A quick trip to the mall...4 wks post op??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A quick trip to the mall...4 wks post op??? A quick trip to the mall...4 wks post op???

Unread 10-17-2000, 11:33 AM
A quick trip to the mall...4 wks post op???

Sisters, I was wondering...it is my DH/s b-day on Thursday(10/19)...the same day as my 4 wk check up. I am doing well..sore after sitting too long....really sore on rainy damp days. A quick trip to the mall is a 35 minute trip each way,I could take a quick stroll into the mall and grab a gift and come home. Should I do it???
Doing well...abdominal supracervical 9/21 kept the ovaries.Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2000, 12:34 PM

If you are not feeling too tired, I would try it. I am 4 weeks post op and have been to Wal-mart and Costco (50 min. drive each way) without any major problems. See if you can find someone to go with you just in case, and don't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk!

Good Luck!
Melanie
Unread 10-17-2000, 12:38 PM

Jo,
At 4 weeks to go out a bit is okay. I would take someone with you as Melanie suggested, just in case you do get tired and that person can drive you home. I wouldn't lift anything heavy still. I am 13 weeks post and I know about the time that you are at I was going stir crazy. Just take your time walking thru. You'll be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2000, 12:43 PM

Jomar,

My DH's birthday is this Thursday also. He will be 48. I am one week behind you in my surgery. I was fortunate to be able to get his present before my surgery. I just had a bad feeling that I wouldn't be able to do it after. If you feel pretty good and take someone with you, you probably will be able to do it. Know what you want before you go and come straight home and REST after!

Best of luck to you and happy birthday to your hubby!

Love
KarenB
Unread 10-17-2000, 03:05 PM
Go

Go on to the mall and enjoy your outing. Remember not to rush yourself. You have been out of the action for some time now. It will take you longer just to do some of the things that we usually do with ease. Remember not to carry packages. That is so hard to remember. You will be tempted to put just one more bag on your arm but DON'T. Have Fun and maybe a special snack or coffee while you are out. The friend idea is a good one.

Menae
Unread 10-17-2000, 05:45 PM

If you feel good, why not? I was going out to the grocery store (not driving) at a few days postop, but not carrying the groceries. Actually, I got out quite a bit but did not drive the first 3 weeks. We are all different; it really depends on how you feel!
Unread 10-17-2000, 07:35 PM

Jomar - I am not quit two weeks and I have been to the mall. Yes I was tired when we were done and I did not stay very long. So if you feel up to it give it a try. Do you have a girlfriend who could go with you??
shell
Unread 10-18-2000, 07:59 AM

Oh that is so encouraging girls ! I'm one week post op and don't care to think about the mall or Walmart !
Unread 10-18-2000, 02:41 PM

The mall is appealing and ESSENTIAL. Only, do it when you can and have a back-up if you do decide to go alone...i.e., your hubbie, mother, friend isn't too far away to come and get you. You can always sit and have a lovely cup of coffee (you know you always wanted to do this, but never have the time.) gather up your energy and return home. Make a day of it and stop along the way if you need to for a little nap. You may sleep the entire next day...it's O.K.!!!! It' O.K.!!!!
Getting out made me feel great, and, I wanted to eat everything in sight, I felt like I had been stuck on a desert island for a year...what's up with that? Too much chicken broth!! (I have to say, chicken broth has come a long way!!!)
Best of luck sweetie
Denise
Unread 10-19-2000, 08:52 AM

I was out and about very early. I went to the mall with my DH, had lunch and bought a present for my aunt at 10 days post-op. Of course, I came home and slept for two hours. As long as you feel up to it, go ahead, just remember to rest after! I went out quite a bit for the first few weeks (not driving). I am driving now, but still only go out when I really need to. Don't lift anything heavy, it's okay to ask for help!
Good luck,
Stephane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register