So glad I found..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So glad I found..... So glad I found.....

Unread 01-23-2002, 12:16 PM
So glad I found.....

Hi Ladies.....Wow....I've been doing my research from this site now since I found out earlier this month that I'd have to have a hysterectomy and bladder repair. I'm very very nervous about the pain afterward and of course not looking forward to the removal of the cath a day or two after surgery. I would like to hear from anyone who has had both done during the same surgery and mainly want to know about the recovery process.
I'm new to this site so I'm still learning where everything is and everytime I log on I find myself lost in reading for an hr. or longer.
You ladies are so caring for each other and I hope to join in in that process once I'm home from the castle. I'll have the knowledge of having "been there, done that" then! Please forgive me for not using the terms correctly, as that's what I'm learning as I read your great posts.

Please tell me all I need to know to be prepared.
Oh.....btw.......I've been bleeding since Nov.3 non-stop, Prometrium and Femhrt not helping at all.
Take Care,
Cheryl

scheduled for a vag. hyst. and bladder repair. on Feb.11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 01:09 PM
So glad I found.....

Hi Cooky,

WELCOME!!!! I'm am glad you found us!! This is a WONDERFUL site with WONDERFUL ladies.

I didn't have any bladder work during my TAH, but I can tell you that the pain I had after my surgery was nothing compared to the pain I had before it!

You just have to remember that you only get ONE time to heal, so enjoy the pampering! Following the 2 week P.J. rule is a good one to follow so you won't be tempted to do anything you shouldn't be doing.

To find our more information, you can use the search for different key words to help you. Don't feel bad about not knowing the terms, they'll come to you and if they don't, please don't be afraid to ask...NO question is to silly, so ask away! This is a learning experience for all of us.

Stop into the Chat Room and meet some of the WONDERFUL ladies I was talking about earlier. The Chat Room was/is a real blessing to me before and after the sugery and made all the difference in the world!

's and ers to you,
Unread 01-23-2002, 01:21 PM
So glad I found.....

Hi Cheryl, I had a burch (bladder repair) and a TVH at the same time. With the hyster, I just had some cramping (we all know how that feels) but nothing any worse than what a bad month brought on. I had some menopausal symptoms (kept ovaries) that I didn't expect, such as, night sweats, insommina, hot flashes. Most of the ladies here have that go away in a couple of months but mine has stayed with me, (go figure?).
With the bladder surgery, I had a subQ hematoma (collection of blood under the skin) that took a couple of weeks to dissolve. That was my fault, I was changing my sheets at 3 days post (night sweats) and I broke a small blood vessel under the skin. Remember to take it easy, no matter how good you feel!
After that, I had urge incontinence (instead of stress incont. like before the surgery) but the dr. said that was pretty normal for a few months. It takes a while for your bladder to recover and you have to retrain it to hold liquids for a period of time.
I went home with a self-cath. kit but was able to go on my own in a couple of days. Self-cathing sounds bad but once you get the hang of it, it lets you get to bed faster. It took forever to go on my own.
I hope I'm not scaring you with any of this. It's been nine months and I'm so glad I did it. No more periods to plan my life around and I can run/job without a diaper.
Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.
Tam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 04:45 PM
So glad I found.....

Hi Cathy,
I had a TAH/BSO with a Burch bladder suspension 11 weeks ago. My cath was in for about 20 hours. When the nurse removed it there was a slight tug, but not anything painful or unpleasant. I was up and using the restroom right away.

Painwise, I had a morphine pump immediately after surgery. I do not remember leaving the OR, being in recovery or the journey to my room. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say my pain on waking was 7 or 8 (more than I expected), but responded well to the pump once I was conscious enough to control it (i did also have a small amount of morphine going in w/o pump). I slept well that night and the next day went off the pump and onto percocet and iboprofen orally. They worked well for me. I spaced my meds out the day of discharge so I took one about an hour before the car ride home and for while dh went to the pharmacy for more.

Within a week I was on ibuprofen only and then not even that. I found after the initial incision pain, the discomfort was mainly from swelling.

When you know which type of bladder work you are having you might want to do a search on this site. I am just getting over a cold with coughing and sneezing (still and ouch), but NO leaking anymore! Jan
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:47 PM
So glad I found.....

Thank you ladies for responding so quickly to my post. I grab on to every word I can read from women who have already traveled down the road I'm headed down. I hope to be able to help others after me, too, by posting my pre and post surgery story. All the knowledge I can gather prior to my surgery can only enhance my recovery.
Take Care,
Cheryl
TVH and bladder repair-sched. for 2/11/2002

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register