Just scheduled my hysterectomy! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just scheduled my hysterectomy! Just scheduled my hysterectomy!

Unread 09-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Just scheduled my hysterectomy!

Thanks to everyone who posted on my last thread "taking the plunge". I really appreciate all the information and personal experiences, it was quite helpful for me in moving forward with this! I'm 43 and today I scheduled my surgery for October 1st! It will be a partial hysterectomy. They'll be taking my uterus, fallopian tubes and cervix using the Da Vinci method. I've seen a lot of posts on here that women are torn and emotional about going through this surgery. I have asked myself "Are you normal?" many times over the past few weeks because I don't seem to really care about losing my uterus. What concerns me more is the physical pain the surgery is going to cause. I'm a pretty big baby when it comes to needles and hurting. Just a trip to the dentist requires me to be completely knocked out in order to avoid a full fledged panic attack. Oh yeah, and the catheter doesn't excite me AT ALL either! Hopefully this can be done as an outpatient procedure and I can be at home, which is where I feel like I can rest the best. However I since I worry about the pain levels and being able to control it I am debating whether an overnight in the hospital would be better. Any thoughts and/or experiences with outpatient versus overnight? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Re: Just scheduled my surgery!

I had my daVinci on Aug. 14, so it will be four weeks ago on Thursday. Please don't worry about the pain. I automatically took my pain meds when they were offered so that the pain wouldn't get out of control, and I did the same when I came home, alternating the Naproxen and Ibuprofen. Five days after the surgery I didn't even need the Naproxen, and only needed the Ibuprofen a couple of times a day. I never had any extreme pain, just a soreness. As a matter of fact, I had an appendectomy last summer laparoscopically, and it was much more painful of a recovery than my hysterectomy has been. I've been able to sleep on my side since I came home, and that was almost impossible after the other surgery. I spent the night at the hospital and was glad I did since I think getting in and out of those beds are easier, and I think being able to raise the head of the bed helped me not to have the gas pains in my shoulders that some people have. I actually didn't come home until 10 at night the day after my surgery, and it was performed at 7:30 a.m.I had a reaction to the adhesive on the steri strips and band aids they used to cover the incisions, so they wanted me to be comfortable before I left, and I was glad I was there for them to check it out instead of having to call my doctor because I'd gone home. Good luck with your surgery, you will do great and be fine!
Unread 09-09-2014, 06:34 PM

I'm having the DaVinci in two weeks and I feel like you. It doesn't bother me at all to get rid of this uterus. It causes me nothing but trouble! But I am 45 and have two kids so I don't feel I need it anymore. My doctor says I will stay one night and that is fine with me too. I actually don't mind being in the hospital. It's comforting to me to know someone is there taking care of me when I'm recovering. Good luck on your surgery and recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2014, 01:19 PM

Thank you so much for sharing! Every experience really helps to put me more at ease!
Unread 09-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Jynxy,
Did you feel the need for the abdominal binder at all? I'm a side sleeper and have been seeing some people really like it for that.
Unread 09-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Re: Just scheduled my hysterectomy!

Good luck on the upcoming surgery. Mine is fast approaching, and I can't wait. I will be having the DaVinci, and I am so looking forward to "after the healing process is over" and I am no longer in pain. Again, Good Luck..
Unread 09-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Just scheduled my hysterectomy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcochran70 View Post
Jynxy,
Did you feel the need for the abdominal binder at all? I'm a side sleeper and have been seeing some people really like it for that.
I'm not Jynxy but I thought I'd answer! I've been able to sleep on my side since the night I got home from the hospital. I haven't used a binder at all. Some women use a regular or body pillow for support for side sleeping instead. Other women no matter what can't sleep on their side for weeks. Every one is different and you just have to figure out what works best for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register