A serious question about orgasms! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A serious question about orgasms! A serious question about orgasms!

Unread 04-16-2002, 02:45 PM
A serious question about orgasms!

I have been reading on the post op board and read all sorts of things about woman that had hysterectomies not being able to have one since the operation or it being almost no-existant. Wow i cannot tell you how this terrified me! I had not even thought about how getting this surgery would affect my sex life! If anyone post op has any answers to this i would sure appreciate it. I have my hyst. next week now i am really freaked out! help!thanks to all for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:39 PM

Hi feather!
You will here reports of no difference and also the ones that say it is very different. From what I have read, it appears the ones that notice a difference are ones that had strong uterine contractions with their orgasms. I am one of those women.
I would say that orgasms still exist, but it is different....not worse, just different. I told myself that I would look at orgasm as a new experience and re learn how to listen to my body and enjoy the experience. This has worked for me and others too and I am still enjoying sex. I hope this helps some. All the best to you!
Unread 04-16-2002, 04:06 PM

Mine feel just the same.

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 04:08 PM

Mine are better than they were before, because I'm not in PAIN! Also, it's great not having to worry about blood anywhere. YUCK!

Sara
Unread 04-16-2002, 05:36 PM

I had my ovaries out. I use a patch. My orgasms feel just fine, thank you very much.
Unread 04-16-2002, 05:46 PM

Rain2Fall...I'm surprised to hear you say that, since you are barely four weeks post op! Hope you are being a good princess and not jumping back into sexual activity before your six weeks are up. With all the problems you've reported, you don't want to be adding other complications from sex too early.

Heather....
You will probably get as many different answers to this question as there are women! There is no clear answer, but you have a pretty good sample here. You may find no difference at all, or you may find it different but still good, or you may find it not as good at first. Or you may have some problems with your response. I think the stats on this (which are always pretty inaccurate to my mind) tell us that less than 30% of women have diminished sexual response post op. These stats DON'T tell us how long post op or other important details.

I think a key to a continued good sexual life is open communication, patience, humor, and a good dialogue with your partner and your doctor (tho probably not at the same time. )

Talk this over with your doctor, and remember not to jump to any conclusions based on other's experiences or even your own initial responses. Things change as you heal.

Please don't worry!!!

Karen
Unread 04-16-2002, 07:13 PM

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I was getting worried there for a bit! My hubby and i have been married for 10 years and our intimacy has always been so wonderful,when i told him that i'd read on some other posts that women were un-responsive to sex, he said oh no ! He was truly heartbroken to think i might lose that too. I got myself a good one gals. thanks to you all again, and wish me luck for my stay in the castle on 4-25 -02.
Unread 04-17-2002, 05:09 AM

Mine are the same. And intercourse is the limitation after a hysterectomy, not orgasms. I haven't seen a sister post yet that said they weren't allowed to have orgasms right after surgery.
Unread 04-17-2002, 05:31 AM
Read, read, read

Heather,

That was a big worry for my hubby and me, as well. We talked to the doctor about it and he said we would not suffer post-op. I know everyone is different and much of sexual response is emotional.

Read on the post-op boards. I can't tell you where, but I saw this topic discussed at length. There was one thread that I had to share with my hubby, as all the women were talking about their increased sex drive!! He loved that.

Keep a positive attitude and if you have a great sex life now, think how much better it can be when you are worryfree!

Nancy
Unread 04-17-2002, 08:35 AM

Hi Heather,
I understand your concern - my surgery (TAH/BSO) is May 10. Fear of losing my sex life was one of the reasons I put off making the decision for the surgery for over a year. I have a wonderful husband and we had a fantastic sex life until the endless periods and pain pretty much cut it to nothing. I am still worried about our sex life but I try not to focus on that. It seems that most of the women whose stories I read say their sex life is just as good or better after surgery. I agree that patience and communication is the key. Just try and focus on getting better. Once you have this out of the way and you feel better, everything should take care of itself.
Best of luck, lots of hugs, and I am thinking about you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register