Questions for pre-op on 15th???? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions for pre-op on 15th???? Questions for pre-op on 15th????

Unread 05-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Questions for pre-op on 15th????

Some more excellent suggestions! I just now printed these out, as I did soume of the others, too! Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2003, 11:39 AM

Hi, Annie. First, I think you're being very pro-active about the upcoming surgery which is great. It always makes me feel like I'm participating in my ultimate recovery by asking questions. There's certainly enough time for you to have any additional tests before the surgery if your doctor determines that anything else might be needed. As my doctor said to me, "Maureen, the more we know about this going in, the better prepared we'll be for what we discover once we're in there." Was she ever right!

And you're so right, everyone's case is different. While the pre-surg testing did do an EKG, a stress test wasn't required. Neither was a colonoscopy. But, I'll tell you this... Bearing in mind that they did find cancer in my ovaries and uterus, when I see my surgeon on the 12th for a post-op visit, I'll be asking him what, if any, new tests should be taken. A lot of people have made some very good suggestions that I woudn't have thought of. In fact, a nurse friend of mine even suggested that I have a "whole-body cat scan". I'm sure it would be outrageously expensive, but since they did find cancer, you can bet I'll be aksing my doctor if this is something I should have.

It's good that you'll be considering a longer hospital stay. I had a TAV/BSO and my doctor was ready to let me go home on day 3 after surgery (it was Easter Sunday). I'm sure they thought they were doing me a favor, too. I just cried and said that I wasn't ready to go home. In fact, I had only just had my first taste of "solid" food (scrambled egg) that a.m.! The question everyone kept asking me in the hospital was, "Did you pass any gas yet?" In fact, I didn't pass gas until the day after I got home! Yeeoowieee!

Here's my strongest suggestion to you: Please make sure someone is with you during those first 24 hours at home regardless of whether it is 3 days, 4 days, or 5 days post-op. God forbid something happen in the middle of the night. On my first night home, I woke up at 2:10 a.m. I wasn't scheduled to take the next Darvacet until 3:00 a.m. Rather than stay up till 3 or take the Darvacet early, I decided to go back to sleep and figured I'd take the next pill when I woke up. No big deal, right? Well, shortly after 5:00 a.m. I woke up in such intense pain that I panicked. I yelled for my husband to "Get up, get up, get up, get up!!!!!" It's all very scary when you're just out of surgery.

God Bless.
Unread 05-02-2003, 01:25 PM

Further to Ellen's note:

The first solid food that my hospital brought me was a lumpy salisbury steak excuse for meat thingie with gravy on top of cold mashed potatoes . . . with "imitation fruit punch drink." I took one look at that and thought, "Now, how is this cancer-fighting food?" I thus asked the nurse for six apple juices, and just drank four of those.

I eventually got some turkey and rice, and a few other things that were tolerable. But I had no problem not eating stupid food that was placed in front of me. I actually wasn't all that hungry in the hospital, so I didn't think to ask any friends to bring me food, even though I had a lot of visitors. I just didn't care, as long as I had apple juice. :-)

Earplugs would've been a great idea. I didn't sleep much in the hospital . . . until my roommate and I were able to get the night nurse to agree to shut our door. :-) Don't be afraid to ask that your door be shut. They might not do it . . . but they might! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2003, 01:43 PM

Well, I guess I had a totally different experience that the rest of you.

Like I said before,,, Had my surgery very late Thursday afternoon, and went home early sunday morning.

No Pain, no problems, and was absolutely fine at home. Did not even take the pain killers, although I did fill the prescription.

Five weeks after surgery I went back to work. I am not going to say that the whole thing was enjoyable but it did not put me out to pasture.

Maureen,, How did the staple removing go??? Did Jeri, his top nurse take them out?? Also,,, any more information on the chemo??

Turns out Maureen and I live very close to each other and used the same doctors....Imaging that!!

Rosalie
Unread 05-02-2003, 02:37 PM

Reply to Rosalie: Yes, Jeri took the staples out on Monday a.m. All well here. I'm healing up very nicely. Getting some energy back and am definitely more active (though not over the top). I can sneeze without swooning, too!

I've got a consultation with the chemo Dr. on Wednesday the 7th but I won't be seeing the radiation Dr. until the 20th. I understand I have to be all healed from the surgery before they can start and the visit with the radiation Dr. will be just over 1 month post-op. So for now, I'm taking suggestions, resting up and getting stronger and trying to re-gain some of the weight I lost after surgery. (I have never in my life had to "try" and gain weight. This must be the silver lining!! LOL)

Thanks for asking. Love to all,
Unread 05-02-2003, 03:10 PM

Hi Maureen

Glad all went well... Enjoy that weight loss now. I too lost 30 pounds between the surgery and not eating due to loss of appetite. Unfortunately, once the appetite came back so did the weight. I also gained 25 pounds while on chemo. My oncologist told me NOT to diet during this time and to eat anything that tasted good because your taste buds may change while taking chemo. WELL,,,, I took her literally and ate whateve I wante. Thus....25 pounds between the eating, the chemo, and the steroids. I got 10 of them off so far....thank goodness!!

Keep in touch

Rosalie
Unread 05-02-2003, 06:05 PM

Hi Maureenie, SirenSong and Rosalie! Maureenie, I found out today I will be having stress test, EKG, chest xray and blood work before surgery. Also, I will be staying with someone for 2 or 3 days after I get out of hospital. After I get home, someone will check on me first few days home and run the vacuum for me occasionally. I want my pups back with me as soon as I can handle that!! They are my furkids!!

SirenSong, about food at the hospital, I'm a vegetarian, well, a semi-vegetarian. I eat chicken, turkey or fish occasionally, and I do eat dairy food and drink milk. I just don't eat anything that can look me in the eye with big brown eyes. haha Anyway, I wonder if they would cooperate with me on that at the hospital?

Also, I'm taking earplugs with me!!

Rosalie, it's so wonderful that your recovery went so smoothly!! I hope I'm so lucky!

It's really a small world, right Rosalie and Maureenie!

You have a pretty tough road ahead Maureenie, but you sound so positive and I think that's terrific!! I'm learning so much from all of you! Regardless of how it goes for me--good or bad--I'm still learning some very valuable lessons here!! Love and Blessings...
Unread 05-02-2003, 07:36 PM

s Annie

I just want to double stress what others have mentioned briefly. Please insist that a gyn oncologist be present during your surgery. If the mass is found to be cancerous, a gyn onc is your first line of defense for proper debulking.
I had my surgery on a Thursday and was discharged the following Tuesday. My patient controlled analgesic pump was never turned off until Monday.

karenann
Unread 05-02-2003, 08:13 PM

Karenann, I checked today and an oncologist will be available during surgery, and my gynocologist will be performing the surgery. I'd trust her with my life.
Unread 05-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Here's what else I took with me...

Everyone has wonderful suggestions. I brought my own bathrobe because it made me feel better. I also brought one of my kids' GameBoy with one game, just to pass the time. I listened to CD's with headphones instead of using earplugs. It had the same effect, but it was very relaxing for me.

Someone got to take a shower in the hospital??? I had my LAVH on Thurs and went home on Sat. No one mentioned a shower. I felt gross! Then I had my staging and BSO on a Tuesday and went home on Thursday. Again, no one asked if I wanted to shower! I guess that's Detroit hospitals for ya!

And the food...if you can call it that...was horrible at one hospital, but much better at the 2nd hospital that I went to. I think they actually had chefs!

Good Luck...may you be cancer-free.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register