Scheduled dVH/RALH da Vinci/vaginal questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

da Vinci/vaginal questions da Vinci/vaginal questions

Unread 12-11-2012, 01:11 PM
da Vinci/vaginal questions

With a da Vinci, is everything removed from the incisions, typically? My surgeon is planning on using the dV robot, but removing the uterus vaginally. Is that normal? I have a 'child-size' uterus, as I've never been pregnant. It seems like I'm having two surgeries (dVH and VH).

He said I'll have 3 incisions, plus the cut in my vagina. He's removing everything, plus a staple that floated down from my gallbladder surgery and has tissue grown over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Re: da Vinci/vaginal questions

That is different from what I'm having. Allegedly she is going to take uterus and ovaries through da Vinci ports. Nothing vaginally (my cervix is scarred shut) but I also have a small uterus
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:05 PM

DaVinci is to assist with the vaginal hysterectomy most of the time, from my understanding, although they can sometimes remove it through one of the ports. It is one surgery but with a little extra help. The DaVinci allows the doctor a better view of your abdominal than with a straight vaginal hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM

I had a Dvh/Bso and had four incisions. I had everything removed through the vagina. I have had three vaginal deliveries. However the Dr explained that everything is cut into small strips and removed. Perhaps this is how your procedure will be done. Good luck and wishing you a successful surgery.
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM

I have 5 incisions, but my uterus was removed vaginally, which I didn't even realize until I asked at my 1-week post-op appt! It was twice normal size, so the doc had to slice it almost in half to get it out. Yummy, huh? Lol
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM

My surgery is scheduled for January 29, 2013 and I will be having DVH with uterus and cervix through vagina. I am told that my uterus will be cut up and removed vaginally, that is because I have a very enlarged uterus with many fibroids. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM

I had the Davinci surgery on November 8. I had 5 incisions made, and everything was removed through my vagina. My uterus was the size of a 4 1/2 months pregnant woman, which was cut up before removing. I also had so many fibroids they could not count them. One weighed 2lbs. and the size of an apple. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM

This is a very good question. One of my medical opinions said my enlarged uterus was too big to "be delivered" and that I would likely need abdominal H. Fortunately other opinion was DVH trained doc and that's who I'm going with. I asked him your question and he said if too big to pull through vagina, he will use morcellator on it... I'd already read up on that and watched YouTube video. There is always a chance he will still need to do cut on belly. btw, my castle date is thursday and NOT tomorrow. One more day to fret! Best of luck to you!
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM

chrisnsteph

A davinci surgery is a form of laproscopic surgery. The surgeonuses the robot as a 'tool' during surgery giving him / her better visualization, usually little to no blood loss, more contol over open surgery and less strain(since they are seated at theconsoleco trolling the surgical equipment.

A vaginal hysterectomy is sometimes referred to as a blind hysterectomy because the surgeon goes through the vagina detaches the uterus andremoveseverything vaginally usuallywithout the aid of laproscopic cameras.

As for how the uterus is removedina a laproscopic surgery..it depends..

If you are keeping your cervix (called a supracervical hysterectomy) the organs are usually cut into smaller pieces and removed through an incision.
If you aren't keeping your cervix (called a total hysterectomy) the organs may be cut up into smaller pieces and removed vaginally or if small enough they will be removed whole via the vagina.
In the case of of laproscopic surgery for cancer the organs are detached from ligaments, bagged while they are in the body and removed intact through the vagina. They don'twant them cut up since that ould spread cancer.

If the cervix is removed the closure at the top of the vagina is called a vaginal cuff. The vagina is generallyreferred to as the vaginal vault.

I hope that helps.

Unread 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM

Mine was removed through one of the ports ater it was masserated inside. That also included a 36.4 x 30.0 cm fibroid. The masseration and extaction took 3 hours on its own. Total surgery time for me, 6 hours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register