Dr pushing for Lupron before Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr pushing for Lupron before Hysterectomy Dr pushing for Lupron before Hysterectomy

Unread 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Dr pushing for Lupron before Hysterectomy

Hi Ladies!

Has anyone on here ever been on Lupton? I've read many stories on other sites about the horror of being on Lupron. I had a DvMyomectomy last year in August and had 5 out of 8 fibroids removed (the other 3 were not accessible so they were left in). I felt amazing after the surgery until the beginning of July this year. I have intense abdominal/pelvic pain, bloating (can't wear my dress pants to work so I wear leggings with long sweaters), pain during intercourse, and many other symptoms. I went to the OBGYN for this problem 3 weeks ago and the doctor did a Vaginal Ultrasound. The results came back that I now have 6 fibroids and a cyst. The doctor told me she wants to put me on Lupron. I declined that medication as I've heard horror stories both online and from a couple of ladies I know. She also suggested a hysterectomy (keep ovaries). I told her I would think of it. I have thought about it for almost 3 weeks now and am completely fine as long as it takes care of the problem and not have to worry about this in the future anymore. I went to go and see the surgeon who did my surgery last year to get things rolling. She is now going to do a vaginal ultrasound with a hyproscopic ultrasound as well. She also suggested the Lupron. What is with the Lupron? I've read that is doesn't take care of the situation it only slows the matter and when you come off of it (which they only recommend you be on it for a max of 6 months) the problem goes right back to what it was before you went on it. Not only that but being on the Lupron doesn't take any of the pain away. Has anyone else out there been on Lupron? Have any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Re: Dr pushing for Lupron before Hysterectomy

I haven't been on Lupron, but I can explain a bit. It is not necessarily true that Lupron does not take the pain away. After it causes you body to dump its estrogen, your fibroids are left without estrogen to feed them. That may cause them to shrink significantly allowing you to have less pain. Furthermore, if they shrink before your surgery, it will likely make surgery easier. Hope that helps a little.
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:32 PM

How would it help if they are going to have to take the entire uterus? I am still learning about all this. Any info helps me better understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2013, 09:44 PM

I also was offered Lupron, however refused it. My surgery is this Tuesday and I have waited since June. The reason I turned down the Lupron was that I too had read many horror stories and had a girlfriend who's sister has had ongoing issues since taking it. My doctor was only looking to reduce my fibroids and I would still need the surgery regardless, so I would rather not take the chance. I asked if their was any guarantee I would not have any long term side affects and she could not guarantee this. I am not judging anyone who has used Lupron and many people have been happy with it, I just chose not to take the chance.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Unread 11-16-2013, 09:52 PM

The fibroid enlarge the size of your uterus. When I had my first exam/ultrasound done, my uterus was about the size of a 25 week pregnancy. This was in September. I just had another exam on Friday, after 2 months of Lupton injections and it's now about the size of a 20 week pregnancy. From what I understand,and in my current experience, dodoctors put patients on Lupton before hysterectomy to try to shrink it to a safer size. The uterus has a lot of blood flow to it, and the larger it is, the more blood you're going to lose during surgery and all of the complications that go along with it.

I absolutely understand your hesitation on Lupron. After reading all the horror stories online about it, I was terrified of what would happen to me. I just had my 3rd shot. None of my side effects are unbearable. I'm not going to lie, some days are pretty miserable, but I just keep reminding myself it'll be worth it and to think of how much better I'll feel when this is all over.

Best of luck, whatever you decide, and keep us updated!
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:56 PM

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Dec 3. My doctor recommended getting a Lupron shot prior to surgery to shrink my fibroids and to build up my blood. I had the shot in November and I anticpated having terrible hot flashes and sleepless nights. Its now been about 1 month since I had the shot and I must say that it hasn't been that bad. I've been warm at times but no hot flashes or sweating. My greatest complaint was extreme fatigue by the end of every day for the first few weeks after the shot. I usually go to bed at about 11 pm but I was going to bed a at 7/8 pm and sleeping through the night. For someone who used to have a hard time sleeping that was a bonus not a hindrance lol. This week I've actually feel better than ever. I'm not as tired as I was before.

I wish you all the best!
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:17 AM

I refused lupron. It was suggested by two gyns to shrink the fibroids to avoid tah or avoid vertical incision. My uterus was so enlarged and elevated that the possible small percentage shrinkage wasn't going to be meaningful. My onc gyn who did my surgery agreed with my assessment. The thing that scared me about lupron, was not the potential menopause effects, but the unknown long term effects.
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Lupron Ladies

Hello ladies,
I am new to the forums in the last couple days.
Today I just made a decision to postpone partial hysterectomy scheduled for this week and start on Lupron to shrink my fibroids.
I'm at 20 weeks for size. (Until this week, I had no idea they measure them like a pregnancy)

I really want to have the laproscopic type of surgery because it's less invasive with quicker recovery.

But OB says with as big as they are now, laproscope is off the table for the moment......shrink 'em down and then surgery in the spring or summer.

I am becoming aware of the range of responses from you all about the drug and still feel it's worth a try.

I trust my OB 100%. I did get a second opinion and it was pretty much the same story.
My OB has promised to see me regularly to monitor side-effects of the shot and has ideas for HRT if symptoms are bad.

Your thoughts??
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:44 PM

I took Lupron to put me in a chemical menopause to see if it would help with my migraines. IT WAS WONDERFUL!!! I did not have a single migraine while talking the injections. But as soon as I went off of it my migraines came back in full force. I thought if this medication could make me fell better than I have in years to was worth it.
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Dr pushing for Lupron before Hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali63 View Post
I also was offered Lupron, however refused it. My surgery is this Tuesday and I have waited since June. The reason I turned down the Lupron was that I too had read many horror stories and had a girlfriend who's sister has had ongoing issues since taking it. My doctor was only looking to reduce my fibroids and I would still need the surgery regardless, so I would rather not take the chance. I asked if their was any guarantee I would not have any long term side affects and she could not guarantee this. I am not judging anyone who has used Lupron and many people have been happy with it, I just chose not to take the chance.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Good 🍀 Luck on your surgery today!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register