Fibroids - can you have them and NOT bleed badly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids - can you have them and NOT bleed badly? Fibroids - can you have them and NOT bleed badly?

Unread 05-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Fibroids - can you have them and NOT bleed badly?

I am confirmed as having endometriosis and I'm scheduled for a laparoscopic endo clean up on 23rd June with possible SAH/BSO depending on what they find.

My question is can you have fibroids and not bleed excessively?

I ask as I have a constant 'heavy' feeling as if carrying something round in my abdomen, pelvic pain that spreads up to my ribs and restricts my breathing, increasing bowel issues, pee'ing is becoming interesting as some days I feel I need to go all the time and others it's just every 1.5hrs or so. Much of this has got worse since my lupron injection. I found one site that said if fibroids get big enough to not be able to maintain a blood supply and subsequently 'die off' then the pain and heavy feeling is worse for a few weeks. Could the lupron be causing fibroid 'die off' and thus the worsening of symptoms?

If I read the sites for symptoms of fibroids I have every single one except excessive bleeding, I only use 3-4 super pads per 24hrs for three days and then lighter ones for three days, my periods haven't been excessive like many of the ladies on here describe.

On palpation my gynaecologist also said she couldn't feel any obvious fibroids.

The finding of them though is what may dictate whether she goes to an SAH and then possible BSO on the 23rd or whether she just does an endo clean up.

Part of me thinks I can't have any as I don't bleed heavy and the gyn can't feel any and part of me feels all the other symptoms are there so they could well be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Re: Fibroids - can you have them and NOT bleed badly?

Absolutely you can have fibroids and not have excessive bleeding. No one even knew I had fibroids - my GYN didn't feel them, my Urogynecologist didn't feel them and my primary care doctor didn't feel them and since I didn't have excessive bleeding I think they didn't go any further into looking for them. I had a lot of heaviness in the pelvic region too. When my surgeon did my hysterectomy VOILA! my uterus was FULL of fibroids and at least one was baseball size. She admitted later she was really surprised by it. So- I'm proof that it's definitely possible.
Unread 05-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Submucosal fibroids, the kind inside the uterine cavity, are usually the kind that produce heavy bleeding. Subserosal fibroids, the kind inside the uterine wall, primarily cause bulk symptoms -- i.e., large stomach, crowding other organs, bladder pressure, and the other things you describe -- but generally do not cause heavy bleeding.

I have had fibroids for eight years, the largest is grapefruit sized, but I have many many smaller ones. They are all subserosal. My uterus is 24 week pregnancy size. All my symptoms are bulk symptoms. I have never had heavy periods. The worst day of my period might mean changing my pad three times over the course of the entire day. My gyn told me that in all likelihood, I never would have had heavier periods, at least not because of the fibroids, anyway.

So, the answer is yes, it's entirely possible to not have heavy periods because of your fibroids, depending on what kind they are.

Josie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2009, 01:20 AM

Thank you so much for replying and reassuring me that I'm not mad for thinking there may be something else other than endo going on.

It's interesting about the different types as well and that fibroids may be missed on palpation and general internals.

Makes me wonder exactly what they will find when they go in on the 23rd
Unread 05-31-2009, 01:14 PM

Does anyone know why some months are heavy and others are not?
I don't remember what kind of fibroids I have but thought it was odd (thankfully though) not to bleed heavy every month.
Unread 06-11-2009, 06:11 AM

My second opinion Gyn that the Universe saw fit to give me is who we've opted to go with for my surgery. She wasn't keen to go in blind so I had an ultrasound this morning.

Thank goodness for the ultrasound as it showed that my uterus isn't stuck to my bowel or anything horrid which makes for a more straightforward hyst than we thought we were facing

The interesting thing is that my uterus looks completely clear of fibroids internally but she found a 5cm one hanging off the outside of it and right in the spot where I have all my discomfort and the constant pain. Given there's one that size I suspect there may be others. I have been on Lupron for six weeks now and wonder what on earth size it was before I started!

She had difficulty finding my right ovary but said this isn't uncommon when doing ultrasound. It was incredibly painful when she was moving the scope around and palpating the abdomen from outside as well looking for it. She was as gentle as she could be and kept saying sorry every time I winced, bless her.

She did find it eventually and frowned a bit and said we may have to take it out but it depends on why it's where it is (adhesions issues etc).

The really great news is that with the fibroids showing up it seems the endometriosis may not be as big a factor in the pain issue as we thought. The pain may be predominantly due to adenomyosis and fibroids. Depending on what she finds inside in the 23rd June she may leave me my left ovary. If there's no or really minimal endometriosis she'll remove the uterus, fibroids and (potentially) yucky right ovary but leave me the left one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register