Upcoming hysterectomy 12/29: I'm trying to get a feel for post op recovery with no complications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/29: I'm trying to get a feel for post op recovery with no complications Upcoming hysterectomy 12/29: I'm trying to get a feel for post op recovery with no complications

Unread 12-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/29: I'm trying to get a feel for post op recovery with no complications

I'm new, so the acronyms are beyond me.

I'm scheduled for a vaginal assisted laproscopic surgery plus a TV TO sling.

I'm trying to get a feel for post op recovery with no complications. How long till you were up on your feet? Overnight or same day? How long til driving was comfortable?

Daily tasks? Like stairs, laundry, dishes? Can do or not?

ANY advice or stories or tips help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2015, 05:56 PM
Re: Recovery survey

How long till you were up on your feet?
Less than 10 hours, but I will say the first few days were a challenge to even get to the rest room.

Overnight or same day?
Overnight stay because I had a history of high triglycerides and I have been on the cusp of diabetes for about 15 years.

How long til driving was comfortable?
I drove once in my 4th week and did not drive again until my 5th week. Short trips were not comfortable until my 6th week.

Daily tasks? I waited until I got the go ahead from my doctor.
Like stairs: Could have pushed to doing a couple flights right away. I chose to only walk until my 3rd week.
laundry? I did one load late in the 3rd week and slept the next day.
dishes? I started doing them after I came off the narcotics.
Can do or not? Avoid anything that involves pushing (vacuuming) or lifting (putting away dishes) of more that 10 pounds until you get the go ahead from the doctor. Then do them for less than a couple minutes at a time. The first time I vacuumed it took me 3 hours to what I used to do in 20 minutes.

Have a list of things that friends can do made before the surgery. Have someone act as convalescing advocate, if you can. Give the list to them.

Post surgery it also good to have someone who will pay attention to the medical details around for you.

Give yourself permission to heal. Which means sometimes letting things go because you have to rest.
Unread 12-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/29: I'm trying to get a feel for post op recovery with no complications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealjoy View Post

I'm trying to get a feel for post op recovery with no complications. How long till you were up on your feet? Overnight or same day? How long til driving was comfortable?

The acronyms are confusing at first. You are having a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy, so LAVH. I had the same 8 days ago. I spent one night in the hospital. Surgery at 7:30am, they took out my catheter and got me up to walk around 9 the next morning. My doctor said no driving for two weeks. I haven't tried stairs and have no intentions of cleaning for several weeks. I would think light dishes are ok at the sink but wouldn't recommend bending to do things in the bottom of the dishwasher. Laundry depends on how much bending you would need to do and how heavy the wet clothes may be when loading the dryer. I know a lot women are doing some laundry and dishes. I'm "letting" my husband and kids do all cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Re: Recovery survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealjoy View Post

I was up walking around about 6 hrs after getting to my room. Once I figured out how to get up, I walked around quite comfortably.

I had tah and was required to stay overnight, but honestly felt good enough to go home

I was allowed to drive at one week, I wasn't taking any narcotics. I did and was fine.

I did stairs from day one, dr said it was fine as long as I held handrails. The day after arriving home I went to the supermarket with my husband,walked all around and we cooked dinner together that night. I wasn't supposed to carry the laundry basket down the stairs, but my husband put it down when he went to work and I could do the rest. I felt great, my dr said I should walk a lot, which I did. I went on lots of short outings the first week and after I could drive, I was pretty much back to a normal life, minus restricted activities (heavy lifting/exertion, swimming/bathing, sex. My advice is that walking a lot helps with all kinds of things, and helps you not to lose so much stamina that you are exhausted all of the time. I think that it is part of the reason that my recovery went so smoothly. Basically, if I wanted to do it and it wasn't restricted, I would try it. If it hurt I stopped. I was feeling great and back to work at 3 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register