Scheduled TAH What is important? What isn't? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is important? What isn't? What is important? What isn't?

Unread 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Re: What is important? What isn't?

Hi, I hear ya, about not being able to concentrate, ive just finished all my freezer meals, cleaned the house, did laundry, got my grey hairs dyed, nails/toe nails done, partial bag packed....Sheesh im tired! I am scheduled Tues morning for TAH some bladder repair and im hoping to keep my ovaries.... Friday I had my self pretty much talked out of going through with this and had to talk sense back into myself through out the day! LOL I'm a mess.... Anyways I wish you good luck, I'm relying highly on deep breathing to get me through the parts I remember, and will be thankful for what I don't remember... Take care.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM

shonneesunrise - You're going to do great. We're all here wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery. Be sure to let us know how you're doing when you're on the post-op side. It really is the best place to be
Unread 08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
What is important? What isn't?

oh good luck! I'm going in Thursday so I'll be thinking about you and all the others on Tuesday! I cleaned out the bathroom cupboards? Not sure why but my house is getting very clean and organized. It's weird. I am so tired but have this strange panicky energy! My husband says he's going to take care of the meals, house, getting others where they need to go. I'm hopeful!

Good luck! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonneesunrise View Post
Hi, I hear ya, about not being able to concentrate, ive just finished all my freezer meals, cleaned the house, did laundry, got my grey hairs dyed, nails/toe nails done, partial bag packed....Sheesh im tired! I am scheduled Tues morning for TAH some bladder repair and im hoping to keep my ovaries.... Friday I had my self pretty much talked out of going through with this and had to talk sense back into myself through out the day! LOL I'm a mess.... Anyways I wish you good luck, I'm relying highly on deep breathing to get me through the parts I remember, and will be thankful for what I don't remember... Take care.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2009, 11:44 PM

Eek! The nervous housecleaning is going to get worse?! I just started that today and I'm not even scheduled yet. It hurts like a mother but I can't seem to stop myself.

Good luck on your surgeries..you guys are going to do great.
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:59 AM

Dear Kaito!!

Hi! I hear ya, sister dear, and understand the fuzzy brain thing, big time!! I'm also an Aug. 6 gal and WE CAN DO THIS!!

OK, so I've gotten the post-op wardrobe--new shorts, new super big drawstring stretch pants and it was kinda fun and it made this experience "real" for me. Still, when my friends mention "your surgery" it seems as if they're not referring to me but to someone else!

Can you do a little meditation/mindfulness breathing--very deliberate, very slow and focus on your body relaxing, your mind relaxing? I have done some very deliberate meditation in the last several weeks and it's really helped with the panic and jitters. What very special things can you do before the 6th that you find particularly calming and wonderful? Perhaps a walk in a special place, or a lovely bubble bath in lavender water or lunch with someone you can laugh with??

This is a special time in your life and you can be present and care for yourself with the help of this extraordinary "family" here. Please know that my heart and mind are with you!

We can do this thing!!

Peace,
baltchick
Unread 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM

Meditation is great! I usually spend a good amount of time everyday trying to stay in the moment. Things are overwhelming right now. I lost my job effective august 5th. So trying to deal with hr/cobra etc. Get all essentials done. Plus wrap up my volunteer work so I can take a few weeks off! Startng grad school sept 1! Everything seems to hit at once!

This website has been so great! Getting help and answers to questions I didn't even know I had! I love the lavedar water bath idea. Going to do that this afternoon! If I can find 5 minutes.

Funny thing us I seem to do just fine with all the big stuff like getting insurane paperwork, organizing play dates, getting appointments set & meeting with attorneys, advanced directive etc. While cleaning the cat box, however, stopped dead! Paralized trying to figure out who will clean the cat box!

I'm pulling for us all! I'm almist looking forward to the date just so I can stop fora while! My thoughts are withyou all! Thanks for all the encouragement!
Unread 08-03-2009, 12:09 PM

--I agree with everyone else that said all they wore in the hospital was the hospital gown. That was my experience also. The only clothes I needed were the clothes I walked into the hospital with, as that's what I wore the day I was discharged.

--I had my TAH on 7/29. All I've been wearing are dresses with empire waists that drape over my belly. Comfy, easy to move around it, yet so stylish.

--I stocked up granny panties at Target and got them a size bigger. That's been very helpful. Another thing? Make sure they are cotton as they allow the skin to breathe.

--I don't have cable at home, but I had it while in the hospital, so I spent all my time catching up on Bridezilla. I didn't need any books, etc. to bring with me.

--If don't already have some in your freezer, have some ice packs or ice cubes ready to make one. They have come in handy for me when my incision area felt like it was burning and needed relief.

--A couple days before surgery, I went grocery shopping for healthy, easy-to-eat/prepare food. Cooked some items and packaged them up for easy use later (homemade "lunchables"; prepared taco meat, put in individual containers, froze).

--If your doc already gave you your presciptions for the drugs you will need after surgery, fill them now so you don't have to do any running around later.

--Since people are offering to help, like another sister said, maybe they can prepare some meals for you, fill your prescriptions, or take you on walks. Yes! You will still have to walk after your surgery. If you are feeling good when you get home. Maybe they could stop by and walk with you. It will be a short visit, you will get some company, and they will be actively helping you get better (walking promotes passing gas, bowel movements).

--Another way people can help: Taking you to various appointments if they can.

That's all I can think of right now. It's ok to be kinda crazy right now. You have a big surgery coming up. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!
Unread 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM

All the stuff listed by the other ladies are very good suggestions. The only other clothing I'd add is some light sundresses for post-op. They are a godsend when you need to wear something but don't want to put alot of effort into dressing, lol! Best of luck with everything!
Unread 08-03-2009, 06:37 PM

I took a duster (you know, the kind our grandmother's used to wear, snaps up the front, short sleeved). That way my bottom wasn't hanging out in the hospital gowns. Also, I took candy for the hospital staff. They loved it!
Unread 08-03-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito View Post
I am having TAH in 3 days and can't think straight! I'm usually very clinical about reading surgical proceedures but can't seem to spend more than 10 minutes on this web-site reading other accounts before getting a funny feeling, almost like a panic attack, but not. I can't figure out what to wear while at the hospital (my dr. told me non-binding clothes - but what does that mean?) I don't know what to wear home from the hospital. I bought some granny panties, really just cotton briefs but they actually fit. Should I get a bigger size? I don't really know where the incision will be. I know my dr. told me but have blacked it out? It will be a lateral incision. I'm not sure why I'm focusing on this. I am very nervous about the whole thing and don't know why. I can't think straight. I feel like a wreck. All very unusual for me. People are asking what they can do and I don't have any idea. Help! Any advise about what is really important to take care of now and what isn't would be sooooo helpful.

Thanks!

I had my TAH on July 1, lateral incision and it's healed beautifully! You will wake up sore on the other side, but mentally you will feel like a new person. All this will be behind you. I too cleaned and cooked like a maniac 4 or 5 days before surgery. Take a little time to do something for yourself, mani/pedi, haircut, Starbucks, whatever, as long as it's for you! Best of luck girls!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register