Scheduled dVH/RALH Hospital time after dVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital time after dVH Hospital time after dVH

Unread 01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Hospital time after dVH

I am scheduled to have dVH on 2-8-12. My gyno's nurse told me it would be a same day surgery. Could the be true? I have been reading many post on here and it seems like everyone is going home the NEXT day.
We live 4 hours away from my doctor and I'd rather be in the hospital too long than not long enough.

Has anyone gotten out the same day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Re: Hospital time after dVH

Same days is anything less than 24hrs and I believe it's from the time you get to your room. I was at the hospital for my da Vinci at 6am and went home at noon the next day. My surgery was about 5 hours due to a huge uterus (12lbs). So, that seems to be about right. Know they won't release you if you are not ready. You'll be surprised at how up to it you'll feel. You can call and make sure that they know you would prefer to stay overnight.
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:50 PM

I went in for surgery at 9:05am. I woke up in recovery at 11:15am, and was on my way home at 4:00pm. I begged my doc to let me stay, and he said no...that he wanted me out of the hospital before I got sick. They made sure that my pain was under control, I was holding down liquids and solids, and that I could pee. Wasn't too bad after all. Everyone is different. I asked the nurses when I was leaving if everyone that had da vinci surgery went home the same day, and she said yes...the majority of the time. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 08:52 PM

I am glad you asked this question as I was wondering the same thing. I was just scheduled Thursday for dVH on Feb1 and also was told day surgery. My surgery time isn't until 1:50 PM and I sure hope I don't go home that evening! I didn't get a chance to ask the Dr since we had already finished our consult when I got the surgery date/time from her surgical coordinator. I will plan on asking more about this when i go in for preop on 1/26.
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:13 PM

I had same day but was in the hospital for 22 hours. Like they said same day could mean less than 24 hours.
Hope all goes well for you.
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:43 PM

I would be surprised if they would send you home same day but seems like it happens sometimes. I'm wondering how you will manage the pain and the fact that you will not have the catheter in (so you would have to go to the bathroom by yourself so soon after surgery). Also you might get the shoulder pain and get scared (it is not life threatening but, boy, hurts a lot ). You should talk to your doctor. Also, while lurking on the internet, I encountered the story of Hannah on YouTube (look for Hannah's Hysterectomy) - she also went home same day and was not too happy. Good luck and keep us posted !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register