vertical vs horizontal incision query | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vertical vs horizontal incision query vertical vs horizontal incision query

Unread 01-22-2004, 05:46 PM
vertical vs horizontal incision query

Hi all...

I'm now 9 days post-op and am feeling quite good, certainly better than after my hysterectomy.

I'm finding that my incision is healing better and faster than with my c/sections or my hysterectomy and I'm wondering if it is because the direction is different. I had bikini incisions with my first 3 surgeries, but this time I had to have a vertical. I'm finding it doesn't hurt nearly as much, is healing faster, and I can almost sleep on my tummy already! (I'm a BIG TIME tummy sleeper... surgery drives me crazy!)

Has anyone else out there had both types of incision and found any differences/preferences?

...curious,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2004, 08:42 PM

Hi Kate and welcome home, I'm so happy that you are finding recovery easier than with your previous surgeries.

I've never had an abdominal incision, so can't offer any insight on your question. However, I did want to your post back to the top.
Unread 01-23-2004, 08:48 PM

I too had both types of incisions, my first surgery was the bikini cut, took me forever to heal, nearly 5 months! Then when I had my hysterectomy, I had the cut from the navel down. It healed in less than a week. 2 weeks after my surgery, I was ready to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2004, 09:55 PM

Dear Katie,

I am so glad that your surgery went well and you are recovering quickly!

I have only had the bikini type incision so don't have anything to compare for you. Mine always seemed to heal pretty quickly. Maybe I am just lucky.

Keep us posted on how you are feeling.

Sarah
Unread 01-24-2004, 05:23 AM

Hi Katie,

This was good news to me! I have had 1 c section and the bikini cut done twice ( 10 days apart ) for a TAH and then a followup exploration under anaesthetic while searching for a bladder tear.

It now looks as though I will have to have an abdominal repair for a fistula in a couple of months time, and was told it would have to be a vertical incision. If it is true that it is less painful or heals quicker it will be good news for me. I can only think that perhaps it is because our abdominal muscles run vertically so the cut is parallel with the muscles not across them. This could make a difference, I would imagine they would knit together more easily.

Hope you continue to make a swift recovery,
Blossom

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register