My first post. Please help ease my fears about bleeding and clots | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My first post. Please help ease my fears about bleeding and clots My first post. Please help ease my fears about bleeding and clots

Unread 11-28-2021, 08:39 PM
My first post. Please help ease my fears about bleeding and clots

I had a laparascopic hysterectomy 2 1/2 weeks ago. I've had very light pinkish discharge on occasion, but not much. Today I started bleeding bright red. Not much pain, just a bit more pressure /swelling. My doctor said not to worry unless it soaks a pad every hour for a few hours, or doesn't stop within a few days. I'm so nervous. I keep having moments of panic where I think something is really wrong. Last week I thought I was having a heart attack and had a panic attack (first ever). I've also been super scared of blood clots. Anyway, I'm trying really hard to stay calm, but any help, advice, or prayers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2021, 09:57 PM
Re: My first post. Please help ease my fears

Hi Taralyn! I am almost 6 weeks post op and I also had spotting issues. I have been told the exact same thing about filling a pad an hour, etc. I noticed the spotting increased a bit as I did more. Especially if I sat up for too long. Did you do more recently than you have been? You are still early in the recovery process, so rest as much as possible. I have read numerous posts about spotting and all seems pretty normal unless it increases as your doctor described. Have you checked out the Checkpoints and read through posts for your surgery timeframe? I found those extremely helpful since everyone was around the exact recovery time and experiencing much of the same. I have encountered some weird stuff during my recovery, but I have learned worry only makes it worse. Allow your body to relax and be good to yourself…lots of lazy days. If things get worse definitely call your doctor and if you are still worried get an appointment to be seen. That way you will have some answers and hopefully peace of mind. Praying for you now!
Unread 11-28-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbonds View Post
Hi Taralyn! I am almost 6 weeks post op and I also had spotting issues. I have been told the exact same thing about filling a pad an hour, etc. I noticed the spotting increased a bit as I did more. Especially if I sat up for too long. Did you do more recently than you have been? You are still early in the recovery process, so rest as much as possible. I have read numerous posts about spotting and all seems pretty normal unless it increases as your doctor described. Have you checked out the Checkpoints and read through posts for your surgery timeframe? I found those extremely helpful since everyone was around the exact recovery time and experiencing much of the same. I have encountered some weird stuff during my recovery, but I have learned worry only makes it worse. Allow your body to relax and be good to yourself…lots of lazy days. If things get worse definitely call your doctor and if you are still worried get an appointment to be seen. That way you will have some answers and hopefully peace of mind. Praying for you now!
Thank you SO much!!! This so very helpful and very much appreciated! Where do I find Checkpoints and posts from my surgery time frame? I just joined and made a post right away (trying to get support before I started to panic again).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taralyn S. View Post
Thank you SO much!!! This so very helpful and very much appreciated! Where do I find Checkpoints and posts from my surgery time frame? I just joined and made a post right away (trying to get support before I started to panic again).
You can go to the menu button (at the top right corner of your screen) and locate your Post Op Recovery Reports Under Forums and find the post with the date range for your surgery. The Checkpoints under the Articles. There are other very helpful articles there too. I know reading them has really helped me not panic and helped me remember I am not alone in this.
Unread 11-29-2021, 05:44 AM
Re: My first post. Please help ease my fears about bleeding and clots

and

Your doctor is on the money about filling a pad in an hour. That would be an emergency, but otherwise discharge, spotting and bleeding can come and go - and change - throughout these initial weeks. Our two best guides are:Yes, clots can happen, but adding stress to yourself is not helping your healing. The best thing you can do for yourself is to make sure you get some movement in daily (ie. don't sentence yourself to bed because of fear) and know the Blood Clot Symptoms and Prevention Tips. Also know the situations When You Should Call Your Doctor After a Hysterectomy. It's okay to be aware, but don't let it consume you. Find something relaxing to do in all this down time and nurture your inner self - new hobby, organizing all those smart phone photos, binge watching a series, whatever it takes to refocus your thoughts.

I think too that knowing what to expect can help with your anxiety. These are some of the resources Dbonds mentioned which we share with our new members:Your Recovery Thread is a dedicated discussion group for women who had surgery the same week as you. You can find it at Recovery Progress Reports for Nov 08-14. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company. I'm guiding that particular thread, and we'd love to have you join us!

I've given you a lot of links - I'm risking "link overload" but I truly believe understanding recovery is so helpful in meeting our fears.

Unread 11-29-2021, 06:38 AM

Here are a few things I do to manage my own anxiety, and to curtail an anxiety or panic attack: deep breathing exercises, including yoga classes twice a week, to give myself the sense of being in control of my body and its reactions; a brisk walk, to burn off all the stress hormones that my body is producing during an attack; knitting for charity, because I find the repetitive movement meditative and soothing, and knowing that I'm helping others takes my focus off whatever is going on in my life; connecting with others, like through these forums, to remind myself that I'm not alone. To prevent blood clots, in addition to the suggestions in the above article, you can ask your doctor about taking a low dose aspirin. Wishing you all the best for continued health and healing!
Unread 11-29-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbonds View Post
You can go to the menu button (at the top right corner of your screen) and locate your Post Op Recovery Reports Under Forums and find the post with the date range for your surgery. The Checkpoints under the Articles. There are other very helpful articles there too. I know reading them has really helped me not panic and helped me remember I am not alone in this.
Thank you so much!
Unread 11-29-2021, 09:11 PM

]
Thank you so much! I've checked out all of the links and I'm feeling less anxious!
Unread 11-30-2021, 05:21 AM

Hi Taralyn S.,
My hysterectomy was exactly one year ago today. Like you, after several days with no concerning bleeding, suddenly I began to bleed. in my case it was A LOT. I completely soaked a pad, went to the bathroom and passed a large clot, then filled another pad less than an hour later.
My husband took me to the emergency room and I was given clotting medication (ironic given that I'd been injecting anti-coagulants for 10 days after the operation !) They admitted me overnight to check me out.
Turns out it was a hematoma. Basically, built-up blood at the top of the vaginal vault which just decided to come out in a big rush. It's not uncommon and not a problem (although it was right to go to hospital/see a doctor). After that, recovery went pretty well and I've had no real issues.
Onward and upward!
Best wishes,
TiaS
Unread 11-30-2021, 01:34 PM

I start to bleed every time I move too much and I've had some clots. I'm 2 weeks and 2 days. I had a pelvic last week to check stitches. All looked good. Mine was completely vaginal and she said if I move too much a stitch can loosen and bleed but with rest it'll stop on its own. The clots I was told is typically the blood sitting in the vagina a long time while laying down and having time to coagulate. Unless they keep coming or you fill a pad an hour try not to worry and take it easy. And honestly they're right. Every time I relax the bleeding stops again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register