7 months post hysterectomy: Resistant yeast infection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 months post hysterectomy: Resistant yeast infection 7 months post hysterectomy: Resistant yeast infection

Unread 06-16-2020, 08:29 AM
7 months post hysterectomy: Resistant yeast infection

Hi! I am now 7 months post-op. Had problems a few months before surgery with recurring yeast infections due to many antibiotics taken for BV (caused by prolonged bleeding due to :fibroids: ) :eyeroll: Uterine fibroids we’re everywhere in and on my uterus. Tried everything except IUD, including Tranexamic acid and unending progesterone therapy, but I digress! Even had one yeast infection flare up a day before surgery (along with my period!) :eyeroll: Tried 2 pills of Diflucan and Monistat cream a couple of months before surgery, and the day before before surgery, a one-day Monistat ovule. (Surgeon said it was ok). Upon exam two weeks after surgery, I was given 3 pills of Diflucan to take in a week because of an inflammatory yeast infection. It seemed to help. Two weeks later, my symptoms were back. This time a vaginal swab was taken for culture. It came back positive for c.albicans yeast! I was given Terconazole 4% cream and put on another 3 pills of Diflucan in a week with a six month maintenance course. I was instructed to take one Diflucan pill weekly for a total of six months. I took my medicine faithfully during this time, and finally felt relief! Mid-April, my symptoms appeared again while still on the Diflucan maintenance course. So much creamy discharge with off and on burning and intense itching! Due to COVID-19 restrictions, I couldn’t get an appointment with my surgeon until the beginning of June. Finally, 7 weeks of pain and suffering later, I saw a new gynecologist in a new city who specializes in vaginal infections. She swabbed my vagina and tested me for HIV and diabetes. (Resistance to fluconazole with c.albicans is uncommon, but happens in these conditions.) Thankfully, I tested NEGATIVE for both! My culture came back positive for c.albicans that has a resistance to Diflucan! (New doctor did culture and susceptibility testing!) My doctor told me that this is pretty rare for c.albicans yeast to be resistant like this. We are not sure if I have ALL azole resistance at this point. She gave me three treatment options. Yesterday, I chose 600mg boric acid suppositories once a day for two weeks, then for about a month, twice weekly boric acid suppositories for maintenance. Hope this helps someone dealing with similar issues. Dr. Google can really scare you with all types of diseases if you don’t hear experiences like mine! Will keep you posted on my battle with this rare yeast!:jump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2020, 02:23 PM
Re: Resistant yeast infection

i had yeast and BV after my surgery. i had to stay on diflucan and flagyl for months. i also had to use an over the counter vaginal PH corrector and started vaginal estrogen. i still use the vaginal estrogen a few nights a week and i haven't had either infection in 14 years.
Unread 06-16-2020, 03:04 PM

Thank you Dressedupinblue! Hope my treatment is successful as yours!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2020, 06:16 AM
Re: 7 months post hysterectomy: Resistant yeast infection

Another top tip for correcting your vaginal PH is to add a cup of apple cider vinegar to your bathwater. Blow-drying your pubic hair after you get out of the tub can also help, because yeast fungi prefer a moist environment, and this helps to keep the area dry; other top tips in this category include wearing cotton underwear, quickly changing out of wet clothing, and swapping out moisture-trapping pantyhose for thigh-high stockings. Resistant yeast infections can also be caused by a bacterial imbalance down there; a probiotic supplement that includes the strains Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1, and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14 can help to restore balance, or you can check your local health food store for probiotic products that are specially designed to be inserted directly into your vagina for targeted treatment. Antibiotics in food can also contribute to a bacterial imbalance, so of you eat meat, poultry, eggs, or dairy products, look for antibiotic-free brands - it will say so on the label. Also be sure to watch your sweet tooth, because sugar, and refined grain products that are rapidly converted to sugar, are like fertilizer for yeast fungi. Best wishes for beating these infections soon!
Unread 06-17-2020, 09:02 AM

Thank you for the great tips Tiger_Eye! I will look for the probiotics. Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register