Help! How common is prolapse after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!  How common is prolapse after surgery? Help! How common is prolapse after surgery?

Unread 04-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Help! How common is prolapse after surgery?

Hi! I'm scheduled for a DaVinci hysterectomy on May 2, and I'm very concerned about the bladder/bowel prolapse issues I've read about. I will be getting my ovaries and uterus out, not yet sure about the cervix. How common is this with the DiVinci? My pre-op appt is tomorrow, and I plan to discuss this with my GYN, but if anyone can give me any insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 02:28 AM
Re: Help! How common is prolapse after surgery?

I am having a the DaVinci on May 24, because my uterus is prolapsed pretty bad. I asked my doctor about the possibility of other organs prolapsing, and he said he didn't think it would be a problem, based on his experience and what he is seeing so far with me.

He didn't really say why he didn't think it wouldn't be a problem, so I guess that's something to add to my list of more questions.
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:59 PM

Having DaVinci vs the other methods really has not much to do with future prolapse. Following your doctors recovery restrictions as well as recovery advice from hystersisters is your best way to avoid prolapse issues. Follow them, even if your bored and feel fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I had my pre-op appt, and my GYN said that prolapse is pretty uncommon, especially given my age, (I'll be turning 41 tomorrow!) general good health and thinner frame. So I'm hoping I won't have to worry about it, but I may just start doing some kegels up until surgery just in case. Can't hurt!
I found out that they are totally "cleaning out house," including the cervix. That makes me a little nervous. I also have to do the dreaded bowel prep the day before, including liquid diet only. Not looking forward to that!
I will definitely be taking it easy for awhile after surgery. Definitely don't want to risk injury! Thanks for the tip, cathb911!
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM

It was explained to me when I went to my Uro/Gyno that childbirth can be the beginning of prolapse. I had very large (10 lb.) babies and a very long second stage labor, resulting in forcept deliveries. Fast forward to age 59, a very strenuous job, with heavy lifting and I ended up with a stage 4 Cystocele, Rectocele, Uterine and bladder prolapse. Having the hysterectomy "fixed" the uterine prolapse, did not cause it. There is no way to know who will eventually prolapse, and many woman have stress incontinence and leak urine but never have any other issues. I wouldn't worry about having a prolapse just because you're doing the DiVinci. I don't think one way or the other makes a difference. Definately do the Kagels, but make sure you do them correctly, and if you ever do develope an issue, make sure you research and find the very best Urologist/Gynocologist that you can. I had my surgery done in two stages along with a total hysterectomy. I am almost one year out, and I am doing wonderful and have no regrets. I wish you the very best on your upcoming hyster, and hope all goes well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register