Confused about Surgery and Preop | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused about Surgery and Preop Confused about Surgery and Preop

Unread 07-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Confused about Surgery and Preop

Okay so maybe I should give yall some history first. I have history of abnormal paps and pre-cervical cancer plus a family history of cerv. cancer. I have had a laproscopy to diagnose endometriosis, then I had an emergency csection, then a tubal ligation. Okay so due to my female health problems at the age of 25 my obgyn has agreed to perform a partial hyst. on me leaving the ovaries behind. So he says he is going to try to do it laproscopically and if there is too much scar tissue then he will go thru my vertical csection scar which would mean a longer recovery time.

My confusion is this, what have yall experienced with a laproscopic hysterectomy? Also, what have yall experienced with having ovaries left behind? Is there anything special I should do before the surgery?

My preop is scheduled for August 4, 2008 and my surgery will be the following week (the dr says he can't schedule it till the last week of July because he doesn't have his schedule till then).

So yeah I am confused and extremely anxious about this. I mean I shouldn't be nervous since this is my fourth surgery, but I think because it is at a hospital I don't like and I don't have a ride to take me to the hospital or anyone that can stay there in case anything happens that just makes my anxiety kicked up A LOT!

Any help yall can give me would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2008, 09:17 PM

I had a LSH mid June and I had a wonderful experience. MY biggest complaint almost 6 weeks post op is the swelling... I am still having it, especially on days I am up and doing more things(ie paint my son's room today...lol).But honestly, I felt pretty good even right after surgery. And so far, I haven't had any issues with keeping my cervix and ovaries other than some hot flashes on occasion, but my ovaries never worked right to begin with so I am not surprised.

As for before the surgery, my doc ordered a bowel prep, but it wasn't too bad. But nothing other than that for me.

I know it can be scary before the surgery, but for me, it turned out, that I spent a lot of time worrying for nothing.

As for a ride to the hospital, a cab is fine, but maybe you can have a friend come pick you up, so that if you are really sore you can have someone to lean on getting settled at home. Also, if no one will be home with you, I'd set up your room before hand so that you have things easily reachable for when you get home. Definitely some small snacks, and bottled water and things to do in case you get bored!

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing!!
Unread 07-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene8301
Okay so maybe I should give yall some history first. I have history of abnormal paps and pre-cervical cancer plus a family history of cerv. cancer. I have had a laproscopy to diagnose endometriosis, then I had an emergency csection, then a tubal ligation. Okay so due to my female health problems at the age of 25 my obgyn has agreed to perform a partial hyst. on me leaving the ovaries behind. So he says he is going to try to do it laproscopically and if there is too much scar tissue then he will go thru my vertical csection scar which would mean a longer recovery time.

My confusion is this, what have yall experienced with a laproscopic hysterectomy? Also, what have yall experienced with having ovaries left behind? Is there anything special I should do before the surgery?

My preop is scheduled for August 4, 2008 and my surgery will be the following week (the dr says he can't schedule it till the last week of July because he doesn't have his schedule till then).

So yeah I am confused and extremely anxious about this. I mean I shouldn't be nervous since this is my fourth surgery, but I think because it is at a hospital I don't like and I don't have a ride to take me to the hospital or anyone that can stay there in case anything happens that just makes my anxiety kicked up A LOT!

Any help yall can give me would be great!
I had a TAH done on 7/1/08 and I feel great. I had my cervix removed, my choice, because I didn't want to risk having mini periods, wanted it all done and over with. I kept my ovaries, I still experience breast tenderness but I don't experience mood swings anymore, so far. I think my mood swings were more from the god awful cramps I was experiencing. I decided to keep my ovaries because I didn't want to go straight into menopause, but your ovaries can go into surgical relapse and shut down, sometimes they start to reproduce hormones again and sometimes they just stay shut down, it is your choice if you don't have cancer risks in your family if you want them out or not. As far as my bedroom, I got myself some snacks and a cooler to put in my room for drinks, but never had to use it because since I came home I have been active, slowly but active, I was not bedridden and I think you will be surprised how much you can do with limitations and make sure you follow your restrictions and listen to your body. But having those things close by your bed could be a start, also cell phone if you have one, somewhere for your pain meds., a book or two, lotion in case your skin is dry, kleenex, GAS-X (plenty of it). I would agree with the other post about finding a friend to transport you, or maybe you have a neighbor that could help. Also look in the phone book there could be some kind of assistance transportation for surgery there. Or you could get someone from your church to help, if that is an option for you.When you go in fro your surgery, If you need to you can give the hospital a number of somebody that you want to have contacted after your surgery is done. That is what I did because I didn't want my mom and boyfriend to sit there for maybe 3 or more hours waiting. They took there phone numbers and they contacted them as soon as I was out of the operating room. Hope this helped, sorry it is so long but wanted to make sure I tried and answer your questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register