cervical dysplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cervical dysplasia cervical dysplasia

Unread 06-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Cervical Dysplasia

I have just recently went through a cone biopsy, it came back carcinoma-in-situ. A hysterectomy is scheduled for July. I did not experience much pain, but was performed as out patient. They say this is a virus, caught by multiple sex partners...this does not apply to me..I don't understand how I have gotten this. Is there anyone else wondering the same thing? Also my doctor says he won't know how the hysterectomy will be done TAH or TVH until he gets in there. Is this normal also? Did you also go in not knowing what you were going to wake up to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2003, 08:00 PM
cervical dysplasia

The main cause of cervical dysplasia and what is leads to is HPV. It does not have to be from multiple partners, just from one. Having more than one increases that risk. I was only with one person that gave it to me. It is so very common, it almost sounds that in this day and age if you DON'T have a strain of HPV you are unique! Only certain types lead to dysplasia, cancer, and the like, others cause warts and other symptoms (which I don't have, and my sister does). My mother even has HPV, so in that respect I know it is common. Of course, not all cases of dysplasia are caused by it, as to where they came from, I don't know, but I guess, why do cancer cells grow just about anywhere in the body?

I am going to have a TVH, my doctor said there is a small chance it won't be able to occur, but he doubts it. I have had two normal, vaginal deliveries without complications, and nothing done to me that would leave any significant scar tissue. Those are some of the factors that would lead to the TVH vs TAH decision. My ovaries are staying, that is another reason, and he doesn't see a reason to take lymph nodes, which I don't think they can do vaginally.

We are in the same boat diagnosis-wise, best of luck with your hyst!

Take care.
Unread 06-17-2003, 01:52 PM
cervical dysplasia

Valupak,

Queen Bee is right on. All it takes is one partner to get human papillomavirus (HPV), it is really common and the estimates of how many American men and women have HPV is constantly being revised upward (the latest I've seen in scientific journals is 70-90%). Don't feel badly about that at all, it is nothing to be ashamed of. Sorry I can't help out with the hyst. questions, but you should have your doctor clarify for you the steps made in his decision on TAH vs. TVH. It may set your mind at ease.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 05:50 PM
cervical dysplasia

I agree. All it takes is one. When I was diagnosed, I had been with my husband for 11 years. I had never had an abnormal pap before. This can be dormant for years.
Unread 06-18-2003, 08:54 AM
cervical dysplasia

From what I have heard, the majority of people have HPV. Due to that and the fact that it can remain dormant for many years, I think most people would not be sure where they caught it. My DH and I have been together for 30 years and I believe neither of us has had any other partners in that time. I know for sure I haven't but I guess there is a possibility that he has that I don't know about.

Anyway, 5 years ago was the first time I had any bad PAP result. When I had a colposcopy and endometrial biopsy at that time, they came back clear. 6 months ago I had another bad PAP and this time it turned out to be CINIII. I assume that I have HPV, and my gyn says, yes it can remain dormant for 30 years. This shows the importance of having regular PAPs even though we may not think we are at high risk.
Unread 06-18-2003, 09:43 PM
cervical dysplasia

I have the HPV virus too. It only takes one infected partner to infect you. The virus is very tiny and condoms are not very effective at reducing your risk of getting the virus. The virus is very common, an estimated 80% of all sexually active women over the age of 30 have been exposed to this virus at least once. Most women who test positive for abnormal paps have the virus. There are many forms of the virus. Your doctor should test you for the type you have. Some forms of the virus are absolutely linked to causing cervical cancer and are very invasive. Some forms just cause genital warts. You should know what type you have. This virus can lay dormant in your system for years. It becomes active when your immune system is being challenged. 15 years ago I was diagnosed with carsinoma insitu. A cone biopsy was preformed. Since then I have had many biopsys and positive paps. I have had several procedures to remove the atypical cells from my cervix. Since my initial diagnosis, I also was able to become pregnant and have a baby (who is now 11). My point here is that a hysterectomy may not be your only alternative if it is not what you want. I have survived quite nicely for 15 years with this virus without too many problems. Yes, I have had to have several procedures to correct the problems related to the virus, but they were minor compared to a hysterectomy. I have been very insistant about having pap smears every 4 months and I believe this is the reason why I have been able to keep on top of my problem. I will also say that for a number of years, almost 10, after my dd was born I suffered no reoccurances at all. I am now 5 weeks post opp for a TAH, cervix removed, but ovaries stayed. My Dr. actually wanted me to keep my cervix, but I decided to have it removed because I was tired of all of the procedures I had endured in the last two years. Don't get me wrong, I am SO happy to have had my hysterectomy, but I also had a miriad of other problems. If this is your only problem (not to say that it isn't a biggie) and your Dr. is wanting to perform a hysterectomy, you might want to get a second opinion. I would definately want to know what type of HPV you have and whether or not the Dr. was able to remove all of your carsinoma with your cone biopsy. I would also want to know how deep they found cancer cells. Your Dr. will know from the biopsy. They have many procedures to remove cervical cancers these days without having a hysterectomy. Maybe you already know the answers to these questions, but if not, it is something to mull over and possibly get a second opinion about if you are on the fence about having a hysterectomy.

There is something else you may need to consider that never occured to me until my dr. explained it: Just because you have a hysterectomy, and they remove your cervix, does not mean that you can stop worrying about this virus. The virus generally causes cancer on your cervix, however, it is also known to cause cancer of the vagina and anus. What this means is that the virus will continue to stay with you, it may become dormant again, or it may reactivate and cause you problems in a new location. For this reason, you should continue to get at least annual vaginal scrapes or paps and exams. Also, this virus will always be a part of you and you will always be able to pass it on to someone else, whether it is dorman or not. That was pretty heavy news to me, but I am glad I know it. I know this was long, I hope I have been of some help to you!

Good wishes to you, whatever you decide
Unread 06-19-2003, 06:55 AM
That was such an informative reply!

I hadn't realized that HPV was that common, or that damaging. I was diagnosed 4 years ago with it and had been married for 5 years by then...but was not very sexually active while I was divorced. I didn't even know there were different strains. Thanks again for the information!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register