Gained over 20 lbs (2006) - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Twenty Pound Club

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gained over 20 lbs (2006) Gained over 20 lbs (2006)

Unread 08-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Gained over 20 lbs (2006)

I am 47 and had a total hysterectomy in '99. I am 40 pounds heavier. This stinks. I am active yet do not seem to lose weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2007, 03:41 PM

Tomorrow will be 6 weeks. I have only been out of bed a couple of days this week i still am running fevers, feel nauseous,cramping and hot,hot,hot.
I have also gained 20 lbs. and i know i am not going to be able to get it off easy. It really bums me out. And It's 100 degrees outside so i cant go for a walk. I hope thiings start looking up soon.
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:06 AM

Dear Kt, Your health after the surgery sounds like a painful recovery. There are other boards, on hormones, and eating. There is a reference board as well with articles. I am on HRT as I cannot stand to heat from my skin. Sometimes, I want to pull a Britney and shave my hair to get rid of the heat from it. I manage to walk in the heat, with the destination the air conditioned drug store four blocks away. I am so lazy. I gained weight after surgery. When I started exercising, I lost pain can be ended, and that you can get back in the swing. There are many people here who will support you as you recover your health. Judi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2007, 04:24 PM

Judi
You know my husband keeps saying that i eat too much, but when i came home from the hospital 3 days after my surgury none of my pj's fit me that i just baught. I am very swollen. There is no way i could have prevented that. My husband is very skinny so it is easy for him to tell me to exersize.
Terri
Unread 08-14-2007, 07:27 AM

Dear KT,

What you describe is normal as there is gas from the anesthetic and healing from the surgery and stitches. All the ladies have swelly belly. You can't really exercise for the first six weeks or until the doctor gives the go ahead. So be comfortable, get some or make some pull on pants and get better. When you are ready, the weight and swelling will come down. Women's bodies do change with age. We are not movie stars with surgeons on call and personal trainers. To be skinny, you'd have to starve. How can that be good?
Unread 09-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamica
I am 47 and had a total hysterectomy in '99. I am 40 pounds heavier. This stinks. I am active yet do not seem to lose weight.
Hi there,

I know exactly how you feel. I had my surgery in April and I have gained 25lbs. I have dieted and I eat very little meals and I am starting yoga now. I can't seem to lose this weight.

I am 48 years old and I am on HRT. I am doing very well with it except for the stupid weight gain. I just do not know what else to do. I am very short and 25lbs just looks awful. DH thinks I should get used to the extra weight because he says I am so much better after the surgery and with HRT, he doesn't care if I'm a little overweight.

Spoke to my DR, he really is wonderful, he says it's the HRT but since I am doing so well on it he doesn't think I should change it. He tells me no matter how I try I won't be able to lose because it's the HRT and not overeating that is causing this weight issue. I do agree to a point.

I hate the way I look but I feel great. I am in quandery(sp?).
Unread 09-22-2007, 02:28 PM

Dear Chefpeg, I was in the same situation. After surgery gained 25 lbs or so, and now have lost, but the flab is there. So whatever you do, stop gaining as there are more fat cells, and they keep wanting to fill up. I am on HRT also, and don't want to give it up either although much older than you. Had I not gained all that weight, I would not have hanging skin, oh well. The deal is that there can never be a one last pig out. Never be any extra calories or overly caloric laden foods at least for me. I got up to 155 lbs and was still going up when I said, no more. I am back to 123 lbs, and every day, I must measure out what I eat. Grains, fruit, vegetables, beans, no meat. I walk daily. I can't miss a day or I will gain. Yoga, unless power yoga for sustained enough time to get the heart rate up, won't help lose weight. I would like to lose more, but it just does not happen. If I stopped the hormones, I would be hot, and I believe look like a prune and lose bone density. Both my sisters stopped. I don't believe the doctor, because I lost weight with lots of exercise and a complete diet makeover of my own device. My sisters like to be miniature people and weigh under 115 lbs. That won't happen to me. You must eat enough to fill up, not little meals, but lots of food, but healthy and low calorie. My diet fills me up so much, I have to force myself to eat. So as far as being overweight, if the weight is in the abdomenal region, it poses a health risk. That is where the weight is on me and where it returns if I go back to eating like in the 1950's, the good and innocent era, before all the news came out about fats, salt, etc. As far as looks, there is surgery. In my case, it amazes me, that even with the belly, even being a senior, men ask me on dates. I believe it is because of the walking, the vegan food and the water. My plan is free. Please don't spend a penny on a program. I am not saying that you should eat as I do or work out as I do, just to find what works for you, and believe in yourself, not the doctor on this point; for it is not true that you will retain this much weight above your normal weight. I am six lbs over what I weighed in high school and in my sixties. So one lb a decade is not too terrible.
Unread 09-28-2007, 12:29 AM

Hello All! I'm new to this board and just wanted to check in because I've got to lose a little weight and thought that this might be a good place to find some support. 1 year prior the hyst I was up to 162 Lbs. I'm 5'5". I lost 20 lbs through reseting my metabolism which consisted of at least 45 minutes of cardio/day (treadmill, walking, or eliptical machine, or slow jog once my knees had gained some strenght) with 3 days of total body weight training in addition to the cardio. I did this for 6 days a week, with 1 rest day. So far as the diet, I did exactly what Judith has done, only I will eat no more than 10 oz of meat a day. Usually will only eat 5 oz/day as anymore seems to make me sluggish. I cut out ALL sugar and "tose's" except for the fructose in fruit. I also cut out all bread and pasta. I replaced bread with whole wheat tortillas and no more than 2 per day. All other refined or transfat (hydrogenated oils) foods were nixed, basically if it comes sealed in plastic or frozen I won't touch it. After the hyst I only gained 7 lbs, and that was due to all of the ice cream I consoled myself with along with lack of excercise. After I was cleared for resuming exercise, I started out slow, just walking for 20 min and worked my way back up to 45 min. I'm only doing upper body weights until 6 months post surgery. I've lost all of my post surg weight and am back to 141. I am working on trying to lose the last 10. I'm perfect at 130. I'm also on HRT and I don't think it has effected my ability to lose, be we will see. The reason I'm so fanatical about this is because when I turned 41, I got scared about being so overweight and all of the press about not being able to lose as easily after 40. I have alot of other health issues that deem it necessary to keep my weight at a "normal" reading in order to avoid pre-mature death. I'm not ready to go yet!!! I am convinced that the key to all of my weight loss is the exclusion of bad fats and sugar. Also, for me, exercise is imperative. I've come to accept this as a way of life, there can't be any "resting", look what happened during my "rest" after the surgery
Unread 10-06-2007, 04:17 PM

What is cla?
Unread 11-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Me Too, I gained 30+ after my surgery 2002, I just hit my 5 year cancer wellness mark wooohoooo. I had an appointment today on this very subject.
Your not alone out there

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register