Do women w/Hyst live as long as others ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do women w/Hyst live as long as others ?? Do women w/Hyst live as long as others ??

Unread 10-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Do women w/Hyst live as long as others ??

I am just curious if there are any statistics on the this question:
Do women who have had hsterectomy live as long as those who do not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2004, 05:09 PM

Yup, we do. The abstract I've pasted below is from a study published in the National Library of Medicine (part of the National Institutes of Health):

This study evaluated the effect of hysterectomy or hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (hysterectomy and oophorectomy) versus alternative medical management on life expectancy, quality of life, and direct medical costs. Using techniques of decision analysis and available data on sequelae, it was found that gains in life expectancy and quality of life can be expected when women ages 30-60 undergo hysterectomy for benign neoplasm, disorders of menstruation, acquired abnormal anatomy, cervical disease, or endometriosis, owing primarily to prevention of reproductive tract cancers, which outweighs the impact of operative mortality. However, women who have relatively high operative risk or low expected cancer risks, beyond thresholds estimated in sensitivity analyses, suffer losses in life expectancy. Women younger than 35 not treated with replacement estrogens following hysterectomy and oophorectomy can expect net losses in life expectancy with surgical intervention due to increased risks of heart disease and osteoporosis.

==============

So, for most of us who have undergone hysterectomy, our life expectency and quality of life actually increases.
Unread 10-24-2004, 05:16 PM

Cool !!! another plus for having this Hysterectomy thanks so much for the info, it just hit me today for some odd reason - was wondering to myself if I had shortend my life expectency with this surgery - again thanks for the info !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register