Anyone have rectocele? or Rectocele surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have rectocele? or Rectocele surgery Anyone have rectocele? or Rectocele surgery

Unread 08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Anyone have rectocele? or Rectocele surgery

Hi.
I can sure use some help with info....Im 7 months post op and now have Rectocele....my Dr said I can live with this all my life...I sometimes dont feel it....sometimes I feel pressure and sometimes a little pain...has anyone else had these feelings of pressure & sometimes pain? If anyone has had surgery can you tell me if its as bad as the hysterectomy (Vaginal HYsterectomy) what are the tests given before surgery? Were you also told you can live with this all your life? Are you having bowel problems with this....I have to take metamucel and stool softeners from day one of my surgery, After Rectocele surgery are your bowel movement normal again? Thanks, Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2005, 07:02 PM

I actually had the rectocele repair along with my TVH. I was told that in a few years I would probably have chronic problems from this and that it was good that I asked about it before my hyst so I could have it at the same time. Truthfully I would have had only slight cramps from my TVH had I not had the repair. And the pain from the repair ceased 2 nights ago, 1 week and 1 day after I had it done. The main pain felt very much like an episiotamy or tear repair after child birth. I did not think I was having symptoms from the rectocele I just happened to notice it because I had to treat myself for a bacterial infection and would actually have to move that area out of the way. Thanks to this wonderful sight I knew enough to ask about this as mine would fall away when on my back. I now know that I was having symptoms and it is so much easier. Not only are things working better down there, things are also going to be more snug like I never gave birth vaginally, woohoo. I hope that sharing my experience has been helpful to you. If you think you want this done I would find a doc to do it. GL to you Angela
Unread 08-27-2005, 01:43 AM

I had my TAH in May of 2004. I don't think I had a rectocele back then, but it was an emergency and I wasn't checked out too thoroughly before the surgery.
I was diagnosed with a very small rectocele last Oct. My gyn said kegels would probably help me. In Dec I saw a colon dr. because my gyn thought maybe I was having other bowel issues. I had a defecography done. This test shows all pelvic floor problems. I ended up having a large non emptying rectocele and a enterocele by then. I had to splint most of the time to empty my rectum. I had the repairs done vaginally and he used pelvicol to reinforce the vagina. This was Jan. 25th. I felt no pain with my recovery. I now know that is most likely because of nerve damage. I continue with bm issues and still need to splint and strain to go most times. I am on miralax and stool softeners and suppositories. I think I am one of the unusual ones when it comes to having good results with the repairs. I am under the care of a world known uro/gyn who specialies in pelvic reconstruction. I now have a cystocele and stress incontinence. I will have a anterior repair and a tvt soon. At the same time I will have a lapro to look for prolapses again of the old repairs and to look for causes of my ongoing abdominal pain.
From my experience the rectocele will continue to get bigger and cause more and more bowel issues. I feel surgical correction is the best thing to do for long term results. I suggest seeing a uro/gyn as they specialize in this area.
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2005, 08:10 AM

Well I Had A Vag.hyst. In 2003. And I Just Had My Cyctocele And Rectocele Repaired On The 12 Of This Month.
I Would Say It Hurt Pretty Bad, But They Supplied Morphine In The Recovery Room..
Everyday Is Getting Better,and Yes My Bm's Have Been Much Better!!!! I Am Sooo Regular And Before The Surgery I Was Not At All!!! Are You Having The Repaires Done Soon? I Didn't Have Any Test Preformed Before The Surgery Becasue As Soon As He Looked Down There He Knoew I Needed It Fixed.. I'm Glad I Had It Fixed Because I Look Normal Again Down There.. Right Before My Surgery I Was A Grade 3. It Was Hanging Out And I Felt Horriable.so I'm Glad To Be Normal Now .the Revovery Time Is A Little Longer Then I Accepted,but I Had The Hyst. In 2003 Then Another Surgery To Fix The Vag. Cuff In 2004 And Now These Repaires.hang In There And Take Care!
Unread 08-27-2005, 09:17 AM

Okay, so what exactly is a rectocele? I had a hysterectomy a year ago and my bowel problems have gotten worse and worse over the years. I didn't connect it to the surgery, just to some medications I take making me have a hard time going. I take Metamucil and stool softeners everyday now and try and eat more fiber. I have really bad hemmorroids that flare up every time I have a bm. It is very painful when I go. I am in need of a colonoscopy since I'm 55 and have never had one yet. I need to find a dr. and hopefully repair my bowel problems as well. I really don't want surgery, but don't know the alternatives. Any suggestions anyone can offer would be appreciated.
Thank you,
atf
Unread 08-27-2005, 06:30 PM

I also had a Stage 3 rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst. In my case, since I had been postponing the hyst for two years, the rectocele was the last drop that helped me to finally make that decision. My ob/gyn did say that waiting could result in the rectocele getting worse and in the symptoms becoming untolerable. Among other things, any straining (including straining to have a BM) could increase the severity of the prolapse. Of course, the large uterus sitting on my organs did not help matters any!!

The rectocele part of my surgery included an episioty-like incision on the perineum that involved a lot of pain, initially. Thankfully, this pain was easily managed with Tylelol 3 by the 3rd day post-op. Using a peri-bottle, filled with hot water to spray on the area was a blessing and translated in instant relief!!!

atf: a rectocele is when the rectum prolapses into the vagina. For me, it did involve some bowel issues, but the main symptom was a bulge at the entrance of the vagina. Please, do talk to your doctor about the issues you're dealing with.
Unread 08-27-2005, 07:26 PM

hi Diane
My gyn could see the rectocele before I ever had the defecogram the colon rectal surgeon ordered. My gyn didn't know at that time that I also had a enterocele, but he would have seen it once he opened up my posterior floor for the rectocele repair. Usually a defecogram is not need to diagnose a rectocele. The colon surgeon was looking to see if I had a different prolapse in my hiney.
They put barium in your rectum which has the consistency of bm. you drink 2 cups of barium, which coats your intestines. you put barium in your vagina, which helps prolapses show up. Next they slide you onto a toilet looking thing, which also takes pictures and tapes you pelvic floor when you rest, squeeze, strain to push out bm.It was amazing how it really showed how large my once small rectocele was. It does not hurt at all, but is a little embarrasing!
The barium is under a national recall, so I am on a long waiting list for the test. I had one in Dec. before my repairs. If my uro/gyn finds something causing my bm issues when he does the diagnostic lapro. I will not need to have the defeco. again.
Your dr. should be able to diagnose you without it.Good luck with finding a answer.
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register