Laparoscopic Vaginal Hysterectomy Gone Bad | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Vaginal Hysterectomy  Gone Bad Laparoscopic Vaginal Hysterectomy Gone Bad

Unread 07-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Laparoscopic Vaginal Hysterectomy Gone Bad

Hi my name is Shelly and I am new to this site but really needed some support of my own. I by any means do not want to scare anyone but this is my story.

I apologize if I do not know all the acronyms yet and the fact the story is long.

I went in for a D&C on 5/23/08 and discovered I had endometriosis, cysts on my ovaries. My obgyn said the next step would be to have a laproscopic hysterectomy through the vagina.

On 6/10/08 I went in for the laproscopic hysterectomy and was released from the hospital on 6/11/08 under the impression that all went well.

Late in the evening on 6/12/08 I began to feel extreme discomfort and honestly thought i was just experiencing gas from the procedure and needed to have a bowel movement (I did not have one prior to discharge on 6/11/08).

By 3:00 AM on 6/13/08 I awoke to extreme pain, vomiting, uncontrollable spasms in my stomach, cold sweats, etc. and had my family drive me to the ER.

By the time I reached the ER my Blood Pressure was 70/40 and I was coding on the table not to mention writhing in severe pain but they could not give me anything until they got my blood pressure up so I had IV's going in all over my body. They paged my OBGYN and his EXACT WORDS upon arrival were that he had found out two days prior the date of my discharge from the pathology reports that he had inadvertently cut my colon. He said he was GOING to call me and even went to his computer to retrieve my phone number but conferred with two collegeaues instead. He never called me, apparently one of them said perhaps the cut is small enough it would heal itself so he never notified me of the danger and gambled with my life.

For two days I had poisionous bile running into my system and went into septic shock, the OBGYN apologized for his error and excused himself from my case and called in a surgeon to correct what he had botched up. I awoke with heart monitors, tubes up my nose, IV's throughout my body and had been split from navel to bone. I was in the hospital for the next twelve days and the first six days I was in critical care (it could have went either way). I was lucky I did not die. My former OBGN did come in daily to apologize but that is not covering any of these expenses and I try to have a forgiving heart but now I am angry.

Now on top of all this on 6/20/08 while still in the hospital I began experiencing tremendous paiin along my right side that they ran tests on and attributed it to gas moving in my body from the laproscopic surgery.

Well that wasn't the case after the results of an ultrasound, I was just released again from the hospital on 7/7/08 after undergoing a gallbladder removal. The surgeon stated I had bile sludge backed up in my gallbladder that had been triggered from the bile poisoning and the trauma of the surgery.

So I am currently sitting in a chair unable to move with six different incisions on my abdomin trying to heal, I currently do not have an OBGYN for follow up because I refuse to go back to that butcher and have not resolved the fact I have endometriosis attached to the lining of my colon, I still have one ovary with a large cyst on it, do not know if I need to undergo HRT and I have been crying uncontrollably.

I do not know if the crying is due to depression, the trauma of all these surgeries, my hormones being out of whack since the hysterectomy, anger at a physician that deided to gamble with my life that has acknowledged his negligence, the mounting hospital bills totalling $250K not including this last surgery, the fact that I am only receiving 60% on my income on STD, the idea the doctor thinks his dailiy apology is supposed to make this all better , the feal of other problems arrising out of this or that a friend of mine who is a residing judge told me this is one of the worst cases of gross medical negligence that he has ever seen.
Or the Biggest of them all, I have been in a good marriage for over 20 years and for the first time after 23 years together when I was finally able to stand up and see myself in the mirror I cried and told my husband not to look at me because I felt like I had been butchered. Of course he said all the right things by saying your alive and beautiful to me and I have never considered myself vain but the disfigurement is horrendous.

So ladies never listen to a physician ever tell you that something is routine.

I am sure I am a rare case (would be my luck) but I don't ever want another woman to endure what I have just experienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register