Back from Doctor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from Doctor Back from Doctor

Unread 03-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Back from Doctor

Well I saw my gyn and he confirmed what I already knew. I have a rectocele and need surgery to correct it. He said that there is no need to rush that they are not dangerous in any way just uncomfortable. The glitch is he doesn't do the surgery and he is refering me to the gyn I left to see him. He says this doctor is the best one in the area for this kind of surgery but I personally had a bad experience with him. I talked to my husband and he agrees that I cannot go back to this other doc. So I just called my doc back and asked if they could refer any body else. I don't even know how to go about finding a doctor for this on my own. Any ideas? I am in Suffolk county on Long Island if any one knows anyone in that area. Islip to be exact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Back from Doctor

Hi Terri
I am sorry to see you need surgery. I had a rectocele/enterocele repair done by my gyn five weeks ago. I completely trust and like him, so I had no worries about him doing it. He had done many others previously.
I don't blame you for wanting to find a different gyn to do it. You must have trust in your dr. and know he will do the best job possible and treat you with respect.If you didn't like him before, there is no reason to go to him now.
Good luck on your search. It is amazing how much better I feel with my two prolapses fixed.

take care
Peggy
Unread 03-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Back from Doctor

Terri,

I am sorry you find yourself in this predicament.

I would think your current gyn would be sensitive to your personality conflict with the other gyn and perhaps willing to work out a compromise.

If your former gyn is technically the best at the surgery, maybe there is a way to utilize what he is good at (surgery) without having to deal with his lack of bedside manner?

Can't hurt to ask. Of course, the former gyn might be such a jerk that your current gyn wouldn't want to work with him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Back from Doctor

I did a little research on this doc and he does seem to be a good surgeon. When he was my gyn and I had so much pain from the endometriosis and constant bleeding, he would pat me on the back and say some of you just have to put up with this and it used to bug the heck out of me. Then I found my new doc and he was like no one should have to live like this we can fix it, so I went with him. I actually have an appt. with the old doc tommorrow morning at 7:30, since they still have my file there I got right in. So we will see what he says. Thanks for you thoughts.
Unread 03-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Back from Doctor

I am sorry to hear that you have to have these repairs done. If you feel uncomfortable and don't trust your previous GYN, then I don't see why you would go to him for this surgery. I would definately ask your current GYN for another referral and he should respect your wishes. Oh , I see you already have an appt with old GYN. I wonder what his reaction will be since you left him for the new one because of endo and now you are inquiring about his services for repairs.
you could call your insurance company and ask for docs that specialize in this repair work. They should be able to help you. Or call your hospital too and speak with someone in the surgery center about who does these vaginal repairs.
Please keep us updated on how your old doc handled you coming back for this.
Unread 03-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Back from Doctor

Hi There!

I see you're fron Long Island, my husband & I were born & raised on the island! We moved to PA 12 years ago...I miss Robert Moses Beach and all the fabulous foods!!! But, back to to real issue....please go to "The American Urogynecologic Society" web site and click under "find a doctor". That is how I found my uro/gyn and I adore him. I go in tomorrow for anterior, posterior, & enterocele repairs & a vaginal vault suspension with a possible episitomy (diamond cut!) Just because you have an appt. with this dr. tomorrow doesn't mean you have to go with him...I had a horrible experience with my former gyn...a real arrogant, sarcastic man .. Long Island is a highly populated area - there is more than one doc who is VERY good at doing this surgery. And, not to be too suspect, but I know that with SOME doctors the attitude for referrals is "I rub his back, he rubs mine" that was actually told to me by my former PCP...so be careful. Watch out for yourself & LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCTS....they will never steer you wrong!! Take care and let us know how you make out..
Unread 03-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Back from Doctor

huntingandmoon, Mine is a rectocele, do I use a urogyn for that to? Or is a urogyn just for rectocele's? I find it all rather confusing. I do love Long Island, we go to Gilgo beach one of the Babylon town beaches. I have a teenage doughter who likes to surf and I guess that is where all the surfers go. It is a beautiful place to live. Thanks for your advice. I know I am not stuck with this guy I like to get things done and I hate waiting for things so when I was able to get in so quickly I thought let me at least go see what he says.
Unread 03-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Back from Doctor

Hi,
Gilgo Beach---right next door to the beach we used to go when I was growing up----Tobay! To answer your question...a uro/gyn does all those repairs. Cystocele, rectocele, enterocele, vaginal vault repairs as well as takes care of incontinence issues that require surgery. A uro/gyn has all the education and training as a gyn/ob, but he goes on for additional education and training. My uro/gyn no longer delivers babies, but does all the uro/gyn procedures (paps etc.) as well as surgery for his practice. Please don't be hasty in getting this done - that's the mistake I made when I had my hyster done and believe me, I'm just now starting to put that awful experience behind me - and all because I had a doctor who showed little if any respect for my concerns and feelings. So, please, please be careful! And maybe you got in quickly because he doesn't get all his slots filled - makes you wonder why....... Keep me posted...I'll check in when I get home from the hospital - in a few days!
Unread 03-02-2005, 05:24 AM
Back from Doctor

Quote:
Originally posted by huntingandmoon
And, not to be too suspect, but I know that with SOME doctors the attitude for referrals is "I rub his back, he rubs mine" that was actually told to me by my former PCP...so be careful. Watch out for yourself & LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCTS....they will never steer you wrong!! Take care and let us know how you make out..
Unfortunately, this does happen. I have seen it myself. You send all your GYN cases to me and if someone needs a GP, I will refer them to you.
Unread 03-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Back from Doctor

Hi I saw the old doctor this morning and I have to say he was very pleasant. He asked about the kids and he spent a good 1/2hour with me. I actually think he examined me far more thoroughly than my doc. He says he wouldn't recommend surgery yet, he says the rectocele is mild, I really can't imagine it being worse, it looks just like the one on pelvicfloor.com. He gave me a higher dose of the climara patch than I was on and a prescription for the bladder control. He said if I feel it is getting worse to come back and see him and we could discuss surgery but he recommends waiting. I really wasn't crazy about having another surgery so I can't say I am upset, I am just absolutly shocked that this is considered mild.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register