Race for the Cure :) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Race for the Cure :) Race for the Cure :)

Unread 10-04-2001, 07:21 AM
Race for the Cure :)

Hi all,

I wanted to let you all know I'm participating in the Race for the Cure this upcoming weekend here in Denver.

I'm participating both in memory of my mother and aunt, who passed away from breast cancer in 1979/78 respectively but also for my particular type of ovarian cancer which is the type linked to breast cancer.

If you have any friends or loved ones participating or would like to assist me in continuing to raise funds for this wonderful research, I've included the link for online pledges (hope this doesn't offend anyone).

https://www.doitsports.com/donations/donate.tcl?id=8826

Thanks and wish me and all participants luck!

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2001, 08:44 AM

((((Vicki))))))
What a wonderful woman you are!!
Your mom and aunt ( and your dad of course too) will be watching over you on race day as they are everyday.

It was a beautiful day here last weekend when the race was held here, and I hope you have good walking/running weather as well in Denver!

I am sure you will all be tired afterwards but its that good kind of tired feeling for sure.

Best of Luck and big hugs dear friend!
Unread 10-04-2001, 09:02 AM

That is wonderful that you are going to participate in the race! I hope that the weather is lovely and you feel closeness with everyone there! I'm sure you will! Thanks for passing on the info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2001, 01:27 PM

You go Miss Vicki !!!! Isn't it great that you can now turn all the horrible cancer around and do something good for it. You should be proud of yourself. Have a good and when you get home get some Much love always to you
Unread 10-04-2001, 04:32 PM

You go Vicki!!!! It sure does make one feel good to get out there and actually
do something physical for a cause. I did the Whisper Walk last weekend
and really enjoyed it. I've been invited to do the five mile breast cancer
walk in Phila on Oct 14th. My son's girlfriend, who walked with me, has a
granny fighting breast cancer. Hence the invite. However, it is only four days
after what hopefully will be my last chemo. It usually takes me a good five
days to feel completely like myself again. So I doubt I'll make it. I did find
out doing the Whisper Walk, if you are surrounded with good company
exercise is great fun. Let us know how you do. oxoxoxoxkarenann
Unread 10-05-2001, 07:48 AM
Vicki-

Wish I was there in Colorado with you! Last year, I flew to Oklahoma, got my sister and we got in her car and drove to Denver where my niece lives and the 3 of us participated in the race in memory of my Mom, Aunt, and Mother-in-law - all who died from breast cancer.

It was one of the best things I've ever done - so emotional but fulfilling! Couldn't imagine all the people there - just tremendous!Were you there last year Vicki? We had hoped to do it again this year but I certainly couldn't and since we were all in Denver in July when my niece got married, none of us could really afford it this year but we are aiming for next year!

Good luck!!
Jane Elizabeth
TAH BSO 9-21-01
Unread 10-08-2001, 06:28 AM

Hi gals,

I wanted to update you all on how the Race went. It was AWESOME!!!!

The weather was absolutely perfect. Just a slight nip to the air, making it very comfortable weather to walk in. Although, I started out the day somehow or another twisting my ankle.

I signed up for the 1K family walk scheduled to start at 8:15 am, I just wasn't sure how I would handle a longer distance. Wellllllll.......

It took sooooo long to get to work, they had ALL access roads blocked off and I had to sweet talk my way past a policeman to get to work (which is only 2 blocks from the starting line).

I finally got through, parked at work, made my way over to the start line only to find that the registration was on the OTHER side of the road! Off I went, was pointed to the WRONG registration booth, off to the right one, then to another to turn in my pledges, then yet another to get my shirt. I finally finished and made my way back up to the start area just in time to start the 9:00 co-ed "5K" race! ACK!

Well!! I went ahead and participated in the longer race, I figured I could go as far as I could manage. I made it as far as four blocks from the finish before both my ankle and my bladder started screaming.

What was absolutely awesome to see was the sheer number of people participating. On the news this morning they announced they had had a record number of people - over 54,000 people!!! WOW!!!

I felt so honored to be a part of it and really even with that many people, it was such a "upbeat" atmosphere.

Okay, so I've written yet another novel, I wanted to share it with all of you.

Thanks for all your well wishes!!!

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 10-08-2001, 06:32 AM

Jane,

No, I wasn't able to participate in this last year. I was in the process of getting the pleural effusion taken care of and beginning my second round of chemo.

I think however, this is definately something I plan on doing each year from now on in addition to the Whisper Walk (at least they had BETTER have it next year).

Although, I must say, I don't think I'll plan on working AFTER next time. I was tooo dang tired to think after that.

Hope to see you next year!

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 10-08-2001, 07:59 AM

Vicki!!
You go girl!!!
Wow...5K, good for you. You must have been really tired after that one. But at the same time I bet you felt so good.

What a wonderful thing to do, and to think the numbers....54,000. Thats so great!!

For today I hope you are able to put your sore ankle up and relax for awhile. Was your ankle twisted before you even began to walk??? I got that impression from you post. If it was, that was true dedication to the cause on your part girl to do the walk even with twisiting it.!!

Ya done good!!
Again Congrats
Love and Hugs,
xoxo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register