Scheduled LAVH nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM
nervous

Hello,

My surgery is Monday and tho I am blessed to have support to help me and my family out while I am on the road to recover the first couple of weeks....I am finding butterflies beating in my belly and and my vains running too fast with the rush of blood....

I keep telling myself that at the end of the day, you will recover and it will be the best choice in the long run. No more heavy bleeding and cramping that takes you to the bed....

But my brain and my body are at odds. Any ideas how to cool the jets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Re: nervous

I feel for you. The anticipation and anxiety leading up are far worse than the actual proceedure. I had anxiety meds that I used more than normal the 3 days leading up to it. Then I told them how nervous I was at check in and they gave me something in my IV and I was fine. When you are done just rest, rest, rest, drink water, walk, take pain meds. I was discharged the same day and was home in my bed by 1:30 pm. I don't think most people are discharged that quickly.
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM

This is an absolute cliche - and when I read it pre-op - I thought 'yeah right'... but the waiting will be the worst part.

Prepare as much as you can - make lists - make you nest(s) at home - prepare/plan meals for recovery - get a list of what you think may need to be done (by others) - when is trash day - getting your mail etc. What you are going to pack to take to the castle.

Most importantly a list of questions for your doc/nurses pre-op and post-op.

When I stopped and thought about what was making me nervous - for me - it was the thought of giving up control (which I do not do well - LOL). I thought about who I was giving the control to - the doc, hospital staff, and friends... and determined that I had complete confidence in all of those people. I did the list thing - keeping control over everything that I could and then gave it to my higher power.

I knew that I am - and you are - a woman, you are strong, and you will do great !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Do something fun this weekend - go to the movies and dinner (before you have to start prep) - go get a mani/pedi (no color). Do something that brings you joy this weekend !!!
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM

Thank you ladies for the encouragment...I am a bit of a control freak (most women are) lol...I am so lucky for the support system I have. I am for sure a list person....at my pre op appt the Dr smiled when he seen my 20 questions. LOL...I created a list of who and when and where...I created a list of what meals to be prepared and what I need to do before surgery...I have a list of everything....You are right it does help to know it is all under control and to remember to let go and know ppl will take care of you. Hey they may even do a better job.
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM

si0dj8,
Like CAsista said, the waiting and anticipation were worse than the actual event. As soon as you get to the hospital, let them know how you feel and they will give you something to calm you. Afterwards you can just focus on recovery. Think of how much better your life will be after this is over. Hang in there sweetie, you are almost there.
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:51 PM

We all feel that way before surgery. Nerves trying to get the best of us. It didn't hit me until a the day before my surgery. I was having panic attacks and people kept telling me it was for the best and I would feel better after it was all done and over with. It's true what they say. My doctor gave me Xanax for the night before and on the way to the hospital. I had problems with bleeding and horrible cramps. Since surgery I haven't had any of those problems. I am so happy I did this. Once it is done and over with you will be so relieved. Try to keep yourself busy or hang out with friends and family. It will be done and over with before you know it. Your doctors and nurses know what to do. They do this kind of surgery all the time. You can do this
Unread 08-02-2013, 02:19 PM

I was on pins and needles the weekend before my surgery (I had mine on feb. 11 2013). I hardly slept the sunday night before. My eyes popped right open at 5 the morning of my surgery. We had to be there at 6. Anyway, when I was in the room waiting for them to take me up to the pre-op room i was a mess until a texas longhorn game review came on and then they came to take me. Of course after they gave me two of the cocktails I was fine and relaxed, to the point of crying because I heard a baby crying and was asking them to go find it and take care of it. Waiting was the hardest part for me as everyone else. You will do fine. Good luck and if you have any questions we are here for you.
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:16 PM

si0dj8

My surgery is on the same day as yours. I'm pretty nervous also(that's putting it mildly). I went to the hospital today to pre register.I thought to myself, the next time I come here it will be for the surgery. I keep telling myself everything is going to be fine. We will get through this. I will be thinking about you on Monday and all the other sisters too.
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:35 PM

I am so glad to have this site to know this is not strange to feel nervious. I know I will be fine and recover well....it is so wonderful to hear from those in my shoes and have been there.

Hot Tomato! love the name you and I will be thinking positive thoughts for you too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register