Contemplating a hysterectomy - (already lost both ovaries over the last eleven years) UPDATED: hysterectomy sched 3/18 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Contemplating a hysterectomy - (already lost both ovaries over the last eleven years) UPDATED: hysterectomy sched 3/18 Contemplating a hysterectomy - (already lost both ovaries over the last eleven years) UPDATED: hysterectomy sched 3/18

Unread 03-02-2021, 09:06 AM
Re: Contemplating a hysterectomy - consultation Feb 2 (Age 37; already have lost both ovaires over the last eleven years

Hi KMFMa--I was thinking of you and wanted to ask how you made out, but I couldn't find my own thread! I'm so glad you wrote.

It's really, really hopeful that this doctor would try to preserve your remaining ovary! That's really good news. I hope it all works out that he can actually do that for you. I was fine having only one ovary. I'll pray for you that that happens. HRT is truly very difficult and not having natural ovaries is just...well, unnatural. I wish I could have my ovaries back.

As for me, I finally got to my consultation yesterday. I'll say that I'm pretty overwhelmed and have been crying quite a bit. My ob/gyn had made it sound like I'd only need my uterus removed. But the surgeon I saw yesterday said that he would prefer to take both my uterus and my cervix. He said that if he leaves even a tiny bit of uterus in there (I guess it's hard to get 100% of it), then my estrogen supplementation can turn that tiny bit of uterus into cancer one day.

I'm really nervous. I scheduled the surgery for March 18, and the surgeon said I can tell him the morning of whether I want to keep my cervix or not. Just seems like such a big decision! I don't know if having my cervix removed will have negative side effects or what. I don't know what to do.

Thanks for checking in. I'm so happy that your doctor is willing to try to preserve your ovary for you! I truly hope it works out. Please keep me posted, and I'll keep praying for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2021, 07:08 AM
Re: Contemplating a hysterectomy - consultation Feb 2 (Age 37; already have lost both ovaires over the last eleven years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNotAfraid View Post
I'm really nervous. I scheduled the surgery for March 18, and the surgeon said I can tell him the morning of whether I want to keep my cervix or not. Just seems like such a big decision! I don't know if having my cervix removed will have negative side effects or what. I don't know what to do.

(((BeNotAfraid)))

Now that you've scheduled your surgery, please don't hesitate to move over to the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Support Forum and start a new thread there for support. The cervix dilemma is a common one!

You'll also want to add the surgery date to your profile here to benefit from all the date triggered support features.

I'm sending best wishes and positive thoughts!

Unread 03-24-2021, 10:00 PM
Contemplating a hysterectomy - (already lost both ovaries over the last eleven years) UPDATED: hysterectomy sched 3/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNotAfraid View Post
Hi KMFMa--I was thinking of you and wanted to ask how you made out, but I couldn't find my own thread! I'm so glad you wrote.

It's really, really hopeful that this doctor would try to preserve your remaining ovary! That's really good news. I hope it all works out that he can actually do that for you. I was fine having only one ovary. I'll pray for you that that happens. HRT is truly very difficult and not having natural ovaries is just...well, unnatural. I wish I could have my ovaries back.

As for me, I finally got to my consultation yesterday. I'll say that I'm pretty overwhelmed and have been crying quite a bit. My ob/gyn had made it sound like I'd only need my uterus removed. But the surgeon I saw yesterday said that he would prefer to take both my uterus and my cervix. He said that if he leaves even a tiny bit of uterus in there (I guess it's hard to get 100% of it), then my estrogen supplementation can turn that tiny bit of uterus into cancer one day.

Thanks for checking in. I'm so happy that your doctor is willing to try to preserve your ovary for you! I truly hope it works out. Please keep me posted, and I'll keep praying for you.
Hey how are you? Sorry for such a late reply!
How did things go? Are you healing well? I am sending prayers & blessings your way

I have surgery next week to do a cystectomy...the cyst is growing rapidly so we need to get it taken care of. My regular OBGYN has been very supportive of trying to keep the ovary for as long as possible & I am happy about that. I am praying that surgery goes well next week and that the cysts will stay away for a long time. My Dr. is pretty certain that in the long run I will end up with a Hysterectomy, but as long as we can manage the cysts she said she is happy to put it off for as long as possible.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register