Day before surgery diet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day before surgery diet? Day before surgery diet?

Unread 01-23-2002, 04:27 PM
Day before surgery diet?

My surgery is next week (2/1) and I am wondering about diet the last week before surgery. I am planning on eating on the light side, no meat or "heavy" foods.

My pre-op appointment is next Wednesay and I am sure the Dr. will fill me in on day-before diet. My question now is, is there anything I should know or be doing before this appointment in the way of eating/food?

Also, since I am working up to the day before surgery, the group I work with want to take me to lunch. We are going to a Chinese restaurant, and I figured I could stick to something on the somewhat bland side. Do you think that will be ok? I thought if I ate lunch out I might just have a very light dinner - like tea and toast or something. Unfortunately we couldn't do the lunch earlier in the week, scheduling problems. I suppose I could always just have wonton soup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Day before surgery diet?

Hi debbiealexa,
Your doctor will tell you about food the day before, some doctors put their patients on clear liquids (jello, koolaid, broth) others don't. If you are making plans for the day before you might want to check with your doctor sooner and plan your party a day earlier, if the above restricts apply to you.

I ate whatever I wanted 2 days before, and clear liquids the day before.

Whichever your doctor suggests, you'll want to drink lots of fluids.
Jan
Unread 01-23-2002, 04:47 PM
Day before surgery diet?

You may wish to go to lunch with your co-workers a day earlier. I would call the doctor's office right away to find out your instructions for the day before. I was on clear liquids. You MUST follow your doctor's orders regarding this and all other issues regarding pre and post-op.

Best wishes,
Patty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 04:51 PM
Good question....

Like debbiealexa, I'm sure I'll find out at my pre-op appt., but I'm wondering if I should keep it on the light side for a few days prior. My surgery is on a Tuesday (2/5/02), and I'm not yet sure if I'm going to work that day before or not. I'm willing to do just about anything to avoid the gas that I had with my c-section in '85 though!!!

Also, the director of nursing at my doctor's office told me that I need to be drinking 8 glasses of water a day for two weeks prior to the surgery. Oh my God that's so much water! Did anyone else do that??? I can't remember to drink it!!!
Unread 01-23-2002, 04:54 PM
Day before surgery diet?

Is that true about the water? I have not been drinking that much. I know I need to drink more. I mean I know it is always good to drink a lot of water, but why in this case? I plan to drink plenty AFTER, but I am 10 days away - start drinking a lot now? Why?
Unread 01-23-2002, 05:16 PM
Day before surgery diet?

I only have a theory on the water deal, and that is that it's probably better to be as hydrated as possible going into major surgery. I am reeeealy bad about drinking enough water now, but I will HAVE to force myself to do it afterwards...
Unread 01-23-2002, 05:26 PM
Day before surgery diet?

Debbie,
Hello, I am having my surgery on 1/29/ I had my pre-op today,
and my doctor, is making me do a bowel prep the day before my surgery. So my meals would consists of light breakfast, jello, soup for lunch, and just clear liquids for dinner. and nothing after midnight. I would check with you doctor to find out about what you can eat for your lunch. I am not sure what your doctor will do. I plan on eating big 2 days before my surgery. I wish you lots of luck.

Ratchet

Unread 01-23-2002, 06:48 PM
Day before surgery diet?

In a perfect world (but who lives in a perfect world) you should drink 6-8 8oz glasses of water everyday. If you drink coffee, or any other caffeinated beverage, for every 8 oz of that you drink you should add another 8oz of water. I think you can substitute some of the water for fruit juices (trying to remember the weight watchers stuff), but coffee and soda don't count towards the water total. Also if you're overweight you are supposed to add another glass, I think one for every 20 pounds over your ideal weight, I'm not sure, it's not that important.

You need to be well hydrated before surgery. It makes it easier to find a vein for iv's and any other meds you may need, they are nice and plump when you have lots of water in your system. If you retain fluid, as strange as this sounds, you need to drink more water so your tissues will figure out that they are going to get all they need and they don't need to hold on to any extra.

A few tips to help you remember to get that water into you: have a glass as soon as you get up. Fill a 24 oz sport bottle (that's 3 glasses worth) and drink it before lunch. Have a glass of water at lunch. Refill your sport bottle for the afternoon and drink it before dinner. You've had your 8 glasses of water. I'd stop drinking by 6 or 7 so you won't have to get up in the night. And your body will get used to having more water and after a week or so you won't have to go to the bathroom so often (to pee anyway). Remember if you put lemon in your water you're defeating the whole purpose of drinking it, lemon is a natural diuretic, so it may make the water taste better but it won't help hydrate.
Unread 01-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Day before surgery diet?

This is the first time I've heard anything about Pre-op diets and drinking tons of water. I'm a big water drinker, but have found since Nov. that I can't consume as much due to my prolapse problem. I'm in the bathroom all the time now! I was going to teach the day before my surgery, did anyone else have problems working the day before their surgery?
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:03 PM
Day before surgery diet?

Hey ladies! Drinking lots of water is always healthy, but PLEASE PLEASE do not initiate ANY pre-op dietary changes unless your doctor specifically instructs you to do so!!

This is really important...follow your doctor's pre-op diet instructions to the letter...each doctor has their own approach for each different patient. Water sounds harmless enough to me, but I'm not a doctor... PLEASE ASK FIRST!!!

If you are curious about it, call the office and speak to the doctor so you can plan accordingly.

The wrong (FOR YOU) pre-op eating or drinking regimen can jeopardize your surgery, so please speak to your doctor and get the right information for you.

We want you all to be safe and healthy...s!!!

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register