Upcoming hysterectomy 12/11: A little scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/11: A little scared Upcoming hysterectomy 12/11: A little scared

Unread 12-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/11: A little scared

My hysterectomy is Monday on the 11th. What should i expect? What food and activities should I avoid? What clothes are recommended after surgery? Will I bleed after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Re: A little scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJaye0610 View Post
My hysterectomy is Monday on the 11th. What should i expect? What food and activities should I avoid? What clothes are recommended after surgery? Will I bleed after surgery?
Your doctor will probably let you know what you can and can't do, but the things I haven't been allowed to do are: anything pulling or pushing or using the core (lifting anything heavy that is something I would pick up or carry with two hands held outstretched, vacuuming, sweeping/mopping, bending over to pick things from the floor). Showers are fine but no baths. Nothing in the vagina (that was repeated to me many times, and again at my 2 week post op).

Foods: I would just avoid anything that causes gas. I am 16 days out and had ONE broccoli floret last night with dinner and had gas pain... So this surgery keeps you honest on the food At first I ate mild stuff and not much of it. I had crackers, banana bread, applesauce, yogurt, bananas, chicken noodle soup, toast with butter and cinnamon sugar. Lots of water! I drank a good sized gatorade the day before my surgery and lots of water so I would hopefully not be dehydrated going in to surgery.

Read through the recovery progress reports threads - those helped me so much in getting an idea of what it's like to recover and what the ladies experienced.

Also the hints from members part of this website is SO helpful!! I read those threads with a notepad beside me and wrote down things I kept seeing ladies recommend and they did not let me down.

My top things I bought and used were: Large undies that are kind of snug to hold everything nice and cozy, a belly binder from this website (!!), an electric heating pad, an ice pack, a small pillow to have in the car between me and the seatbelt or for when I coughed (held it to my belly), gas-x, stool softeners, mirilax, and smooth move tea. Those things IMO are absolute musts!

So take a look around at this website and you'll get an idea of things you'll need and what to expect (for the most part - everyone is different of course).

I never bled, never spotted. Not even a tiny bit. I'm not sure if I will when my internal stitches dissolve.

And don't be scared The fear is the absolute worst part of this whole thing. The recovery is nothing compared to the pre-op fears!
Unread 12-07-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Hi i just had mine this morning. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Of course I have pain but nothing like I was imagining. I wore pjs home so I could get right in bed. And I haven't bled all that much just some spotting. You'll do great. Staci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Re: A little scared

Thank u
Unread 12-07-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopyloo View Post
Your doctor will probably let you know what you can and can't do, but the things I haven't been allowed to do are: anything pulling or pushing or using the core (lifting anything heavy that is something I would pick up or carry with two hands held outstretched, vacuuming, sweeping/mopping, bending over to pick things from the floor). Showers are fine but no baths. Nothing in the vagina (that was repeated to me many times, and again at my 2 week post op).

Foods: I would just avoid anything that causes gas. I am 16 days out and had ONE broccoli floret last night with dinner and had gas pain... So this surgery keeps you honest on the food At first I ate mild stuff and not much of it. I had crackers, banana bread, applesauce, yogurt, bananas, chicken noodle soup, toast with butter and cinnamon sugar. Lots of water! I drank a good sized gatorade the day before my surgery and lots of water so I would hopefully not be dehydrated going in to surgery.

Read through the recovery progress reports threads - those helped me so much in getting an idea of what it's like to recover and what the ladies experienced.

Also the hints from members part of this website is SO helpful!! I read those threads with a notepad beside me and wrote down things I kept seeing ladies recommend and they did not let me down.

My top things I bought and used were: Large undies that are kind of snug to hold everything nice and cozy, a belly binder from this website (!!), an electric heating pad, an ice pack, a small pillow to have in the car between me and the seatbelt or for when I coughed (held it to my belly), gas-x, stool softeners, mirilax, and smooth move tea. Those things IMO are absolute musts!

So take a look around at this website and you'll get an idea of things you'll need and what to expect (for the most part - everyone is different of course).

I never bled, never spotted. Not even a tiny bit. I'm not sure if I will when my internal stitches dissolve.

And don't be scared The fear is the absolute worst part of this whole thing. The recovery is nothing compared to the pre-op fears!
Thank u
Unread 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Hello MissJaye0610

I read your words and can relate. Wednesday I had a TAH TAG and kept both ovarie; I'm feeling ok and my family states I look as if a weight has been lifted and that I have a glow.

Like others, I would encourage you to keep your thoughts positive. You can expect a unique experience and hopefully one yielding great results. I agree with all of the suggestions mention by the previous posters. As for bleeding, I've have light spotting (like drops) but nothing heavy or major. As for food, I'm a picky eater, mainly a plant based diet with some fish here and there. I don't know you but today I pray that you have courage, love and support, and that you heal safe and quickly. Peace, light and positive vibes.
  Quote:
Unread 12-08-2017, 03:34 PM

Had my surgery Monday.... the fear and anxiety were worse than aftermath! Lots of water before definitely helped. Have been eating bland food since. Have been trying to take it easy and think did too much today .... started to feel bad so laying down. Listen to your body!!
Unread 12-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 12/11: A little scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagrits4 View Post
Hello MissJaye0610
I'm feeling ok and my family states I look as if a weight has been lifted and that I have a glow.
Aw I love that!! Doesn't it feel like the whole world has been lifted from your shoulders? I love that they said you have a glow too! Keep healing, happy recovery!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register