Answering colleagues' "How are you"? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Answering colleagues' "How are you"? Answering colleagues' "How are you"?

Unread 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Re: Answering colleagues' "How are you"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embee28 View Post
I'm dreading the same thing. The doc has me out until the 1st of Feb, but due to year end bonus and performance discussions, I will likely go back a bit sooner... when the doc originally told me 6-8 weeks I sort of thought it was excessive... I'm now at 3 weeks and suffering from the "you look good" syndrome - and thinking I need to be 100% before I go back... Of course "looking good" now is because I take 2 hours to shower and get dressed 3 x a week when company is coming - if I had to get ready daily for work, I could not do it -- the holidays taught me that even sitting and enjoying company was too much - now its back to PJ's and the old movies on TV between short walks, light house duty and slowly getting myself back together.

I even had a colleague show up in the hospital the day I was being discharged... That got me thinking that I needed my privacy more than ever and that I needed to take this time for myself. - Have given far too much of myself in the past 2 years and need to recuperate properly!!!

Stay well!
i am surprised that your Dr told you 6-8 weeks with a Davinci procedure? i thought those were supposed to be the easiest to recover from? i thought taking 5 weeks with the LAVH would be plenty, but now I wonder? it has been 2 weeks for me so far, and I dont' know what i am going to be like in 3 more weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2011, 03:53 PM

I just am guessing here, but having had a c-section once myself,and now davinci for this: I think it's less painful a recovery and we are quicker to get up and about more easily, but the same stuff was done internally.

My answer to my coworkers is this: I just picked up paperwork from my Dr. I'm day #13 today. He wrote on the paperwork "Estimated" underlined heavily on each one, Jan 30, 2012, so it's cut and dry, I'm not released, therefore I can't come back yet. And I have no idea if my cuff will be healed or not like I've read others post, so it could be a week or more after that. Nothing more to say seeing that myself.

It's just not fair so much pressure is put on any of us.
Unread 12-29-2011, 03:59 PM

the general people are so misinformed about these procedures but on my dot on the map i am spreading the word that YOU ARE NOT BETTER WHEN YOU GO BACK TO WORK! you only have work release
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM

I work at a YMCA, so go there for my walk when the outside weather does not cooperate. I asked for 6 week, my boss was kind enough to give me 7, with the option to come back early if I want. Now at 2 1/2 weeks out I cannot fathom going back early. I am on my feet pretty much 100% of the time. When my coworkers ask how I am doing I tell them I am healing well but am still tired, sleeping and resting a lot. Which is the complete truth! I work with great people, they truly care. I am looking forward to going back to work, but not even 1 day before my body is ready.
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM

good for you beth!!you need all that time especially if you have strenuous job.you'll start feeling really well just pace yourself
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM

I had the Dr. write my return to work at 5 weeks post op. I have already been 3 weeks without any pay. But am starting to worry about going back on Jan. 3rd working with Special Ed. kids. I still need to go to the bathroom "NOW" if I have the urge, still can't sit for a long period of time, can't sit in an unpadded chair yet, still have crying for no apparent reason yet, still have my 10# lifting/pushing restrictions. Also, they changed my schedule while I've been out on leave. So nervous!
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:29 PM

I was cleared for work at 8 weeks. I could just barely manage it. Even now at 5+ months I am struggling. I am so tired of my DH's family asking me why I'm not better by now. And as for work colleagues when they ask how I am I just say okay. Lying is easier than trying to explain how I feel and why it's taking so long. Share what you feel comfortable with but remember, the more you share the more involved people get and then they offer their well-meaning but un-educated opinions.
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:39 PM

miss sugar n spice you are so right!!!i told work there's no way i can work shceduled 6 days just 5 or nothing.money was my issue for going back 5 days last week if i would've had a couple more bills paid i would've waited i feel as though i am ruining myself.so right about uneducated people that "know" everything about surgery and your own health -sick to death of it.i had a customer tell me his wife was fine after 2 weeks after hers.i said did she waitress 2weeks after procedure?that stupid phrase "better by 6 weeks" in a load of crap.i still feel like i been hit by mack truck by the time i crawl into my home or what's left of it cause every since the maid had hysterectomy home is in shambles.if i could afford it i'd throw away every dirty dish and clothing and start fresh.
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM

I'd tel them, I am doing weel thank you for asking, but I still get tired at times and may be a bit longer till I get to my ole self! I had my partial hyster on 10th of August and then an internal bleeding surgery on the 12th and today i am still so tired and quite moody!! I have still been pain the past 2 months, and found out that I need to have an ovary removed due to it dropping on my cuff line. I do not know how to tell people eithier. I feel the same way, i look fine, but still not myself!
Hugs!
Unread 12-30-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwool View Post
I go back to work...teaching...Jan. 3rd...My plan is to leave right after school for a couple of weeks instead of staying the extra hour after...my job is flexible enough that I can sit when I need...I teach 3rd grade...and even though they are still quite young...they are quite independent at that age...I think it will be the grading that will get to me at the beginning...but I have some great moms in my class that have offered to help with that. I am blessed that I teach at a small private school...I know those first weeks I will come home exhausted and will probably sleep as soon as I get home...but also it will help me mentally to be back to work...not to be so focused on myself and every ache and pain that I experience.

I know I am not completely healed...still need to take it easy...but it will be good to get back to some sort of normalcy...with that said I will not hesitate to let my coworkers and administrators know that I need to still take it easy...and to be on "light duty" so to speak for a few weeks.
Let your moms know you would like some help especially the first opulent of weeks. You might get the word out to the room moms, since it's 3rd grade could you have assignments where parents can help grade. When my kids were younger, even in private school they graded each other papers. I'm sure there are moms who would love to help you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register