Scheduled dVH/RALH Upcoming hysterectomy 3/26: Catheter at home after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 3/26: Catheter at home after surgery Upcoming hysterectomy 3/26: Catheter at home after surgery

Unread 03-05-2021, 12:08 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 3/26: Catheter at home after surgery

My Dr. told me today that I would be sent home with a catheter in and would need it for a week and then they will remove it.
Has anyone else had to do this? If so, how hard is it to deal with?
My only support and help with my recovery are 3 men and they won't like anything to gross.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2021, 07:35 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 3/26: Catheter at home after surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
My Dr. told me today that I would be sent home with a catheter in and would need it for a week and then they will remove it.
Has anyone else had to do this? If so, how hard is it to deal with?
My only support and help with my recovery are 3 men and they won't like anything to gross.
Hi there, I was sent home with what they call a "pain ball" with a tiny catheter attached. Is this what your doc is referring to? The catheter I had (actually two teeny tiny little skinny tubes) was put in place while I was still under anesthesia. It's attached to a ball about the size of an orange that contains numbing medicine for around the incision. You carry around with you in a little sling, and it eventually becomes completely flat and at that time, I was instructed to remove the catheter myself. I did so while my husband watched to make sure I didn't pass out or anything (lol). It was completely painless except for the tiny dot of surgical glue that was stubborn to let go. But then, your doc may be talking about something different if they are going to remove it.
Unread 03-05-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentonisen View Post
Hi there, I was sent home with what they call a "pain ball" with a tiny catheter attached. Is this what your doc is referring to? The catheter I had (actually two teeny tiny little skinny tubes) was put in place while I was still under anesthesia. It's attached to a ball about the size of an orange that contains numbing medicine for around the incision. You carry around with you in a little sling, and it eventually becomes completely flat and at that time, I was instructed to remove the catheter myself. I did so while my husband watched to make sure I didn't pass out or anything (lol). It was completely painless except for the tiny dot of surgical glue that was stubborn to let go. But then, your doc may be talking about something different if they are going to remove it.
Hi. Thanks for responding. She didn't mention a pain ball. Just that I would go home with a catheter for 10 days and then I would go in to have it removed.
Ugh it's all so scary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2021, 10:07 AM

Hi again,
It IS scary -- I was extremely anxious especially the week before my surgery, but I have to tell you that my doc is wonderful and I had a REALLY GREAT surgical team who were extremely supportive and reassuring! May I suggest that you call your doctor and get them to explain exactly what your procedure will entail with specifics about the catheter. It may help alleviate your anxiety and give you a better idea of what to expect.
Unread 03-05-2021, 10:10 AM

While you wait for input from someone who has experience to share, you may find the information in this article helpful: Going Home with a Catheter after Hysterectomy.

Best wishes to you for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 03-05-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentonisen View Post
Hi again,
It IS scary -- I was extremely anxious especially the week before my surgery, but I have to tell you that my doc is wonderful and I had a REALLY GREAT surgical team who were extremely supportive and reassuring! May I suggest that you call your doctor and get them to explain exactly what your procedure will entail with specifics about the catheter. It may help alleviate your anxiety and give you a better idea of what to expect.
Thank you so much. I will take your advice and contact my doctor for her to make it a bit more clear to me about everything.
Unread 03-10-2021, 03:17 PM

Hi Sedrick!
I had a TAH, so a different surgery than yours, but I was sent home with a catheter also to be removed one week later. Everyone's bodies and experiences are different, but personally it was just fine at first for me - maybe it was also the strong meds that I was on in the hospital (I stayed there for 2 nights), but I hardly felt it at all during this time and it didn't cause me any discomfort whatsoever. The nurses were also very helpful in giving my husband and I instructions on catheter care before I was discharged, like always washing hands before touching the bag/tubing, making sure not to place the bag on the floor without putting it on a clean towel/surface, how to wipe around the vaginal area where the tube was coming out of, etc. They also gave us some extra wipies to use, which was cool. Do feel free to ask them lots of questions & have them demonstrate how to do things, I found it gave me so much peace of mind!

When I got home I think that the hardest part was walking with the catheter and always making sure that the bag was lower than my bladder so that the pee kept draining properly, but was not touching the floor, even when I was getting back into bed (which was a challenge already by itself lol!). This was also my first surgery and my first catheter, so it made me nervous that any underwear would pull at the tubing and it would accidentally pop out - although they made sure to tape it securely to my leg of course, so I think this was mostly an unfounded fear (it also never popped out). But just to make myself more calm about it I opted to go "commando" until I had it taken out and I just wore really long, loose T-shirt dresses that came to my knees.

I do have to say though that on the 6th day it really started to hurt right where the tube was coming out (just externally) - we called the hospital and were told that this was fairly common, as the vaginal area is really not used to having a piece of plastic sticking out of it, and it was making it a little raw. I had some pink discharge by the tube as well, but we were told that this was okay, it was just being caused by the tube irritating the area, and it wouldn't do any real damage.

I hope you don't have any catheter-related pain, but if you do, do feel free to ask your doctor what they recommend for you to help with any discomfort. In my case, in terms of meds I was only taking extra strength Tylenol and Motrin after I got home, but I asked my doctor and was told to take half a dose of the Oxy that they gave me when I was discharged to ease the catheter pain, and it really worked wonders - it was like magic and the pain pretty much disappeared. (We also think it's funny that I only took the Oxy for the catheter and not for the pain from the actual surgery Xp!)

Taking the catheter out wasn't bad at all - when they actually took mine out they told me to breath out, and it happens quite quickly. I felt a pinch I would say. The only weird-feeling thing is before they took mine out they filled my bladder with saline so they could test to make sure I could pee the fluid out and my bladder was functional - this didn't hurt me at all though, it just felt really, really weird.

I did get a UTI after they took my catheter out though, so if you start feeling any new pain/something not quite right do make sure to contact your doctor just to be on the safe side (I was also told it was quite common to get a UTI from the catheter). We caught it really early though so I just took the antibiotics and I felt just fine after that. All in all, when in doubt ask your doctor, and I really hope that you have a very smooth and uneventful recovery & catheter experience! Sending good thoughts to you for your surgery <3! (LOL also very sorry that got kind of long!)
Unread 03-13-2021, 09:02 AM

I had a catheter in for a month after my surgery. It honestly wasn't that bad and was kind of nice not being woken in the middle of the night to pee. Like Cory1, I did get some pain around the tube and sometimes it would rub against the skin. I'd put some lube around it so it wouldn't chaff.

If you have a bag, just make sure you have somewhere you can hang it low so it drains. I had a loose pair of capri pants and I'd hook it on the pocket and walk around the apartment. I ended up camping out on the pull out couch the entire month because there was a low bar I could hang it on. Then I just made sure I slept on my back or one my left side since that was the leg it was attached to and ensured I wasn't laying on the tube. The trickiest part was showering. I'd set a full, large bottle of shampoo on the edge of the tub and hang it off that, but I had to be careful not to move too far away or risk knocking it over.
Unread 03-13-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurro07 View Post
I had a catheter in for a month after my surgery. It honestly wasn't that bad and was kind of nice not being woken in the middle of the night to pee. Like Cory1, I did get some pain around the tube and sometimes it would rub against the skin. I'd put some lube around it so it wouldn't chaff.

If you have a bag, just make sure you have somewhere you can hang it low so it drains. I had a loose pair of capri pants and I'd hook it on the pocket and walk around the apartment. I ended up camping out on the pull out couch the entire month because there was a low bar I could hang it on. Then I just made sure I slept on my back or one my left side since that was the leg it was attached to and ensured I wasn't laying on the tube. The trickiest part was showering. I'd set a full, large bottle of shampoo on the edge of the tub and hang it off that, but I had to be careful not to move too far away or risk knocking it over.
Thank you so much for the information. As the day's tick by I'm getting more anxious but the information everyone gives me helps a lot.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register