surgery on obese people - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on obese people surgery on obese people

Unread 01-14-2002, 06:42 AM
regarding size

Hello Deby, I am so glad that you had this post. I have been thinking of things to ask and you really have helped me alot. I am a plus size woman myself and I do mean plus size. Anyway my fear has been going under I just want to make sure that I wake up to my wonderful Husband and Son. My surgery is set for Friday 1-18-02. Please have me in your prayers as I will you and I will keep you posted on my recovery.

Janifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 02:15 PM
surgery on obese people

Me too! I was told (very nicely) by my DR that because I was heavy my body produced more estrogen which contributed to my situation. I have read that us plus size girls have a statistically greater chance of an infection (I had one). I also understand that the DRs usually prefer to cut us vertically.

I did ask if he could take out a couple of handfuls of fat while he was in there. Know what he said? He shook his head and said, "We like you just the way you are!"

How nice of him.....Don't believe it, but how nice....!
Unread 01-15-2002, 12:41 AM
plump and beautiful

Hey I like all those expressions...how about plump and beautiful...

Anyway. I am glad someone brought up this topic.. If you have read any of my posts you can see what a difficult time i have been having...My has embedded in my mind that being overweight causes added risks for surgery.

He seems to think that being up in numbers, put kindly,can make a surgeon not sure about doing the surgery,also the fact i have had multiple surgeries and there maybe quite a bit of scar tissue in my pelvic region. I believe he is stalling. I am going to print some of these posts/replies and mail it to his office.

It is outrageous what i have been through talk about a nighmere and losing your quality of life. Unbelievable!!!

Because the has asked me to lose weight, i promised i would do what i could,but no more. So since june of last year I went from 340 pounds down to 280 pounds,but that just not good enough for them. So everyday i do stomach crunches , anything to make them see how desperate i am to have the surgery.

I guess we have the poorest,sorriest in this area. I guess they are just chicken to do my surgery . I don't know, but i am getting very tired and warn out. THe fighting for the surgery since 1988 has been draining both physically and mentally and i don't know how much longer i can fight.

Due to being depressed all the time, my mom got me a personal trainer, if you are wondering how i lost all that weight , she has me on a food program, not diet, program, she says when you say program it means for life, then we work out together one on one twice a week. So far so good. She has really boosted my self-esteem. I am glad i have her,even though from the neck down she looks like a man,because she is a bodybuilder.

Anyway, I just wish i had some of your doctors,to help them understand here, that size is not an issue.

Well take care and i am glad for all of you who were able to have their surgeries done despite size..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 07:31 PM
?

I notice there are a lot of plus-size women on this board, but hardly anyone tells their weight.

I am 220 lbs, 5'4", and a size 18. Not too worried about surgery if I have to have any because, again, it's mostly in the butt and legs.
Unread 01-19-2002, 08:48 PM
surgery on obese people

I too am a plus sized woman. 185 and 5'4". Since I've been carrying around a fibroid the size of a 3-4 month pregnancy for the past 10 years I figure after the hyster I should be skinnier????? What are your thoughts. Is this too much to hope for? I've been working out and watching my diet closer since October but can't seem to lose a pound. I'm hoping that it's my current condition and that will all change after surgery. Let me know what you think.
Unread 01-20-2002, 05:45 AM
Helpful hints for women of substance

Hello, I am 11 days post op, and wanted to give you some ideas that worked for me. Bring some stretched out lycra underpants to the hospital, since the garter belts will cut into the wider hips. Wear fairly new lycra underpants when you get home. WALK, WALK, WALK as soon as you can. Take your pain medication, to help you move about easier. Obesity is a risk factor for Post Op complications, but if you follow your Doctor's advice, and think before you move, you shouldn't have too many problems.
Unread 01-20-2002, 07:52 AM
surgery on obese people

Hello,
Well I myself am a BBW ( big beautiful woman). When I had my myomectomy 3 yrs ago, it wasn't an issure that I was over weight. I had a transverse abdominal cut. I felt great, then one morning I woke up with a pin hole in my incision, and just started draining. I don't think that had anything to do with my size that I got this pin hole, I think it may have been because after my myomectomy I was all alone & did too much. I am having an adbominal hysterectomy on feb 20, and no one has made mention of my size as being an issue. I am so glad someone else said out loud what I have been thinking, since I found out back in October I'd be needing surgery, I have watched carefully what I have been eating & still haven't been able to lose any weight. I think it may be from the lupron, I know I have swelling in my hands & feet. I also have a uterus enlarged to a 3 month pregnancy, I am sure that isn't helping one lil bit. I too am hoping once my surgery is all over with & I " deliver" my multiple fibroids I'll feel better & lose some weight.
And this time, I have my honey who will make sure I don't do anything to hurt myself.....
Unread 01-20-2002, 10:07 AM
surgery on obese people

Thank goodness someone brought up this subject of us women who have "more to love". As I sit here reading all the message boards I have been picturing slim women with flat tummies talking about their surgeries and recoveries. I am very overweight (about 80 pounds more than I should be) and can't remember when I last had a flat stomach. The only time my doctor mentioned my weight was when I asked if she could do a LAVH. She said because of my size it would not be possible and she would have to do a TAH. I really am glad though to hear from other women of size. It is embarassing to go to the hospital and think you are the only large women who has ever been through this. Now I know I'm just one of the crowd!!! Thanks a million times for making me feel better about this. By the way, I also thought of asking my doctor if she could suck out some fat while she was in there. Wouldn't it be great to come out with a flatter stomach than when you went in??? And hey, we do have lots of those 'big' undies to get us through our post-surgical days. Good luck to all and best wishes. You are all in my thoughts.
Unread 01-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Weight, weight, weight ...

I get so sick of the prevalent attitude in society that the best and only measure of your health is what the numbers on the scale say and what size pants you can squeeze into. Every "healthy diet plan" mostly rates itself by the one burning question: do people lose weight on it? And that's it.

I saw an infomercial the other day where a woman dieted down from a perfectly normal and healthy size 8 into a size 1!!! I read that Jessica Simpson, trim and beautiful at a size 6, was deemed by her handlers not to be thin enough, so was forced to diet down into a size 2!!! (Ahem ... WHO makes all the money off her when she competes more successfully in her new shape with that other blonde clone, what's-her-name???) Now I read interviews with her and she is saying, "I know I eat too much, and it's a fault I have ..." How SAD!!!

This is ridiculous. There is much, much more to being healthy than how much body fat you have or do not have. Are you getting the right nutrients in your diet? Do you get any exercise? If so you are probably healthier than either of the above two women!!

The current obsession with body size and shape leads women to diet who are just fine and healthy the way they are and do not need to lose any weight!! I am sure that one of the reasons I am fat today is that I thought something was wrong with me and I was too fat ... when I was 17 years old, weighed 115 lbs, and wore a size 8!

My weight has been up and down so many times I am sure my metabolism is shot. Even if I ate only lettuce for the rest of my life (and who wants to do that??), I'd still be fat.

My point is: If you eat healthy and exercise, your weight is not that big a deal. Tune out society's messages that you are horrible and must lose X pounds. You are just fine the way you are!! God didn't create all women to be bony, brittle sticks with ribs showing like washboards.

All of this "thin" backlash is, notice, mostly against *women* and is mostly about economics, not health. Every time you say, "I hate my fat thighs ... I hate my stomach ... I hate the way I look" someone is making BIG MONEY off of you!! I finally wized up and I don't let them do that to me any more.

Buy a copy of The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf. It changed my whole life and made me feel much, much better about myself. It'll be good readin' for the castle!!!
Unread 01-20-2002, 01:10 PM
surgery on obese people

I absolutely agree with you... BUT...
1- I am not at a healthy weight for me... I feel fat, I find it hard to move around, and it is ME not society who is saying I need to lose weight. Yes I am over weight, I admit it,,, no one needs to tell me that, or any other overweight woman. And I am talking someone who is truely over weight, not the Hollywood types who if they lose 1000000 bls they will land that PERFECT role.
2- I am a professional model. At 120 lbs & 5'5 I was too fat to model. I was told by the modeling agency which I was under contract to, that I had to lose another 15 preferably 20 lbs. I starved & just couldn't lose the weight. I am now 5'5 and 250 lbs, I am still modeling and I have a large following of fans, BUT lately I am not feeling good. I feel sluggish & am finding it difficult to move around, and sometimes I get short of breath bending over to tie my shoes. So for health reasons I feel that I need to lose weight. No one is telling me to lose weight, but at this stage of my life, I want to lose some weight & what I said was frustrating me was that no matter how much I dieted, I just couldn't lose weight. Which was what the other woman in her post said.
3- And like you, I have yo yo dieted all my life, till one day I just said ENOUGH, I am going to eat what I want... so I assume at the age of 39, I too have probably ruined my metabolism.
4- And in reading back, the woman who started this thread, was wondering about other " BBW's" who had the surgery & what their doctor told them about their weight.
5- And as much as I hate to admit it... obesity is a risk factor in any surgery, and other diseases & medical conditions... as well as smoking, drinking & abusing drugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register