Question about what to pack and taking Gas X | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about what to pack and taking Gas X Question about what to pack and taking Gas X

Unread 08-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Question about what to pack and taking Gas X

I'm getting my overnight bag planned for my 9/20 surgery.
I'm not exactly sure what to take, but this is what I plan to take..

- cell phone
- chapstick
- Gas X and stool softener
- 2 pair of underwear that are 2 sizes bigger
- my ipod touch (to listen to music while I wait for surgery)
- hairbrush, toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, travel deodorant, travel hand lotion
- a book

I'm going to wear a knee length, loose fitting sundress that I plan to wear home.

Should I bring a robe?
Anything else I should bring?
Is it stupid for me to bring a small bottle of water and a ginger ale? I'm not sure what I'll be allowed in the hospital and won't be able to ask questions until right before my surgery.

Now, I know the whole gas pain thing and plan to use both Gas X and a stool softener while in the hospital.

How soon after being back in my room after surgery should I start taking Gas X? Should I wait until I feel gas pain, or should I take it pretty soon after being settled back in my room? What about the stool softener?

I didn't want to go out buying this stuff if I won't need it, so I thought I'd ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Re: Question about what to pack and taking Gas X

I just had my daVinci on Friday. I took too much stuff. I used my cell phone, Ipod touch, lip stuff, hand lotion, a couple hard candies and that was about it. They had a toothbrush, toothpaste and lotion in the room. I took magazines but never took them out of my bag. The mesh undies that the hospital used were awesome. I even asked for extra to wear home so I didn't even need my undies I packed. I took a nightgown, robe and flip flops and didn't need them at all. I was allowed a regular diet after surgery so they brought me a lunch tray when I was ready to eat. You'll have a water pitcher in your room and they will bring you juice or whatever else you want. I did have a diet coke in my bag but only took a few sips of it. They even gave me a chapstick in recovery cuz I asked for something for my lips that were dry. My BEST thing at the hospital was my pillow pet. Best investment I made. It was a lifesaver at the hospital for getting comfortable and it has barely left my side for the past 5 days. I took Gas X to the hospital, but I didn't start using it and had to WAIT for them to get in touch with my doctor for them to GIVE me gas pills, which were the same as Gas X. If I had to do it again, I would've just taken the ones I brought with me. I had terrible gas pain almost as soon as I was out of recovery. It was way worse than any abdominal pain I had. I also asked them to bring me a heating pad, which was a 4+ hour affair, but definitely helped the gas in my shoulders. If you can't get a heating pad, have someone run hot water over a towel or wash cloth and lay in on your shoulder. I only used my hairbrush just prior to being discharged the next day. I also wore a sundress to the hospital and wore the same thing home. Best of luck to you!
Unread 08-31-2011, 04:59 PM

Thank you for replying.
I made a cute flowered cover for my heating pad. I'm going to bring it with me just in case I need it.
Thanks for letting me know about your experience with the gas pain, too.

I hope you feel super great really soon!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Hey there! Sounds like you have some good feedback already. I wanted to add that a lot of hospitals strongly discourage your bringing in your own medication, so definitely check with them in that respect. Most of the time they will already have a stool softener ordered for you after any surgical procedure. I'd also ask them what other medications they plan on giving you, and at that time you can make any requests if you have any. For example, I know I get pretty nauseated after anesthesia so I already asked my GYN to make sure I can get plenty of anti-nausea medication if I need it afterward.

Best of luck to you!!
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:04 AM

I was glad I had my iPhone. Not only did I get to listen to it during surgery (I have heard that listening to music/not hearing what the medical staff are saying during surgery can speed recovery. This is the fourth time I have taken headphones in the OR and it has never been a problem for anyone. And then I was able to use it to watch streaming movies of my choice when I was in my room and didn't want to watch bad TV (my castle had wifi--bless 'em). I brought way too many clothes, and only ended up needing the loose dress I wore to the hospital and a fresh pair of loose undies. They didn't give me the mesh undies folks have described here. And they will have water, ice, and soda at the hospital, so you don't need to bring anything like that. I was glad for my travel toiletries kit, though, with my own toothpaste, facial soap and lotion, razor, and lip balm. It made me feel more like myself again to use my own stuff when I was ready. The morning after surgery I joked that I must be feeling better because my vanity was back. The first day I didn't care what I looked like and was just trying to get through the pain and nausea, but the next morning I was ready for a shower. I shaved my legs, too, amazed I felt good enough to do that. Good luck!
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM

I also wanted to give you major props for already planning what to pack for your surgery!! I'm a chronic procrastinator . . . DH and I are leaving for the weekend tomorrow morning and I haven't even started thinking about what to pack yet! LOL!! Take care!
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Be sure to take a small travel pillow for holding over your tummy when you move, cough and for the trip home. Put it between your tummy & the seat belt.

As for the gas-ex and stool softeners, the hospital provided mine but I did take my own just in case. They told me I could take mine if theirs didn't help but DO NOT tell anyone they let me do it. lol

My cell phone was great for listening to music pre-op since I was so nervous and family kept bugging the crap out of me by coming in & out, in & out........ I was in pre-op for freaking 5 hours before they took me back, why, I still don't know. I think they got my time mixed up. I was told to be there at 8:30 am (written on my orders) but the doc wasn't scheduled to come in to do the surgery until roughly 1:30pm. So I was mad and nervous, plus I hadn't had anything to eat or drink since 9:30pm the night before. I was sooo hungry and thirsty. grrrr
Unread 09-01-2011, 04:45 PM

I would suggest panti liners for the ride home you might be spotting a little.
Unread 09-01-2011, 06:27 PM

I brought my toiletries, music, book. Hospital gave me any medication that I needed. I also brought a comfy loose dress which was great b/c once they removed catheter and IV the day after the surgery, I just wanted to get out of that hospital gown and bed, and walk around - which does wonders to relieve gas pains. Hospital also requested that I bring a pad in case of bleeding.

Good luck!
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM

I'm taking my toiletries, phone, itouch, lip balm, underwear, some hard candy and some chocolate for the nurses and of course, the charger for my phone and itouch. I'm debating on taking my robe, but I'm a plus size & very rairely get a robe that fits at the hospital. A bag and pellow combo, for a) sleeping and b) the trip home in a cab. I'm wearing a sundress to the hospital and the same one home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register