Scheduled TAH Too soon to feel side effects of Lupron? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too soon to feel side effects of Lupron? Too soon to feel side effects of Lupron?

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Too soon to feel side effects of Lupron?

I had my first (1 month) injection of Lupron on Tuesday morning. Is it too soon for me to be feeling side effects? This was a drug I debated with myself over and over again, and I *really* didn't want to take it, but eventually the "If you can't tolerate it, then don't take the second shot" argument won in my house (I accepted input from my spouse and my doctor). I decided I'd suck it up and hope for the best and see how my body took it.

((I feel pretty lousy about not sticking to my guns on this one, though, because once it's in there, it's in there!))

Anyway - I've been feeling super fatigued since I got the injection, but I'm having trouble sleeping. I'm also constantly having to get up & pee (more so than before). My chest hurts a little (like inside, on the right side, almost crampy - but not in an overused muscle kind of way, hard to describe). My breasts feel really sore (no - there's absolutely no way I'm pg). I've had a constant won't-go-away headache that pounds behind my right eye, and my skin is REALLY itchy. Could this be typical or non-typical side effects? Is it a minor allergic reaction? (Is it possible to have a MINOR allergic reaction?) And nausea. Oh - and my knees ache like nobody's business. It HAS to be too soon for that to start, doesn't it?

Thanks in advance, sisters!

ETA: TAH is to remove cantaloupe-sized cervical fibroid / Lupron is only to try to reduce blood loss during surgery --- there's no real hope on the fibroid-shrinking front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Re: Too soon to feel side effects of Lupron?

My Knees & Hips hurting was the 1st Side Effect (SE) I had. I think that started for me at about 4 days. That actually went away after about 3 weeks.
I think all of your Symptoms could be SE.
My 1st month wasnt real bad. I did & still do have constant diarrhea. It took 2.5 weeks for my Period to stop after my 1st shot. (it was a 7 week period)
I have Blurry Vision, Groin Pain, Fatigue, Insomnia terrible hot flashes, Night sweats & Vaginal Atrophy.
My 3rd shot is due tomorrow. But I along with my Dr have decided to skip it...And hope my Hemoraging (or any bleeding for that matter) does not restart before my surgery in 3.5 weeks. I also used it to shrink my Fibroids. I think it shrunk them very well. My stomach is flatter then it was 2 months ago...Although that could be from my potty problem too ;o
My Worst SE started about 3 days after my 2nd Shot.
I hope it goes well for you...Some people it really is tolerable to use.
Unread 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM

We're not hopeful on the fibroid shrinking because it's so big and jammed in my cervix (and surgery is little more than a month away). Apparently it's not just rare (as cervical fibroids are so uncommon), it's also enormous (not by all fibroids standards, but in so much as the space it occupies is meant to only be about 4 cm - and it's the size of a cantaloupe).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2009, 01:33 PM

I noticed effects from about six hours after the injection. I got mine on day three of my usual heavy period and within ten hours had stopped bleeding. I'd normally have bled for at least four or five days more.

I also got hot flushes and night sweats from about three days in. I already have achy knees and take a good joint supplement for them, I haven't noticed them getting any worse.

The itchy skin is interesting as I'm more sensitive to too much sunlight and fly bites than before but hadn't really worked it out until reading your post, then had a lightbulb moment.

I guess my answer is that yes you could be feeling side effects but could some of them be anxiety issues as well due to your worry about having the shot?
Unread 06-18-2009, 03:52 PM

I had terrible side effects from just one Lupron injection. I began to experience severe headaches, fatigue, nausea, and loss of appetite . The interesting thing about it was that I was given the injection about a month and half before my TAH to stop the bleeding, which did not help at all! I also researched Lupron on the internet and found that majority of the women taking it reported similar side effects.

Sending you all a
Unread 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm new and hysterectomy should be scheduled for late August.

I had my first Lupron shot early this month and like a few of you experienced some joint pain (knees,hips) for a day or so. But really no other side effects.

It has helped my breathing tremendously- I no longer struggle to breathe as badly as before the shot.So THAT is a wonderful *side effect* for me. (Two fibroids that they found- one is 10 cm and another is 4.5 cm- the largest grew about 4.5 cm since last year's ultrasound- I'm going to be 50 next week).

TLynn- I'm sorry that you're having some issues (as some of the other sisters here). I hope you find some relief very soon. Sending you hugs...

I have to say, the women (sisters) on this site are the BEST! I'm so happy to have found all of you.
Unread 06-18-2009, 05:59 PM

Thanks Keeslady2. My TAH was on 5-19-09 (kept ovaries) and I feel MUCH better!!!! It's amazing how you come out of surgey feeling relieved from fibroids or other problems. May you all have positive outcomes as well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register