Scheduled TLH Upcoming hysterectomy 9/29: Newbie questions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 9/29: Newbie questions! Upcoming hysterectomy 9/29: Newbie questions!

Unread 09-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/29: Newbie questions!

Hello to all you beautiful ladies!
I honestly am not totally sure which surgery I will have, only know it will be laparoscopic. I am 41, have had cancer twice and am experiencing pain from a solid cyst in my left ovary plus really bad adenomyosis. Time for it to all come out! Surgery is scheduled for Sept 29th and I feel very unprepared even though I have read a ton! I am in very good physical shape and am a runner. What can I expect and does anyone have any pointers for me? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Re: Newbie questions!

Hi Christinastrong to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

I am not sure anyone is fully prepared for MAJOR SURGERY, especially THIS surgery.

Recovery is different for everyone, with some taking longer than others. But no matter the surgery type, you still have much internal healing to do. You do need to think in terms of weeks and not days. Being in good physical shape does help, however no one knows what it will be like until you are there. They will get you up and walking the day of or day after your surgery. You will be taking many walks as these help you heal. You will not be bedridden, but you will need to rest much. You will need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will need to take time off work. How long depends on how fast you recover and your job duties. Still plan on weeks and not days.

Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. Be sure to read the related articles. What I found most useful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets.
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

Just remember that you are not alone in this - we are here for you.

Unread 09-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/29: Newbie questions!

Hi Christinastrong!
to Hystersisters

I found many of the articles on this site very helpful while I was preparing for my surgery.

Prior to surgery, I usually wore regular sweatpants around the house but found after surgery, I only wanted to wear loose, comfortable clothing. I bought several nightgowns and loose dresses to wear after surgery. I actually brought one of the loose dresses to the hospital with me so I would have something comfortable to wear home after surgery.
Some other tips that I found helpful were...
--giving the house a really good cleaning before surgery since it was going to be several weeks before I would be able to do some of the housework
--moving items that I used frequently from the higher shelves to lower shelves so I wouldn't have to stretch to reach them
--kept lots of lists of things that I need to buy ahead of time, things to do before surgery, questions to ask my doctors at my pre-op appointments
--setting up your recovery space with several pillows and stuff that you will want during your recovery (medications, notebooks, pen, remote control, books, etc)

You have a great support system with Hystersisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2017, 06:20 AM

And if you have anything on EITHER side of your bed, clean it. Dust it. Get rid of what does not need to be there. I cleaned my whole room, except hubby's dresser. Low and behold, I needed to move to his side of the bed for a bit. And it was DUSTY! I couldn't stop coughing and sneezing! It was horrible. NOT a good way to recover at all.
I agree, make sure you have something you keep track of your medications on. AND make sure people who are going to look at it, understand how it reads. (Vital, and I found that out the hard way!)
I hated the dresses. And have been in loose pj bottom pants, or pants that are several sizes to big. I am normally a small, and you just don't know how much swelling you might have. I am wearing size large sweat/yoga pants. They are baggy, but they are not tight. And that can be an issue.
Have some good books to read. And a variety of them. What I *thought* I would read... I have zero interest in. Honestly, several of my first days, and still now, (I am 3 weeks out) are spent playing on my tablet, playing words with friends, or some other dumb game I found that keeps my mind busy.
If you write physical letters to people. Get stamps ahead of time. I still have letters to go out...
As a runner also, you will have the urge to run. DO NOT DO IT. I sooo want to get out and stretch my toes. But I have not even walked into town yet....
We are here for you.
Hugs.
Unread 09-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/29: Newbie questions!

The not running is going to be the hardest!! Thanks so much - I think I have most things under control. My bedroom is upstairs though so I will be trading with my youngest so will clean her room up well (didn't even think of that!). Thanks again, happy recovery to you!
Christina
Unread 09-07-2017, 07:24 PM

Hi Christinastrong -

Ask your doctor if you will have stair restrictions. You may not have to change with your child, as long as you do the stairs VERY SLOWLY. Have someone walk beside you the first few days. Although you may be changing for another reason.

I got home from the hospital 3 1/2 days after surgery and I was able to do stairs. I went up and down stairs VERY SLOWLY and DH walked beside me for the first few days. I live in a split level house, so our bedroom is upstairs, our kitchen and living room are the main level, and the family room and computer room are on the lower level. So, I was constantly taking stairs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register