Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 - Page 185 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

Unread 08-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

I too had a busy day yesterday! We live in MI, but are Boston Red Sox fans and they were playing in Chicago. Decided to "spur of the moment" drive over and see the game. It's only about 90 miles away, but traffic is always a nightmare. Took my Motrin with, and was armed with plenty of water. We parked right next to the stadium, so I didn't have to hike too far. Did a little shopping on the "Magnificent Mile" and watched the game. Stopped by the zoo on our way out of town. Was amazed that I wasn't aching and kept saying what a great day this is!
Then, we hit major traffic jam. They had to close the major interstate becasue of flooding. We were stuck on the highway, moved 2 miles in three hours! Had hot flashes, but we weren't sure when we could get off for gas, so had to conserve the air! Didn't get home until 1:30 in the morning! First night I have not needed a sleeping pill though!
Today my hips ache and I have a very swelly belly. All in all, not too bad, but the pain in my hips make it had to sit or lay down. Had that really bad before surgery and was told it was nothing. Sure doesn't feel like nothing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Wanted to add something...If any of you ladies are experiencing shortness of breath AND pain under your breasts or back especially when you breath, get to your doctor ASAP. Call MD first thing tomarrow morning or if the pain gets worse today, go to ER.
Unfortunately, when we ladies are resting and recuping and not moving around due to the pain, we are at risk for developing blood clots..anywhere in the body but especially the legs and lungs. Not trying to scare anyone, but it is a risk and should have been discussed with you during pre-op. Hopefully, what you are experiencing is nothing serious, but it must be checked out.
Endo can get left behind. If you still have your ovaries, the endo can still feed off the estrogen and grow. My doc told me this..as he said he could "miss" some during the surgery and the HRT could cause the endo to grow so didn't want to put me on an HRT unless necessary. Due to the severe hot flashes and ongoing migraines..I went on the HRT. I'll deal with any endo later..I couldn't go another day with migraines so bad I couldn't think straight and honestly I couldn't return to work and strip off my clothes due to a hot flash. I take a multivitamen..one with folic acid, potassium and calcium included as since surgery I have had an increase in "restless leg syndrome", which had gotten much better a couple of years ago so I came off my med for it. The multivitamen seems to help. There are over the counter sleep aids..non addictive..if you need a little something to help you rest. But check with your doctor as some meds may be counteractive with it. You can't heal properly if you are getting any rest.Mentally you are exhausted and it affects you physically as well.
Unread 08-26-2007, 02:23 PM
pain/chest area

I often since surgery get pain in the upper left chest area/breast area, esp. if I walk a lot of laps. I have tried before breakfast, after breakfast, when it's hot and cool outside and it doesn't seem to make a big difference.... it just depends on the day. I don't get short of breath, but I definitely didn't have these pains before. I don't worry about clots, bec. I know I am moving a lot. However, it is very irksome. I know the doc will have no clue about what to do and I will mention it, but it's 'nice' (not really nice) to know that others have pains in that area that weren't there before. Since I don't have the shortness of breath, I tell myself it's not truly heart related. I also did some research on the internet about pain in that 'quadrant' and discovered that it can be common....esp. in stressful situations/ etc. and that often a ton of tests show no rationale behind it. Thus, I tell myself that after the stress of surgery/anesthesia, etc. on my body, perhaps that is why it comes and goes. And now that I think of it, I didn't feel pain in that area traipsing around the fair all day yesterday, but that doesn't mean I won't feel it today if I do laps (and I'm NOT going to do ANY laps today. I am being a sloth)..............

So, I just wanted to add my input on it. Definitely if there is shortness of breath, the radiating pain/etc. heart attack symptoms I totally agree w/Rayne to contact medical assistance asap bec. it could be a clot/heart attack situation!! But for me..............nope, I don't think it is after these weeks of convalescing and it being so annoying.

Hope you are all continuing to heal............E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2007, 03:02 PM

EEEKKK!!! Thanks for all the info.. I will keep an eye on my pain, its gone now, but it lasted a few hours last night. Took all I could find within those 2 hours, gas x, Tums, baking soda and water, MOM, suppository. I read if it was trapped gas having a bowel movement may help, took a few hours and it seem to help after I did have a movement. I am stressed out, tense, causes me problems most of my 40's and now at 51, having a teenage DD and my job from home is commission only.... that can keep anyone stressed out. I find it hard to even watch the news with out getting stressed, I take on too much in my mind and worry about EVERYTHING! I do take antivan for stress at night to help me sleep, I should take in the afternoon too. OH typing this post about stress has caused me stress!! UGH! I have a pain now, sharp like a short kick under breast, I am sure its stress related, I bought some sleepytime tea to drink a few times throughout the day and had one here and just SPILT it all over the floor, I cant win! STRESS!!! Thanks sisters!!
Unread 08-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Dear Sisters, my heart goes out to all who are still having trouble with pain, shortness of breath and other symptoms. I seem to have had a "textbook" hysterectomy (TAH/BSO, age 56). At just over 6 weeks I seldom have pain and, though still a little tired, life is manageable. I'm post-menopause, too, so I don't have all the struggles with isomnia, hot flashes, memory loss, etc. I go back to work part-time on Wednesday and may change my tune then, but for now I feel pretty darn good. I'm managing half-hour walks every day, can do all my own housework (darn!) and am sleeping well. I guess those of you who have having difficult recoveries don't need to hear this, but on the other hand you need to know that you will get through this and will be stronger and healthier people. Good luck!
Unread 08-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Misc

Glad it's going good for you, Bopper! I'm 55 myself and the memory stuff has been weird, plus my lack of interest in things that were 'me' in the past. I just walked about 2.5 miles to a store w/Dgd and that pesky knot on my right upper rib cage was bugging me again. Don't know what it is, but it bugs the heck out of me. I have been drinking a lot of water today and maybe being too 'full' in there contributes to pressure. I went to the bathroom before departing and had to go again about a half hour later and culdn't wait to get home!!!

I bought a couple of hundred name tags for students tomorrow as I try to learn the new 94 names.

A good evening to you all and continue on your paths of recovery.........unique as they all are! Tomorrow it's 7 weeks for me since I went to the castle. Time flies. It's been the strangest summer ever...probably I figure because it's the first summer when I myself did not get to control my destiny. My body/surgery/OB determined how the summer played out.

E
Unread 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM

Ok ladies, I want to know.. just what is it about a certain age we get where the HRT is no longer needed? Does the body need to "prepare" for no hormone? I am confused!! I know a few ladies who are still on the HRT patches over 70 years old!? SO I am not sure what is up with that, one is a retired nurse.. any ideas why at 70+ year old would want to be on HRT still??
Unread 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM

good afternoon ladies, finally a beautiful day. my kids came over today and we did alot of eating and drinking beer. I'm finding now that i'm forgetting all about the surgery except for the lower back paiin every now and then. Ele. you really had a very busy day yesterday. Your Dr. is gonna think you are nutso. ha ha. As long as you had a good time thats all that really matters. Tomorrow i go back to work full time but still on light duty nothing over 20lbs until sept. 10th. The school kids start back wednesday. So we need to get in all the big deliveries in tomorrow. I myself will be checking off all the deliveries since the Dr. said for me to not lift the 30-40lb boxes. I'm really not looking forward to going back full time but the money will come in handy again. We do know xmas is only 4 months away. ugh. talk more later, everyone keep healing.
Unread 08-26-2007, 05:52 PM

We took our daughter back to school this weekend. I had bad pains on my left side. I had to take a motrin during the night. Maybe it was from sitting too long in the car. It was a 6 hr. trip and we did stop. I don't know what it was. I still get a little dull pain like right now it just started again. I haven't had this at all until now. Anyone else just getting these pains after 5-6 weeks? I don't think I overdid it. I made sure I didn't carry anything heavy when moving our daughter into her apartment. I did lift the mattress to change her sheets and put the bed skirt on. I hope I didn't hurt anything.
Unread 08-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Yes, debbiefej, i still get pain. In fact, I have a little knotty/needly pain right now while i'm sitting here. And in the car when I pull that seatbelt across and drive, and when i walk SOMEtimes....and at times when i least expect it. I couldn't go six hr. in a car without getting out and moving a bit, so that might have made it harder for you yesterday. I tried iboprophen two nites last week to see if i could sleep better........it helped a tad. Lifting a mattress....hmmmm.....if it's just the ends no biggie probably but if more than a little end to slip the sheet over.........I know what you mean about worrying about lifting things. I dragged a clothes basket today from one room to the next and the garbage and recycling..........supposedly at six weeks I was good to go. LOL. I see my doc Fri..........we shall see.

A good evening to you! Take care. I am VERY VERY nervous about school tomorrow. I teach one class 8:30 to 10:20 and then don't have the other class until 3-4:15. And chaos in between. I always call the first week of classes 'crazy week'..........there is lots of sorting w/students to do and they can drop add all they want thru Saturday. Later...........rest well tonite ladies. I will definitely remember it's my 7th week anniversary tomorrow and yep, I still get knots and pins. E

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register