I just need to talk to people who understand - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I just need to talk to people who understand I just need to talk to people who understand

Unread 03-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Spoke with the nurse

Well, my conversation with the nurse went way better than I thought (whew!) I don't need to get so intimidated by nurses and doctors. The nurse called in a rx for darvocet (sp?) and the dr said to take that with the ponstel and the two will work off of eachother?. Maybe taking both together will provide relief, at this point a little relief is better than none at all. When I go to the CPP dr I will talk about PM. I'm like you all I don't want to MANAGE the pain I want the pain to GO AWAY! But even if it won't go away at least there are ways to manage it (I still don't want to though).
I want to thank everyone for your kind replies, it just means a lot that you all took the time to reply back.
I will keep you updated.
Oh, I've managed to stay at work all day I am determined to not let this hurt my career! Luckily I have an office so I can close the door and curl up in ball on my floor and cry b/c the pain gets to me. Only 30 min to go and I can pick upthe rx!

Thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
I just need to talk to people who understand

Casi,

I have darvocet for my cyclical pain. It works well. I hope it will work well for you, too.
Unread 03-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Casi,

I know what you are going through. I had chronic facia pain with my hysterectomy and couldn't tolerate many pain medicines due to my migraines. Most of the time I had to "Manage" my pain. Many times my pelvic facia pain would trigger a migraine and I would walk around the house with a little head band that you could dip into water and would stay cool for hours because it has these little ceramic beads inside it. My DH would come home from work and say "What the heck?" And I'd say, "I'm playing Indian Cheif again"

One old remedy that I used on my tummy was a hot water bottle. It never really took the pain away entirely, but it would ease the cramping. And was soothing and relaxing. So, in a pinch when you can't get your pain meds to work, you might consider heat therapy. Some people also use those heat pads you can put into the microwave. I just have the old fashioned hot water bottle. Either way. Heat therapy is heat therapy.

I also used to drink raspberry zinger tea. It's also supposed to ease cramping spasms in the pelvic area. Can't say if it ever worked on the spasms or not, but I think it's quite tasty and calms your stomach.

Hope these home remedies will be helpful to you when you can't get help from your nurses or doctors right away.

Take care, be well, and stay calm. Hope you feel better soon. We all care about you.

Lonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 12:57 PM

Casi,

I looked up ponstel online and it says that it shouldn't be taken for more than 7 days. How long did your doc tell you to take it? It is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory, like Advil, Aleve, Vioxx, Celebrex---there is another one called Toradol that can't be taken for more than 5 days.
I would definately check on this and so some research on the medication. I hope the darvocet will work for you. Unfortunately for me, taking darvocet is like taking a tylenol...it does nothing for me....but then again, I have been on pain medication on and off for almost 2 years. If the darvocet isn't working well enough, please call your doc back and request something else. But do check on the ponstel--call your doc and call your pharmacy too.
Unread 03-03-2005, 01:13 PM

Hi, Casi. I'm just wondering - it' looks like you're about two weeks post-op by your profile. that seems a little soon to be working full time and trying to have "normal activities" from everything I've ready from our other Hyster Sisters. I guess I'm not surprised you're hurting that much if it's been that short a time since surgery. I went through something similar about a hundred years ago when I had a cystic ovary and fibroids removed. I needed to be more patient and NOT over do anything.

I hope I'm not making assumptions here, but do let your doctor know you hurt and very definitely be honest about your activities. We're here to listen to you, honey, but you need more tangible help than we can give you online. Keep writing and let us know how you are progressing. We really care.

cj
Unread 03-03-2005, 07:26 PM

CJ,

You are so right. Two weeks post op after a hysterectomy you think "EGADS, will I never feel better again?" or "Did a steam roller run over me and I didn't even see it coming?"

Two weeks post op I was so mad at my doctors because they couldn't find any pain meds that would work and they wanted me to keep taking the delaudid that was making me CRAZY , so I did a bad, bad thing. I showed them. I went off the delaudid cold turkey. It triggered a 3 day migraine and I called my doctor and said, "O.K. NOW you either give me something that works or give me a referal to the University's PAIN CLINIC!!!!!!!!!!!" Talk about a hysterical women. They finally gave me valium. That's it, just valium. That's all they would give me. I guess that's all I could take. Oh well, at least I was calm. I still had pain, but I was calm about it.

Casi,

The good news is - This too shall pass. Or hopefully it will. And if it doesn't in the long run, then look into going to a pain clinic to manage your pain. Managing your pain doesn't mean you have to live in pain. It just means you have chronic pain. Like my migraines. I manage my migraine pain with a preventative medication. I'm now migraine free most of the time. And when I do get a migraine I have another medication I can take to get rid of it. So pain management doesn't mean you live in pain. It means you have pain that is not going to go away and you need a long term plan. So if your doctor is suggesting "Pain management" don't take that as a negative thing. "Pain management" helps people with constant chronic pain live pain free lives all the time.
Unread 03-03-2005, 09:25 PM

Take a look again at the dates, ladies: she had her surgery over two years ago.

That being said, I've had similar experiences. Although I've not been in formal "pain management," my doctor (this is a neurosurgeon, for discs that have cut off nerves in my arm causing nerve pain) works with me so that the pain is within a level that enables me to work and live my life. I can even work out...some. Luckily, the same regimen works on my pelvic pain.

(((Casi))), I hope the Darvocet works as a starting point for you to get some relief. It's a lot easier to think clearly when you're not hurting quite so much!

s to all,

Audrey
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:03 PM

Audrey,

Thanks for setting us straight on those dates. And thanks for sharing your experience with pain management. I'm so happy I'm pain free with my migraines I used to have a headache everyday. I know how bad chronic pain can be. I'm so happy mine can be treated with medicine. My father has rheumatoid arthritis. He has been trying to manage his pain since he was 38 years old. He has good days and bad days. The RA has pretty much crippled him now that he is 71 years old. But, he's still hanging in there managing his pain. The pain management centers today I hear are fabulous. I've never had to resort to one, myself. But they help so many people live more comfortable lives.

When you are suffering from chronic pain, it is very, very difficult. Neurosurgeons and neurologist are great pain managers. My migraine doctor is the head of neurosugery and he saved me from he "looney bin" when no one else could help me.

Lonny
Unread 03-04-2005, 10:13 AM

Thanks Audrey for clearing up the confusion on my surgery dates. My goodness, it would take a super hero to go back to normal activities ONLY 2 WEEKS POST-OP!! :eyes:

Thanks so much Lonny, I have a heating pad and one of those things with calming herbs in it to put in the microwave, and it does relax the tummy a little. I will try the raspberry zinger tea, I love any kind of hot tea.

The darvocets don’t really work that great, but the chronic pelvic pain doc called back. They had a cancellation so I go Monday at 2:30!!
Maybe he can rx something stronger. I don’t feel like the Ponstel does much, even with the darvocet so I’m not taking it. Hopefully the appt will go well w/ the cpp doc.

Thank you everyone for all of your sincere replys and sharing your experiences!!!
I will let you all know how my appt goes on Monday!

You ALL are wonderful and give great support, thank you for all of your kind words!
Unread 03-04-2005, 10:21 AM

Casi -
I'm glad you were able to move your date up! Hopefully you'll finally be able to get some relief! I agree - Darvocet is like eating candy! (Bring on the Toradol/Morphine/Narc of choice!!! )

Try to have a good weekend - look forward to the painless weekends ahead! enjoy your little one!

Cortney

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register