander seeds for gas relief, which can be chewed straight after every meal, ground into a powder and added to your cooking, or steeped in hot water for a delicious tea; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register