Low iron causes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Low iron causes Low iron causes

Unread 12-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Low iron causes

All,

I just received a call from my doctor's office giving me the results of my iron test. It is currently at 8.6. Last month it was 9.7 and the month before 9.3. I am on Lupron to shrink my fibroids prior to surgery, and my bleeding has stopped completely, so I don't understand why my number is not coming up. I'm really scared about this because my doctor is concerned that there could be something else causing the anemia. Does anyone have a similar story to share, or can you give me any advice on how to handle this? I'm already taking iron supplements and eating high iron cereals. I'd appreciate any help that you can give me.

Many thanks.
Bonnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Low iron causes

When my dr put me on iron supplements due to anemia from blood loss, she told me to make sure I have some orange juice with it because the vitamin C is needed for the iron to be absorbed into your system. Didn't know if your dr mentioned this to you.

cjcj
Unread 12-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Low iron causes

I have also done some reading on this and have seen theories that eating iron rich food helps you absorb an iron supplement. I try to take my iron when I eat meat or iron rich veggies. It is my understanding that iron is hard to absorb in supplement form. Although you can't alway be sure the info you get on the internet is accurate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Low Iron Fright

I also had low red blood cell counts (6) and ended up in the hospital recieving 4 units of blood. Mine was due to severe blood loss over time with my hideous periods. The iron sup's I told my doc I was takeing...she just laughed at...and told me to go get 375 mg. tabs you can still get over the counter. I feel like a new woman after getting my refill. I'm on Lupron as well and while it worked for 2 weeks to stop my bleeding it restarted with a vengance and she put me on another medication which worked for a short time as well. I've now had my 2nd shot of Lupron and while the bleeding has slowed it has not stopped. My surg is scheduled for the 29th and I am just thrilled to have the surgery done! I have bled enough for 3 womans lifetimes and I just want my life back. I'm sure you can understand that frame of mind.
Make sure you are on a high dosage of iron, not the 3 mg. that I was on prior to my blood test. Best wishes to you and keep an eye on those numbers...The doc at the hospital told my friend my numbers were incompatible with life. (6) and (18) should be 12 to 14 and 39+.
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Low iron causes

I have never been able to up my red blood cell count satisfactorily because of my heavy periods. Now, after learning upon the event of my hysterectomy that I had a huge uterus full of fibroids I understand better that they were gobbling up all my reserves. After surgery my count dropped even lower (98 - that is in Canadian terms) . My doctor was very concerned and I have been very weak and lightheaded, shaky, etc. for the past 2 weeks or so (total LAVH on Nov.28). I have been on a prescription iron supplement for at least a year. Just the last two days I feel a bit of strength returning and am no longer lightheaded so I think the iron is finally able to kick in. I read an article on the internet that said that it would take 2 months on prescription iron (ferrous fumarate 300mg. is what I take) for things to return to a "normal " range, and that one should stay on it for 6 months to a year to replenish the reserves in the bone marrow. I found that helpful info. Being from the U.S. originally, and moving to Canada I still don't understand the Canadian terms for hemoglobin (red blood cell count). I was 107 at pre-op and 98 after surgery. Can anyone explain to me the normal, low, anemic ranges for this type of scale?

Lynn (Danton)
Unread 12-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Low iron causes

Hi Lynn,

I am still trying to learn the Canadian numbers too. I know my recent blood test at my six weeks check up was 14 and she said normal was 20. She recommended I take iron for six weeks and retest. I take Palafer CF which is at any pharmacy over the counter, but you have to ask for it- I think its for prenatal but it has vitamin C and folic acid- the C helps with absorbtion I think. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register